You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prince

Mendoza

I've posted that a few times before because I fucking love the way all those old farts who think of themselves as rock gods are blown off the stage by the genius black lad who plays the guitar like they could only dream.

I've seen that before and you're right.  It's especially effective because you know a lot of people would see the names there and think 'oh yawn, Prince - pop guy they dragged in just because he's a big name' and yeah sure enough they've just stuck him on the end to strum along.  Then halfway through he steps up to the front, all 5'2" of him, dressed like a Cuban pimp and just shreds the fucking shit out of them for the best part of three minutes, looking like the coolest motherfucker in the universe whilst he's doing it.

Its taken me a couple of days to even get my head round this.  The period when he became a global superstar mapped pretty much exactly to my school years ('82 to '89) and during that time I was mainly into metal.  I hated 'pop' in the visceral way that ony a teenager can hate something, I thought pretty much anything with a synth in it was shit by definition, in fact I thought pretty much anything that more than five people in my class liked was shit by definition.  I never thought that about Prince though, I thought he was awesome because although he made what most people thought of as pop music, he could also play the guitar like Hendrix.

It's probably fair to say that he was one of the artists who was most responsible for me dropping that childish perception of music where you like one genre and have an almost slavish devotion to it.  Sign o' the Times is a case in point, both the song itself and the album were so far away from the kind of music I was usually listening to at the time but my 16 year old self didn't have a defence against that level of awesome.

Thing is, I know loads of people who could tell you the same story but with a different kind of music.  He was such a genre-defying juggernaut of sheer fucking talent that no matter what you were into, you could find something in his music to like.  He also managed to be ubiquitous at a time before social media existed, when you couldn't just pop onto spotify or youtube and listen to whatever you wanted and the only places you could read about music were NME, Melody Maker and shit teenage magazines.

The word genius gets thrown around far too often these days but in this case, it was absolutely accurate.

• Upvote 7

I've seen that before and you're right. It's especially effective because you know a lot of people would see the names there and think 'oh yawn, Prince - pop guy they dragged in just because he's a big name' and yeah sure enough they've just stuck him on the end to strum along. Then halfway through he steps up to the front, all 5'2" of him, dressed like a Cuban pimp and just shreds the fucking shit out of them for the best part of three minutes, looking like the coolest motherfucker in the universe whilst he's doing it.

Its taken me a couple of days to even get my head round this. The period when he became a global superstar mapped pretty much exactly to my school years ('82 to '89) and during that time I was mainly into metal. I hated 'pop' in the visceral way that ony a teenager can hate something, I thought pretty much anything with a synth in it was shit by definition, in fact I thought pretty much anything that more than five people in my class liked was shit by definition. I never thought that about Prince though, I thought he was awesome because although he made what most people thought of as pop music, he could also play the guitar like Hendrix.

It's probably fair to say that he was one of the artists who was most responsible for me dropping that childish perception of music where you like one genre and have an almost slavish devotion to it. Sign o' the Times is a case in point, both the song itself and the album were so far away from the kind of music I was usually listening to at the time but my 16 year old self didn't have a defence against that level of awesome.

Thing is, I know loads of people who could tell you the same story but with a different kind of music. He was such a genre-defying juggernaut of sheer fucking talent that no matter what you were into, you could find something in his music to like. He also managed to be ubiquitous at a time before social media existed, when you couldn't just pop onto spotify or youtube and listen to whatever you wanted and the only places you could read about music were NME, Melody Maker and shit teenage magazines.

The word genius gets thrown around far too often these days but in this case, it was absolutely accurate.

I've always thought of Prince as two things. What Hendrix could have become or his reincarnation.

• Upvote 2

treat yourself.

Again? Already?

Just read this in an article about the making of the film:

"For one long moment in 1984, the mixture of music, movie and persona melded together and the world lost it’s mind over a film that ends with a five-foot man masturbating a guitar until it climaxes."

Again? Already?

Just read this in an article about the making of the film:

"For one long moment in 1984, the mixture of music, movie and persona melded together and the world lost it’s mind over a film that ends with a five-foot man masturbating a guitar until it climaxes."

There's a video doing the rounds that shows the original recording of Purple Rain used in the film. It's fucking ace, it's edited slightly for the film but the guitar solo is original.

As you said yesterday, the little sex thimble.