You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 97

Anubis

Tremendous news, all the right answers at last. Now lets have proper accountability for those now held responsible.

Such brave,determination from all the Campaigners that have finally led to the truth coming out.

GOD BLESS ALL THOSE INVOLVED,AND REST IN PEACE THE 96, AND THOSE WHO HAVE SADLY PASSED AWAY BEFORE HEARING TODAY'S CONCLUSION.

• Upvote 2

You can bet Anne Williams has a smile on her face today.

Well done to all involved. Incredible victory against all the odds.

YNWA.

I was doing alright until I saw a picture of her on Facebook.

Got to me.

A true working class hero.

I don't do inspirational quotes usually. However, today, this seems apt.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win."

Mahatma Gandhi

• Upvote 4

If all this had been said all those years ago, an awful lot of people could have tried to move on as best they could. It's a tragedy that trying to hide the truth just prolonged the pain for so many families. Shame on successive governments for hoping it would go away.

It didn't and they didn't.

Forget rivalries, forget sport, they were just people living life. It could have been a concert, or a fire alarm in a shopping mall - safety was compromised, and those could control did so negligently.

What a joyous and shameful day today is. Joy for those who persevered - not to bask in the mourning, but to clear the names of the innocent dead. And shame on those who let it take so long.

Now it's there in black and white for the world to see.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

CPS will consider criminal charges.

So they should, people went out of their way to hide the truth to save their own arses, they deserve to be prosecuted. 

Luckily I'm not in court this morning as I'm holding back a few tears here. Finally, something approaching a semblance of justice for the families.

im letting them flow mate 27  years later and at last answers for those brave familes and the 96 im sure we can all have a pint later and raise it to the sky with a smile at last 

• Upvote 1

When you see all the 'Yes' responses to the questions about responsibility, none of the police, the owners of Sheffield Wednesday, the ambulance service wanted to accept that. 27 years of putting the blame on the dead and the survivors. Then making the families suffer too. The family members who didn't live to see this day. Just filled with an overwhelming sadness now for them. But hopefully, the families, their loved ones and the survivors can have some peace now in whatever form that comes in for them.

Fantastic news but also unbelievably sad and emotional.

Watched it in work with a few people who sit by me and one of them, a 62 year old fella who I've sat next to for ages and been for a few pints with plenty of times, started crying when question six was read out.

Turned out he was there that day and had a season ticket but gave it up after that. I didn't even know he liked football as he never mentions it. Had a massive lump in my throat watching him but I'm also so happy for people like him and, of course, the family and friends who lost loved ones.

"This has been the greatest miscarriage of justice of our times. But, finally, it is over. After 27 long years, this is real justice for the 96, their families and all Liverpool supporters. The survivors of this tragedy can finally be remembered for what they were on that day - the heroes of Hillsborough who tried to help their fellow fans.‘

The Hillsborough Independent Panel gave us the truth. This Inquest has delivered justice. Next must come accountability. For 27 years, this police force has consistently put protecting itself above protecting those hurt by the horror of Hillsborough. People must be held to account for their actions and prosecutions must now follow.

Disgracefully, lawyers for retired police have attempted to continue the cover-up in this courtroom. They made it an adversarial battle in defiance of the Lord Chief Justice’s ruling. This has been brutal on the Hillsborough families and put them through hell once again. The current leadership of South Yorkshire Police needs to explain why it went back on its 2012 apology at this Inquest, prolonging the agony for the families.

The sense of relief we feel is tempered by the knowledge that this day has taken far too long in coming. The struggle for justice has taken too great a toll on too many. But the Hillsborough families have at long last prevailed and finally their loved-ones can rest in peace.

Andy Burnham MP

• Upvote 3