You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 97

Anubis

Remember West Midlands police actions in the arrest and conviction of the Birmingham 6. The families of the pub bombings victims are still waiting for justice now, and 6 men rotted in jail for over a decade for something they didn't do.

That they were brought in to investigate Hillsborough was an absolute pisstake!

Even if it genuinely has nothing to do with Hillsborough, what made the people at the company think an obscure record from the mid-90s featuring Bob Marley was something enough people would know enough about to want to get a t-shirt depicting it? It is such an out-there idea that it is scarcely believable that it was something done in good faith. It really does look as though the people who signed off the idea were told a bullshit story by a complete cunt of a designer. The graphic even includes what appears to be a white rose, which is one of the symbols of Yorkshire.

• Upvote 2

Guest Alex_K

Of course its to do with Hillsborough. Does whoever made it think the world are mugs? Red shirt, big 96, karma ("its never your fault" / "justice for the 39" etc). Some smug dickhead was, I assume, extremely proud at discovering that tenuous link to legitimise the product ..

hmm, nothing to see here for me.

They were hardly going to use the number 69 are they. Id imagine whoever designed this is completely oblivious to Hillsborough.

I dont want to sound a cunt as i remember how horrible it was growing up, however, to most 96 is just another number. The world doesnt walk round constantly aware of it.

And the white rose of Yorkshire...?

Bob Marley is not from Rotherham.  

Topman is not to blame.  The designer is.  We've seen designs get through Everton FC's quality control (the Kop image etc).  Everton aren't to blame.

I'd like the person responsible to be held accountable.  This is so disgusting it will be buried.

• Upvote 2

OK so is it a co incidence the s*n are apparently running a story by Vince Hilaire about racial abuse he got at Anfield. Yeah I know we play Palce after the international break but the timing hot on the heels of that shirt just seems to be too much of a co incidence to me. Have not seen the story but it came up on a football news ticker.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so is it a co incidence the s*n are apparently running a story by Vince Hilaire about racial abuse he got at Anfield. Yeah I know we play Palce after the international break but the timing hot on the heels of that shirt just seems to be too much of a co incidence to me. Have not seen the story but it came up on a football news ticker.

Fuck the rag. But for once the story is probably true, I don't think there was a 1st division ground back then that wasn't racist.

Mad isn't it? To think how recent that is as well. Shameful.

It is. What I used to find madder was these clubs that had black players and would abuse opposition black players. I thought at Anfield the tipping point was Barnes arriving. He turned up, racism in the main disappeared. I don't know what the trigger was elsewhere. Anyway, that's all a but off topic I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to both the semis in 88 and 89. Still cannot believe what I experienced in the ground that day. So long ago yet feels like it was yesterday. Will never forget the sight of that copper running onto the pitch to stop the game. Still brings tears to the eye of this old get. Hopefully we can bring number 6 home for the fans. YNWA wherever you are.