You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying a house

Lucky Pierre

2 hours ago, neko said:

Congrats.

Sell it privately now, and you don't have any agent fees.

We just sold a rental property of ours to the tenants. Nice family, really love the house. Just seemed the right thing to do.

I wish mate. 

Need to pay the ex about £30k from the sell of the flat. 

It’ll be the best £30k I’ve spunked up the wall in my life. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Leasehold companies are fucking cunts. 

You want an information pack for your buyers solicitors? £100 please. 

You want a final bill for what you owe us? £100

please. 

You want a fucking £100 for the privilege of telling me how much money you want from me???

The solicitor was a bit taken aback when I said to tell the cunts to fuck off and we’d call it quits. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Leasehold companies are fucking cunts. 

You want an information pack for your buyers solicitors? £100 please. 

You want a final bill for what you owe us? £100

please. 

You want a fucking £100 for the privilege of telling me how much money you want from me???

The solicitor was a bit taken aback when I said to tell the cunts to fuck off and we’d call it quits. 

I have had a couple of leasehold properties over the years and wouldn't go near another one. The management companies are absolute cunts and absolutely rinse you when you come to sell after years of ripping you off for services charges and ground rent for years. 

1 minute ago, magicrat said:

I have had a couple of leasehold properties over the years and wouldn't go near another one. The management companies are absolute cunts and absolutely rinse you when you come to sell after years of ripping you off for services charges and ground rent for years. 

Mine is through the council, I’d hate to think what it’s like going through a private company. 

The missus already owns her place outright, she keeps dropping hints at buying a bigger place with a nicer garden. 

Is love a bigger, better garden and to then get a dog. And then I think of having to deal with corrupt estate agent’s and cunt solicitors again and I think fuck that! 

4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Mine is through the council, I’d hate to think what it’s like going through a private company. 

The missus already owns her place outright, she keeps dropping hints at buying a bigger place with a nicer garden. 

Is love a bigger, better garden and to then get a dog. And then I think of having to deal with corrupt estate agent’s and cunt solicitors again and I think fuck that! 

I get the Missus to deal with agents. She is much calmer and persuasive than me over the phone.

I tend lose my rag 

2 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I get the Missus to deal with agents. She is much calmer and persuasive than me over the phone.

I tend lose my rag 

I can’t deal with the fake friendliness. Every other word is mate/pal/my friend/fella. 

Fuck off. Just do what I’m paying you for and stop being a cunt. 

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Bought one last week. Piece of piss.

Good for you.

I'm guessing its in Spain and that they therefore must have a straight forward common sense way of dealing with conveyancing, hopefully you'll be in the house quickly. Here, its a fucking nightmare.

1 hour ago, A Red said:

Good for you.

I'm guessing its in Spain and that they therefore must have a straight forward common sense way of dealing with conveyancing, hopefully you'll be in the house quickly. Here, its a fucking nightmare.

The whole process is probably slightly different. I've never bought a house in the UK, so I wouldn't be able to compare them very well. 

The part with the bank was fairly straightforward. All the best offers for a mortgage were with local (Andalusia wide, rather than national) banks. BBVA and Santander etc were dreadful. Frankly, they don't need people with my relative pittance. But Cajasur were superb. The terms of the mortgage were excellent and it was, and is, really easy to go and speak to the manager if we have any problems/doubts. Helped by knowing him, but choose a more local bank and this is more likely.

A lot of houses are sold privately here avoiding the need to deal with an estate agent. This was a huge positive. We negotiated the price without a middle man. We basically didn't have to deal with anyone who was a complete tit. We saw a few other houses through an estate agent and often I'd say to my missus within a minute of meeting them that I didn't care if the house was perfect I'm not giving this cunt a euro of my money. The absolute worst was a company called "Tecnocasa" which manages to rob both the seller and the buyer. Had a fucking atrocious experience with them which started with us having to wait outside their estate agents as they frantically searched for a worker who knew how to operate a computer (there were about half a dozen "youths" who apparently worked there but seemingly were too thick to actually do anything). We waited outside because of the covid situation, and because there simply wasn't room to socially distance due to the previously mentioned quantity of idiotic teenagers working there. The next part of the ordeal was being shown a flat that frankly I wouldn't have let my dogs stay in overnight. We were, of course, treated to about 45 minutes of flamboyant poetry regarding the sublime beauty of this fucking cave.

So yeah, estate agents are the same here.

The bit that is almost certainly worse here is due to the enormously bloated public sector. Generally, but especially in this field. The funniest experience was with the notaria. We had to wait in what seemed like an enormous dining room. 20 minutes later a man that was barely four foot tall waddled in to the room and sat down like a king on his throne. He prattled on for a good half an hour about stuff the bank had told us the day before. He finally gave the documents the gold seal of approval and fucked off. I'd imagine he's paid at least three or four times the average salary, and does about an hour of work a day which consists of reading some stuff out.

Obviously, I was doing the whole experience in my second language, and there is some fairly obscure technical language that I possibly wouldn't have even understood in English. It's given me a pretty good look at the public sector here, and I've concluded that the private v public balance here is as bad as in the UK, only the complete opposite.

We had to pay a small tax for some work we're doing on the house. Amounted to about 30 euros in the end. Anyway, we spent an entire morning doing a tour of all the various council offices in the town (of which there are considerably more than you'd expect from a town of about 25,000 people). We finally ended up in a room that I'm not convinced anyone had been in for at least a month (more fool us for paying the tax, I guess). The woman there was in charge of this very specific tax and nothing else. There were teams of people milling around doing nothing. All with jobs for life, pensions, zero pressure on them whatsoever. Soul destroyingly dull work, but complete security. 

So, basically it's a bit shit here as well. We got quite lucky that the process didn't take too long. Mainly due to my girlfriend's father knowing the manager of the bank. This stuff helps a lot. We didn't get a more favourable mortgage or anything, just a different attitude from him regarding the work he'd need to do. It removed the "mañana, mañana" attitude. And we bought a house from a private seller. An old couple that left a fucking toothbrush and towel in the house.