You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 97

Anubis

The victims of this tragic disaster are often just listed as names. 

But, the link below hammers home how many lives were devastatingly changed by what happened. They weren’t just 97 people. They were other people’s brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, partners, spouses, friends, colleagues or the lad who’d carry the local old lady’s shopping home for her. 

And, it was 97 lost opportunities. 97 people who all had hopes, dreams, desires, ambitions and aspirations. The link hammers that home too. Particularly with the younger victims. They were just starting out on the journey of life - starting apprenticeships, college courses or going to university. 

They all seemed like decent, honest, hardworking, educated and ambitious people. Good eggs. Which make the calculated efforts to smear them as violent, drunken hooligans all the more galling and anger inducing. Something which sadly persists in the here and now. 

All victims of one of the biggest miscarriages of justice that that this country has ever seen. May they all never be forgotten and may they all rest in peace. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2024/apr/15/hillsborough-disaster-the-97-people-whose-lives-were-cut-short

• Upvote 2

The thing that is always the hardest for me is just reading the list of names and ages. We lost a mate there, I was 19, he was 20, I was just luckier than him, getting there 10 mins or so earlier - another mate who I was with on the same day has also passed away since, he was never the same again and lost his life to drink. I look through the list and see how many people who died who were around our age. We hadn't started our lives, they never got to have them. This wasn't a few unfortunate old people caught up in something a bit out of hand, these were people in the peak of life, destroyed for nothing more than football fans being thought of as a sub-human. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7