You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 97

Anubis

• 1 month later...

A mounted officer and a police worker who claimed Liverpool fans burned a horse with cigarettes during the Hillsborough disaster will not face criminal charges.

The former South Yorkshire Police officer and the civilian farrier were accused of making up the story.

Both men were referred to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) by the police watchdog.

The CPS said the families of the 96 Hillsborough victims had been informed.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) had submitted files on the two men following allegations about falsified evidence.

Prosecutors said the mounted officer had been seen on camera before the FA Cup semi-final lashing out towards fans, whom he later claimed were burning his horse with cigarettes.

The farrier, who was a friend of the officer, also described the injuries sustained by the horse.

It was alleged that the accounts were false and given to protect the officer from disciplinary action.

'Serious allegations'

The CPS said the evidential threshold for a charge of perverting the course of justice had been met in relation to the farrier, but it was concluded that it was not in the public interest to charge him.

It said the evidential threshold had not been met in relation to the officer.

IPCC deputy chairwoman Rachel Cerfontyne said: "It was vitally important that allegations of such a serious nature were investigated robustly."

Six men, including match commander David Duckenfield, are already facing prosecution for alleged offences related to the disaster on 15 April 1989 and its aftermath.

Once all criminal proceedings have concluded, the IPCC will consider whether any former officers would have had cases to answer for misconduct.

Evidence supporting these findings will be set out in a final investigation report.

A total of 96 Liverpool fans were fatally crushed during the stadium disaster on 15 April as their FA Cup semi-final began against Nottingham Forest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-42365516

• 2 months later...

No charges to be brought against any West Midlands police officers. The CPS say the evidence threshold has not been met.

So coercing witnesses to change statements and changing statements sees you walk away scott free.

The relatives are very upset about it. Understandably.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/14/hillsborough-relatives-disgusted-by-cps-decision-over-west-midlands-police?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

No charges to be brought against any West Midlands police officers. The CPS say the evidence threshold has not been met.

So coercing witnesses to change statements and changing statements sees you walk away scott free.

The relatives are very upset about it. Understandably.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/14/hillsborough-relatives-disgusted-by-cps-decision-over-west-midlands-police?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

As someone who was interviewed by the west midlands police, as I'm sure there are many on who have also been - this shower of shite are just as culpable of the cover up, if not more, than the twats from south yorkshire.

Strange how you can be interviewed about the worst sporting disaster this country has ever seen and all you get asked about; was had you been drinking, did you see others drinking, who was drunk, who was fighting, was I fighting, did I have a ticket, did those around me and who went with me, have tickets. Me brother told the pair of them to fuck off out our house.

These cunts were the doers and facilitators of the cover up, they should all be lined up and stoned. Fucking lying, conniving, wankers the lot of them.   

• Upvote 7

hmm, nothing to see here for me.

They were hardly going to use the number 69 are they. Id imagine whoever designed this is completely oblivious to Hillsborough.

I dont want to sound a cunt as i remember how horrible it was growing up, however, to most 96 is just another number. The world doesnt walk round constantly aware of it.

They're getting a fair bit of response on this and Topman have apparently been approached for comment. Will be interesting to see how they respond to it. Hopefully they will do the right thing, even if it's a coincidence as it's clearly causing offence and is likely selling well for that reason alone. It should be removed from sale and orders made will hopefully likely be refunded and cancelled.

I imagine its the style. Its not uncommon for large numbers on the back of tops, particularly sports one (which i appreciate this isn't).

I don't really buy the coincidence to be honest. Bright red, large number on the back. I'm not convinced there is malice in the wording of Karma etc but it would be interesting to know what location most of the orders are coming from. Like I say, hopefully this gets removed and it doesn't get out as it could cause a lot of problems even for the person wearing it and nobody realistically wants that.

All sizes that appear to be available get a "sorry this item is no longer available" message when you click to add to basket.

Looks like it might've been pulled.

Good, it’s definitely in a football shirt design

As someone who was interviewed by the west midlands police, as I'm sure there are many on who have also been - this shower of shite are just as culpable of the cover up, if not more, than the twats from south yorkshire.

Strange how you can be interviewed about the worst sporting disaster this country has ever seen and all you get asked about; was had you been drinking, did you see others drinking, who was drunk, who was fighting, was I fighting, did I have a ticket, did those around me and who went with me, have tickets. Me brother told the pair of them to fuck off out our house.

These cunts were the doers and facilitators of the cover up, they should all be lined up and stoned. Fucking lying, conniving, wankers the lot of them.

Mate, what a great post. I you was interviewed by those cunts and I maintain they were the strongest part of the cover up. When I got interview on the latest round a couple of years back, when I told the girl who interviewed me what had happened, she just had a sadness and said I know, I've heard this story time and time again. Sadly she was wrong when she told me "don't you worry they can't get away with it". Even their own could see it, yet after all these years the cover up continues.
  • Upvote 2