You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 97

Anubis

I just watched that bbc documentary all the way through for the first time. Jesus. I've not seen that before. Kids. Bodies piled up at the front of the terrace. Fucking horrific. God only knows how people have coped who lived through that? I remember being at the 86 cup final and me Ma was in tears due to crushing at the turnstiles thinking we were gonna die. You treat people like cattle these things happen. Typical of the way footy fans were treated in the 80s

I just watched that bbc documentary all the way through for the first time. Jesus. I've not seen that before. Kids. Bodies piled up at the front of the terrace. Fucking horrific. God only knows how people have coped who lived through that? I remember being at the 86 cup final and me Ma was in tears due to crushing at the turnstiles thinking we were gonna die. You treat people like cattle these things happen. Typical of the way footy fans were treated in the 80s

Old man Dangerously was there and the things he saw messed him up for years.  He still doesn't talk about it or the fight for justice at all.  Clams up and frankly, I don't blame him. 

re knighthoods hope i'm not offending anyone in any way but the King should tell the establishment to shove all that rubbish up their arse if offered.

subjectively, none of all that sits right for me

Couldn't agree more, and I think Kenny is of the same mind.

• 4 weeks later...
Fkin unbelievable.  Cunts. 

Greater Manchester Police today apologised for using a photo of Liverpool fans being crushed at Hillsborough on a poster that asked: “Can you pick out a face in a crowd of people?”

The harrowing image that showed supporters dying in the Leppings Lane stand was emailed to police employees on Wednesday.

One of them informed the ECHO after being left ashamed of the force’s actions.

They said: “I was incredibly shocked that a police force would choose to use such an image to send to their staff.

“A lot of staff come from Liverpool or follow the team and this is a highly emotive subject.”

Assistant Chief Constable Robert Potts said he was “deeply sorry” for the force’s “completely inappropriate” use of the image.

The poster was advertising a new initiative at Greater Manchester Police called ‘Super Recognisers’.

The aim was to find officers who have a particular skill for recognising faces that can help identify unknown criminals on CCTV.

Mr Potts said: “It was brought to the attention of senior officers that a poster had been circulated around the force advertising for ‘Super Recognisers’.

“This is an initiative to identify members of staff who have a high ability to recognise individuals that they have previously seen, often years later."

“This poster contained an image of the Hillsborough disaster in progress, a distressing image which was completely inappropriate for such use.

“The poster, which was only ever circulated internally within the force, was immediately recalled and the offending image was removed within 90 minutes of its initial circulation.”

Mr Potts continued: “The use of this image was not intended to offend but to demonstrate how ‘Super Recognisers’ can greatly assist ongoing investigations.

“The ‘Super Recognisers’ technique has been successfully used in a number of complex national investigations to identify potential witnesses as well as suspects."

“We acted swiftly to remove the offending image and limit the distress caused, however, I recognise that the use of this image was obviously inappropriate and I am deeply sorry for the upset and offence that this has caused.”

Greater Manchester police and crime commissioner Tony Lloyd added: “The use of this image was wholly inappropriate and should never have happened.

“Senior GMP officers have rightly acted quickly to remove this poster from circulation and have apologised.

“I have also asked GMP to make contact with the families of the Hillsborough victims to apologise to them directly for any further distress this has caused them.

“Hillsborough families have fought long and hard for justice, they don’t need this as a reminder.”

• Upvote 1

It will probably have been some mid level management cunt who will have thought it would make a good jest with the rank and file, not realising that nothing stays secret these days.

However, it's difficult to argue with the response of the top brass in recalling it, nor the P&CC's response in making them contact the families and apologise.

Dear Supporter,

We are Chair and Secretary of the Hillsborough Families Support Group and we have worked closely with Hacked Off to hold politicians to the promises they made to have more effective press regulation and to end the terrible injustices that some newspapers perpetrate.  

We are writing to ask for your help.

The longest inquests in English legal history recently told the world what we and other Hillsborough families already knew: our loved ones were killed unlawfully and - just as importantly – that it was in no way their fault. Finally, after 27 years of lies and betrayal the public were told the truth, but after all these years of torment, we still haven’t got to the bottom of the cover–up. 

We always understood from what we were told by the Prime Minister and other politicians that - after the prosecutions of journalists for hacking and for paying police and prison officers could no longer be ‘prejudiced' - the Leveson Inquiry would then turn to these important questions….. Questions of how the phone hacking scandal and the Hillsborough tragedy’s causes had been covered up for so long by the police and the press, and how we can make sure that this can never happen again. This is called Leveson Part 2 and was planned 5 years ago.

But now the Prime Minister and his media Minister Mr Whittingdale have told us that they may not conduct this inquiry at all. I hope you agree that this is not acceptable.

Andy Burnham MP has, with support from across the political parties, tabled an amendment to a bill on policing and crime, currently going through Parliament which would require an inquiry such as Leveson Part 2 into police and press corruption to take place. Can you please support me and the other Hillsborough families by writing to your MP today and asking them to support it? 

There are still so many questions left unanswered. Did the police investigate complaints about police and press corruption thoroughly? Did police officers receive illegal payments to suppress these complaints or investigations? How do we know that the same thing couldn’t happen again today? I’m disgusted that after everything we’ve been through, we are still fighting to get the whole truth.

This is our best shot yet so please support us. Please click here to email your MP today

(the amendment is being debated on Monday) and help us root out this corruption for good. 

Best wishes,

Margaret Aspinall, Chair, Hillsborough Families Support Group
Sue Roberts, Secretary, Hillsborough Families Support Group

PS We had a really tough battle with South Yorkshire police and the justice system. But we were also fighting the media establishment. The hurt caused by what the papers said – and one newspaper in particular – can not be undone. But, with your help, we can change the culture and the rules so this can never happen to anyone else again

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I'm surprised not to see this thread bumped today.

I was watching look north at tea time (BBC local news in Yorkshire) and they ran ten seconds about this story.

Fucking scumbag.

Hoping it would help with the narrative, indeed.

Looking to fucking profit from misery, suffering, lies and death of innocent men, women and kids.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-37728501

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...