You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 97

Anubis

A bit of a sickener, that. 

Although it was always a high bar to clear, to prove the charges beyond all reasonable doubt. Especially when the work of a certain newspaper still influences the opinions of many around the disaster, even after the HIP report debunked many of the slurs. 

The arl fucker is not long for this world anyway. I hope the remaining days he has left are always followed by a sleepless night, brought about by recognising the horiffic consequences of his actions and omissions. 

That'll be one shred of justice. Albeit insufficient for the devastation he caused. 

Absolutely disgusting.  I know it shouldn't but it still bothers me how the rats stick together.  The judge doing his very best:

Duckenfield did not give evidence in the trial as the court heard he was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.  Judge Sir Peter Openshaw also told jurors the condition could explain Duckenfield's lack of reaction as he sat in the well of the court throughout the trial.

He said: "He has a resilient, passive and expressionless external presentation which gives no indication of his state of mind so don't draw an adverse inference against him."

As for the totally oblivious remarks from his defence lawyer (don't expect anything less) it all just adds up to a horrible day. A target of blame? I'd love to know what he thinks this city and our supporters have been for the last 30 years.

Benjamin Myers QC, defending Duckenfield, told the jury he had been a "target of blame" for the disaster.

He told the court: "We say David Duckenfield did do what he was expected to do as match commander. He didn't breach his duty, he did what he was expected to do in difficult circumstances."

Summing up the case, the judge said: "The deaths of 96 spectators, many of whom were very young, is, of course, a profound human tragedy attended by much anguish and anger which for many has not passed with time."

13 minutes ago, an tha said:

Fucking hell.  Didn't know it was the same judge at the second trial.  No fucking wonder he has got off with this.

29 minutes ago, an tha said:

Another great piece by Conn. 

The conduct of the judge, the defence and the CPS appears to be a mixture of incompetence and underhandedness. In both trials. 

I hope that the families move on now though. I can't begin to think how they feel. But, I mean move on not in the sense of a harsh "get over it" message but rather that it's time for them to live their lives now. They've got to a stage now where they've done absolutely everything they can to try and get justice for their loved ones. They've shown amazing fight and spirit to get to where they are now - getting the HIP inquiry, getting the original coroner's verdicts overturned and getting people on court to face criminal charges. They've fought the establishment and gave them one hell of a fight. But, they won't be the first and won't be the last of the "little people" told to know their place and eat whatever flavour of shit is fed down to them. This seems like an end of the road moment and, sadly, if it was me, I think today's decision would suck that last bit of fight out of me. There's nothing wrong in admitting defeat when the game appears to be rigged. 

I'm proud of every one of them though. And those that they've lost will be proud of them too. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, moof said:

Really knocked me for six, this. Heart goes out to the families and the general community. Fuck the establishment cunts. We’re not English, we are Scouse

We were never going to get justice. Middle England views us an outpost immigrant city cut adrift from the rest of the country full of feral thieves, drug dealers and Communists and that view is held by a lot of working class ordinary people - check out the likes of Bluemoon for it in action. The irony is that we have a community spirit in this city that very few places have. 

This decision and the jealousy towards our great team just introduces the same issues to new generations of fans.

• Upvote 1