You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 97

Anubis

8 minutes ago, TheRedMachine said:

Was in same ITU as me in Royal Hallamshire. Tony Bland next to me, and Andrew a few beds along. I have no memory of it obviously as I was in a coma. Rest easy Andrew.

How I survived fuck knows. Very sad day. Again. another one.

Bloody hell, shocking.

24 minutes ago, TheRedMachine said:

Was in same ITU as me in Royal Hallamshire. Tony Bland next to me, and Andrew a few beds along. I have no memory of it obviously as I was in a coma. Rest easy Andrew.

This post has just stopped me in my tracks. I can't find any words.

• Upvote 1

What is it with Nottingham Forest fans?. Stan Collymore tweets about JFT97 and a couple of Forest fans reply saying they were there and "know the real truth". 

It's not the first time I've seem them post shit like this the last few years. I talked to one on holiday who kept going quiet and changing the subject whenever it got brought up. 

Are they all feeling guilty that they didn't do much to help on the day while Liverpool fans were saving people with advertising boards?

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

What is it with Nottingham Forest fans?. Stan Collymore tweets about JFT97 and a couple of Forest fans reply saying they were there and "know the real truth". 

Yes, the truth was they thought we were rioting and all of them were booing until the first advertising board stretchers went past them.

Many of them then started applauding as I recall.

Despite that, and the overwhelming evidence that there was no wrongdoing by our supporters, there are still those in this country, and beyond, who think they “know what actually happened”. 

They also think the earth is flat, that there are 5G chips in the COVID injections and that David Icke is a full shilling.

Our differences are what make the world go round, rightly or wrongly, and it would be a boring place if we all thought and believed the same things.

We can appreciate many of the differences and beliefs without agreeing with them and can scorn the others, because we were also there, and we actually do know what happened, and we’ve stood alongside the families of the 97 and the survivors since then and they’ve been proved right time and again.

And that is all that matters.

RIP Andrew. YNWA.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 29/07/2021 at 17:06, TheRedMachine said:

Bloody hell - glad you made it through mate.

Rest in piece to the 97 souls. That picture is proper nice - poignant.

On 29/07/2021 at 17:56, Doctor Troy said:

It's not the first time I've seem them post shit like this the last few years. I talked to one on holiday who kept going quiet and changing the subject whenever it got brought up. 

Are they all feeling guilty that they didn't do much to help on the day while Liverpool fans were saving people with advertising boards?

They were singing 'you got us kicked out of Europe' all the time until their chairman went to their end of the ground waving his arms in a 'pipe down' movement. I suppose it didnt help when that stupid cunt dunkenfield ordered his coppers to form a line across the pitch when things went bad because he thought it was going to be a pitch invasion. Jesus fucking wept, talk about sheer incompetence.

Yes, some of their fans helped carry people on advertising boards but I dont recollect their fans coming to the rescue in hordes. To the vast majority of them, it's just payback for the 'scab' chants.

• Upvote 1

On 29/07/2021 at 17:06, TheRedMachine said:

Ive got hold of an old mate. He confirmed Andrew was his mate, I wasn't sure if it was Andrew he spoke of with such affection but I guessed it was.. I was a kid living with my auntie in Aigburth at the time and my mate used to come up and see me aa he was from S Wales. Him and Andrew "Divvy" were both students at Manchester Uni;  ( not Sheffield as I thought)  they knocked about together, going fishing, going partying, going to football. 

I remember seeing my mate after he'd been to see Andrew in the hospital you speak off in Sheffield, my mate came back looking numb, like a ghost, we all just left him alone; what can you say? 

My mates a Cardiff City supporter, followed them thick and thin from year dot, mad as a hatter. God bless you mate.

He's put his own little tribute on their own forum,; 

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php?449515-Rest-In-Peace-Divvy-Andrew-Devine-Hillsborough

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Ive got hold of an old mate. He confirmed Andrew was his mate, I wasn't sure if it was Andrew he spoke of with such affection but I guessed it was.. I was a kid living with my auntie in Aigburth at the time and my mate used to come up and see me aa he was from S Wales. Him and Andrew "Divvy" were both students at Manchester Uni;  ( not Sheffield as I thought)  they knocked about together, going fishing, going partying, going to football. 

I remember seeing my mate after he'd been to see Andrew in the hospital you speak off in Sheffield, my mate came back looking numb, like a ghost, we all just left him alone; what can you say? 

My mates a Cardiff City supporter, followed them thick and thin from year dot, mad as a hatter. God bless you mate.

He's put his own little tribute on their own forum,; 

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php?449515-Rest-In-Peace-Divvy-Andrew-Devine-Hillsborough

The difference in the comments on that Cardiff City site as opposed to the likes of Chelsea, Everton etc. People from 200 odd miles away can show proper sympathy and understanding whereas our neighbours make 'face against stadium bars' gestures. As a wise man said, the more I see of man the more I love my dog.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

The difference in the comments on that Cardiff City site as opposed to the likes of Chelsea, Everton etc. People from 200 odd miles away can show proper sympathy and understanding whereas our neighbours make 'face against stadium bars' gestures. As a wise man said, the more I see of man the more I love my dog.

I think every football club has their morons and I know from experience they are no exception although I wonder if the certain similarities between Aberfan and Hillsborough is a possible reason for more understanding.. I don't personally know anyone directly affected by Hillsborough and I don't know anyone directly affected by Aberfan, I've never actually been to Aberfan but although over thirty years apart the response from the authorities to both tragedies is shockingly similar. As I've got older I tend to ignore idiotic slurs you mention but I'm not living around people who've lost loved ones so that's easy for me to say. 

On 01/08/2021 at 10:29, dockers_strike said:

Good that the threat title has been updated to reflect the 97. I wonder if the club has any plans to do the same on the shirts?

It might be too late for this season, but I think instead of saying '97' on the back in future, it might be an idea to put '1989' or 15/4/1989' between the flames. The tragedy has claimed the lives of more than the 97 as so many others had their lives ruined by it. Commemoration of the date would make it inclusive of them too. As I say, just an idea.

• Upvote 11

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

It might be too late for this season, but I think instead of saying '97' on the back in future, it might be an idea to put '1989' or 15/4/1989' between the flames. The tragedy has claimed the lives of more than the 97 as so many others had their lives ruined by it. Commemoration of the date would make it inclusive of them too. As I say, just an idea.

I like it. A lot.

I like the idea and how it recognises the wider impact of that day but I think there's something poignant about it being the number. It humanises it, it makes it clear it's not in memory of a "few" but of 97 fans. Either way, I hope we recognise Andrew in this way, I've no doubt we will.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

I like the idea and how it recognises the wider impact of that day but I think there's something poignant about it being the number. It humanises it, it makes it clear it's not in memory of a "few" but of 97 fans. Either way, I hope we recognise Andrew in this way, I've no doubt we will.

Yeah. That’s a great point too. 

For those that matter they’ll never be forgotten though. 

As the Devine family adjusted to their new life, where everything was centred around caring for Andrew, Bettison’s trajectory soared. He became chief constable of Merseyside Police in 1998, was made an honorary fellow of Liverpool John Moores University six years later

How the fuck was that allowed to happen?