You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 97

Anubis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Last one tonight. All the usual twats on social media still believing that people turning up late killed everyone. Told a few of them to prove it last night on Facebook and they had no comeback. Absolute vermin. 

It is utterly pointless trying to re-educate these cretins. Despite the facts being out there, they refuse point blank to acknowledge them. I stopped getting into debates with them about it a long time ago for that exact reason.

I saw some Chelsea fan tweet about "Anne" and saying that anyone chanting "murderers" at the game at the weekend really should be ashamed of themselves. Of course one Evertonian jumped in with the crass and inaccurate "Tell that to 39 Italians" within a few replies, and then loads of Chelsea fans attempt to justify it by stating that it was about Heysel. Like, that's OK then...

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

It is utterly pointless trying to re-educate these cretins. Despite the facts being out there, they refuse point blank to acknowledge them. I stopped getting into debates with them about it a long time ago for that exact reason.

I saw some Chelsea fan tweet about "Anne" and saying that anyone chanting "murderers" at the game at the weekend really should be ashamed of themselves. Of course one Evertonian jumped in with the crass and inaccurate "Tell that to 39 Italians" within a few replies, and then loads of Chelsea fans attempt to justify it by stating that it was about Heysel. Like, that's OK then...

"What about Justice for Heysel?"

"The police chief, Belgian authorities were prosecuted and a load of Liverpool fans were either arrested in Belgium or extradited there to be charged with Manslaughter. No one tried to cover anything up"

"Not really justice is it?"

The one I had a go at was some tit from Shrewsbury who said that Liverpool fans have blood on their hands for turning up late without tickets. I sent him the statistics of the pens and the findings of the latest inquiry but he never came back with anything.

Also seems to be a lot of Nottingham Forest fans who pipe up every now and again saying they know "what really happened" yet never have the balls to say what they mean. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I will watch this, but not sure when. 

I really want to watch it but I also really don't want to watch it. 

I was quite agnostic about Hillsborough for a long time. Then I read Phil Scraton's book. I cried. I'm certain

I'd cry if I watched this.

• Upvote 1

I've just finished watching Anne. Very powerful and very hard to watch.

I'm not really sure quite how I feel after seeing it. Angry, sad, empty, yet incredibly proud and in awe of a woman who fought for justice for her son to the very end.

They say a mother's love knows no bounds, well she was a perfect example of that. 

Rest in peace Anne Williams, and rest in peace the 97. x.

• Upvote 5

I've not seen the programme but Anne Williams was a real hero, not like some millionaire kicking a ball about hero but a the sort of person we should all aspire to, someone who took no shit and fought like a bastard right 'til the end against the biggest shower of cunts going.

• Upvote 4

I've seen a few people on Twitter saying they were interviewed by West Midlands police. 

Quite a few said that they were under 18 when interviewed but were told no parent or guardian could be present. A few said the police officers interviewing them stunk of ale then had the cheek to ask them how much they had to drink. 

Virtually all of them had their statements completely altered when they saw the final versions. Also the referee had his statement altered to say the fans were "pissed". He only saw the typed document recently and said he never said that. 

Watched all 4 episodes.....thought it was really nicely done - Maxine Peak played Anne Williams with fantastic beauty, dignity and grace.

She and the series did a fantastic job of telling the stories and did so in a touching, believable manner that did such a subject absolute justice.

Kevin Sampson's script was engrossing, well paced and again did the subject matter justice.

A brilliant but heart wrenching watch.

JFT 97.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I've just finished watching Anne. Very powerful and very hard to watch.

I'm not really sure quite how I feel after seeing it. Angry, sad, empty, yet incredibly proud and in awe of a woman who fought for justice for her son to the very end.

They say a mother's love knows no bounds, well she was a perfect example of that. 

Rest in peace Anne Williams, and rest in peace the 97. x.

I need to add that Maxine Peake's portrayal of Anne Williams deserves our respect.

A remarkable performance which I think told Anne's story with dignity and reverence and she should be commended for it. 

Edit,  an tha beat me to it.

• Upvote 2

I have just binge watched it. You sometimes forget how many occasions they fucked us over. 

To paraphrase the judge who reopened the inquests

You can't help but admire the determination of the families and people involved in campaigns over all those years, but at the same you must condemn that fact it has taken those years 

10 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

I've seen a few people on Twitter saying they were interviewed by West Midlands police. 

Quite a few said that they were under 18 when interviewed but were told no parent or guardian could be present. A few said the police officers interviewing them stunk of ale then had the cheek to ask them how much they had to drink. 

Virtually all of them had their statements completely altered when they saw the final versions. Also the referee had his statement altered to say the fans were "pissed". He only saw the typed document recently and said he never said that. 

The West Midlands police were a fucking disgrace. They had no interest in anything but pinning the whole things on the fans over drink. My interview I ended up rowing with them about the content of my statement. When I got reinterviewed on the back of the HIP report and the opening of the inquiry etc, the police who interviewed me gave it all the stuff you expected "oh that is shocking. It's not the 1st time I've heard that. Don't you worry they won't get away with it again.". Yet they did. It brings shame on this country and literally nobody outside our fanbase and the odd other person gives a shit. 

• Upvote 9

One thing I heard which I did not know, the Tele was on in the background and basically the police we explaining why they lied about the gate being forced by fans.

Basically if we had told the truth we were worried for the safety of our officers. 

So we had to lie and paint them as scum because they are scum was their justification/defence.

Cunts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

One thing I heard which I did not know, the Tele was on in the background and basically the police we explaining why they lied about the gate being forced by fans.

Basically if we had told the truth we were worried for the safety of our officers. 

So we had to lie and paint them as scum because they are scum was their justification/defence.

Cunts.

the thing i hate about it is anyone who went to football supporting any club back then, knows what the police were like. they were utter cunts. to be fair to them, football was fucking wild back then and if you were an away fan anywhere, you were sure to run into or see trouble that had absolutely nothing to do with the police. The 80s was a violent time and we pretty much had a kind of military police. Thatcher allowed the cunts to do whatever they wanted without consequence, no matter the setting and it wasn't just football, it was daily life. It's funny, I sometimes stick on that "80s Liverpool" radio station on in the car and they always have this sound bite "from the decade of decadence". To me that is such a South East Tory point of view of that time. The rest of us were effectively living under the breadline within a violent police state. And they wondered why we were a handful. 

• Upvote 3

On 05/01/2022 at 10:49, Grinch said:

The new ITV drama is a very tough watch.  First episode had me in bits.

20 minutes in.

It was as hard a watch as I imagined it to be.

In some ways, worse.

The prodcution right until Anne discovered Kevin had died was stomach-churningly emotional and brought up all the injustice all over again.

I can't imagine how I'm going to feel watching the rest of it.

I've recorded this and watched each episode the next night and then watched 'Four Lives' on the BBC. Really gruelling to watch and I've not had much sleep this week as my head has been buzzing when I went to bed. The ineptitude and incompetence of the police is astonishing. Well, actually it's not because it's been happening time and time again since Hillsborough, through Stephen Lawrence, Jean Charles de Menezes through to recent events. If you give any state institution the impression they can get away with stuff, they will do it time and again.

• Upvote 7