You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World Snooker Championship 2016

The Golden Eel

Starts Saturday.

Here's the draw:

Stuart Bingham (1) v Ali Carter
Stephen Maguire (16) v Alan McManus
Ricky Walden (9) v Robbie Williams
John Higgins (8) v Ryan Day
Judd Trump (5) v Liang Wenbo
Martin Gould (12) v Ding Junhui
Mark Williams (13) v Graeme Dott
Neil Robertson (4) v Michael Holt
Shaun Murphy (3) v Anthony McGill
Marco Fu (14) v Peter Ebdon
Barry Hawkins (11) v Zhang Anda
Ronnie O'Sullivan (6) v David Gilbert
Mark Allen (7) v Mitchell Mann
Joe Perry (10) v Kyren Wilson
Michael White (15) v Sam Baird
Mark Selby (2) v Robert Milkins 

Ronnie starts on Sunday afternoon.

I've got a few quid on Ronnie at between 4/1 and 5/1

• Upvote 2

Our office is right next to The Crucible and I sit looking out straight at it. There's a good atmosphere in the square if the weather's nice and people are sitting watching the big screens. I don't really care, snooker's boring.

Our office is right next to The Crucible and I sit looking out straight at it. There's a good atmosphere in the square if the weather's nice and people are sitting watching the big screens. I don't really care, snooker's boring.

I used to go to Hallam and our main library (Adsetts Centre) is opposite the Crucible. Never got the chance to get tickets and watch, but did get an autograph off Steve Davis. I think Higgins (the Scottish one) won it that year. Not that you really care of course.

O'Sullivan won 10-7, but seemingly wasn't happy about it (again):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-3545763/Ronnie-O-Sullivan-heard-banging-crashing-swearing-dressing-room.html

Ronnie O'Sullivan storms angrily out of Crucible after first round win in snooker World Championship and is heard 'banging, crashing and swearing' in dressing room

Ronnie O'Sullivan stormed out of the Crucible Theatre after winning his first match at this year's Betfred World Championship on Monday – to land himself in more disciplinary hot water.

The 'Rocket' beat former potato farmer David Gilbert 10-7 at the famous venue in Sheffield to reach the last 16 of the blue-riband tournament that he has won five times.

But afterwards the 40-year-old from Essex rushed angrily out of the arena and past a BBC crew waiting to do a flash TV interview in the corridor before entering his dressing room.

And O'Sullivan now faces a near certain fine from governing body from World Snooker for failing to fulfil media commitments at their biggest event.

One source reported sounds of an angry outburst and 'banging, crashing and swearing' from behind the closed door, as O'Sullivan let rip in front of artist friend Damien Hirst and promoter Jason Francis.

It is understood that Dr Steve Peters, the renowned sports psychiatrist credited with rescuing O'Sullivan's career five years ago and a regular companion at the Crucible, was also at the venue.

O'Sullivan arrived in Sheffield as the red-hot favourite to lift the title for a sixth time, a tally that would match the total of boyhood hero Steve Davis who retired on Sunday.

The world No6 appeared distracted and frustrated right from the start of Sunday's first session of the contest against world No22 Gilbert from Tamworth.

And with those in the arena suspecting all was not well with the sport's biggest box-office draw, Gilbert began to take confidence and put in a strong display.

In this morning's session misses were clearly irking O'Sullivan as he attempted to wrap up the match with a minimum of fuss from 8-4 ahead.

World Snooker issued a statement saying: 'All players have a responsibility to the sport, and in particular to their fans, this includes fulfilling media obligations at events. Any players found to be in breach of these rules will be referred to the disciplinary process.'

It is possible though that for a first offence O'Sullivan, despite the stage and profile of the tournament, could be fined as little as £250 for a season's first offence. The first prize at the Crucible this year is £330,000.

O'Sullivan has very rarely refused to attend press conferences in recent years, and has seemingly coped well with the attention that no other player as to endure.

Ronnie or Trump for me. Past them, not that many of the top are actually playing that well, compared to previous years. Possibly Robertson (who you can never discount) or maybe Higgins, who's had a really good season.

Would like to see Trump get the World's though. Or would be happy to see Ronnie get his 6th title.

Holt has been on form, could be an outside bet although his odds will have dropped dramatically. 

Higgins looked very good but he often does then comes up against someone like Ding and gets bummed. Hopefully he can keep playing well. Might be his last real chance of the big one. 

The snooker is boss and if you don't like it then you can fuck off. 

• Upvote 2

First round banana skin. Robertson rallied at the end but the lead was too big. I'm not too bothered, he comes across as a bit of a dick sometimes. And he's a Chelsea fan.

Higgins is playing well but I'm not sure he's fit enough for the longer games and a 17 day tournament. I don't understand why he (and Mark Allen) don't get fit and lose some weight, surely it'd help. They struggle with some of the longer pots if they have to reach across the table.

Trump starts today. Even though he too is a bit of a dick, I like watching him play. Think he won the china open recently? Should be confident. Pretty sure he's ahead of Ronnie on the head to head as well. Nothing to fear.

Trumps shoes are the only thing wrong with him. I watched an interview with him and Ronnie during the german open and he came across as a decent lad living the dream. Can't fault that.

Them shoes though, the fucking cunt. I hope he dies.

Trumps shoes are the only thing wrong with him. I watched an interview with him and Ronnie during the german open and he came across as a decent lad living the dream. Can't fault that.

Them shoes though, the fucking cunt. I hope he dies.

Take a pic of him wearing them and send it to your insurance, they will pay out for a new pair then.

First round banana skin. Robertson rallied at the end but the lead was too big. I'm not too bothered, he comes across as a bit of a dick sometimes. And he's a Chelsea fan.

Higgins is playing well but I'm not sure he's fit enough for the longer games and a 17 day tournament. I don't understand why he (and Mark Allen) don't get fit and lose some weight, surely it'd help. They struggle with some of the longer pots if they have to reach across the table.

Trump starts today. Even though he too is a bit of a dick, I like watching him play. Think he won the china open recently? Should be confident. Pretty sure he's ahead of Ronnie on the head to head as well. Nothing to fear.

9-8 to Ronnie it is