You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying a house

Lucky Pierre

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Selling my place at the moment. 

Estate agents are just as big cunts when selling as buying. 

Slippery bastards the lot of them. Tell you to put your house on at a low value and get their mates to buy it and sell it on at a profit or tell you your house is worth more than it is to get your business then badger you to fuck to reduce the price.

Good luck

Just now, A Red said:

Slippery bastards the lot of them. Tell you to put your house on at a low value and get their mates to buy it and sell it on at a profit or tell you your house is worth more than it is to get your business then badger you to fuck to reduce the price.

Good luck

I had both of those scenarios when I was getting valuations. 

The fake chumminess drives me mad. I’m not your mate/pal/friend so fuck off. 

15 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I had both of those scenarios when I was getting valuations. 

The fake chumminess drives me mad. I’m not your mate/pal/friend so fuck off. 

We're going through it at the moment, its always best to remember that whatever they advise is in their best interests not yours.

If you have a house on the market for say, 200k and after a month or so they suggest you drop to 180 in order to sell they are giving up commission, based on 1.5%, of £300 whilst expecting you to give up £19,700. 

To them, 2.7K is more valuable quickly than 3K longer term.

As I say, they act in their own interest and will say anything to try to scare you in to what they want. 

I honestly don't understand what the agents are doing to earn their commission. 

Our agent is a nice person, has driven hundreds of miles around and shown us 25 houses, like I said. But they were all houses we found online ourselves. The only reason he is there is because the selling agent won't give the key to me, as a buyer, without a buying agent present.

So he opens the door and stands there politely while my wife and I tour the home and discuss among ourselves what we think about it. He might offer an opinion now and again, and has actually helped us understand some more about the housing market, but nothing I couldn't have learned from watching some Youtube videos. He also handles all the price negotiations with the seller's agent, which I don't like because I'm not sure what he's saying to them. After all, as others have pointed out, it's in his interest for us to move fast, not necessarily to get the best deal.

The system is designed, it seems, to waste his time, and then he gets paid for being willing to waste it. Maybe a seller's agent makes more sense in helping you come up with a value to ensure you're not being completely ripped off, but in today's world where all the listings are online the buyer's agent seems rather pointless.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you are going to do that you may as well sell it on your own. 

I see an estate agents role as producing a brochure, putting something up in their window and sticking it on rightmove and zoopla where potential buyers will see it and arrange to come view. My role is to sell the fucking thing, I know the area and the property far better than the smiley twerp they send round

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Just south of Tampa, FL.

Amazing weather so far this winter, but it's making me scared about how hot the summer is going to be.

My dad lives in Bradenton

He likes the summer because there's a lot less people around and the thunder storms

He's a bit weird

On 13/02/2020 at 23:26, TheHowieLama said:

Two pertinent questions:

Is there a letter box?

Do you have a dog?

In fairness, it was 100% the EA. 

I made up a fake email and pretended to be another buyer and 'highest' bids didn't match up. 

Max to real account: £187,000 

Max to fake account: £180,000

Shitehouse behaviour from me like, but I knew something wasn't right. Happy we swerved the bullet though as the house we ended up in is twice the size and has room for extending out too. Paid less for it too. 

• 1 month later...

So we're now under contract on our third house, having had both previous experiences fall apart after the home inspection/survey.

But a big part of me is seriously wondering ... is this really the time to be buying a house? We kind of have to, for a host of reasons that I won't go into here, but it feels like absolutely terrible timing.

The buying market is just starting to dry up, so prices are probably at their absolute peak right now. I predict we see houses on the same street as the one we're buying come in at 10% lower prices by the summer. There's going to be a massive correction.

Can't be helped, I suppose. Just our luck that the timing worked out this way. I'm half-tempted to try some really hardlined negotiating, even as a bluff. We're still under the buyers' inspection period so we could walk away without losing anything right now. Very tempted to call them up and say "We're scared of buying right now, but take off $5k and we'll do it. If not, good luck selling it in the middle of a huge economic crisis."

My wife would murder me, though. It's a great house, far better than the other ones we looked at in this price range and area.

Currently renting but it's complicated. 

We have discounted rent at a complex that has some arrangement with my workplace, but only for another few months. After that, we'd have to rent at a much higher rate (even higher than our payments would be on a house). And there are other things involved with moving back to the US that mean we need to buy now while the banks will only be looking at last year's income rather than this year's.

Anyway, we'll survive. Here I am complaining like it's a massive problem that we're about to move into a house that's twice as big as our flat in Siberia was.

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

So we're now under contract on our third house, having had both previous experiences fall apart after the home inspection/survey.

But a big part of me is seriously wondering ... is this really the time to be buying a house? We kind of have to, for a host of reasons that I won't go into here, but it feels like absolutely terrible timing.

The buying market is just starting to dry up, so prices are probably at their absolute peak right now. I predict we see houses on the same street as the one we're buying come in at 10% lower prices by the summer. There's going to be a massive correction.

Can't be helped, I suppose. Just our luck that the timing worked out this way. I'm half-tempted to try some really hardlined negotiating, even as a bluff. We're still under the buyers' inspection period so we could walk away without losing anything right now. Very tempted to call them up and say "We're scared of buying right now, but take off $5k and we'll do it. If not, good luck selling it in the middle of a huge economic crisis."

My wife would murder me, though. It's a great house, far better than the other ones we looked at in this price range and area.

I don't think there's ever a particularly great time to move unless you're a cash cow and rape the markets when house prices stumble a little. We moved in the midst of the Brexit bollocks, probably overpaid (by about £5-10k) but it felt like the right house and it'll be one we'll be in for many-a-year. In 20-30 years time I doubt that difference will have any impact considering we're doing a lot of the heavy DIY ourselves or getting affordable people in to do the work.

If it feels right, follow your heart. Always play hardball though.

11 minutes ago, ``` said:

I don't think there's ever a particularly great time to move unless you're a cash cow and rape the markets when house prices stumble a little. We moved in the midst of the Brexit bollocks, probably overpaid (by about £5-10k) but it felt like the right house and it'll be one we'll be in for many-a-year. In 20-30 years time I doubt that difference will have any impact considering we're doing a lot of the heavy DIY ourselves or getting affordable people in to do the work.

If it feels right, follow your heart. Always play hardball though.

Great username.

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Currently renting but it's complicated. 

We have discounted rent at a complex that has some arrangement with my workplace, but only for another few months. After that, we'd have to rent at a much higher rate (even higher than our payments would be on a house). And there are other things involved with moving back to the US that mean we need to buy now while the banks will only be looking at last year's income rather than this year's.

Anyway, we'll survive. Here I am complaining like it's a massive problem that we're about to move into a house that's twice as big as our flat in Siberia was.

Going to Florida from Siberia is a massive downgrade though eh?  Glad at least you’re getting a bigger house out of it.

9 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

If you’ve already agreed on the price don’t start fucking about over it now. 

Cunts trick that. 

13 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

If you’ve already agreed on the price don’t start fucking about over it now. 

Cunts trick that. 

Oh, I agree. We wouldn't have been doing anything like that. What I was talking about was just binning off the idea of buying a house at all for 6 months, looking at it again in the fall or something. In America when you sign a contract to buy a house you have 10 days to look things over and decide if you want to move forward or not - that's where we are right now. You can't change the price but you can back out if you like.

But it's not really an option. It's more that I was whinging about buying a house right before what is likely to turn out to be a huge downturn.

• 4 months later...

Accepted an offer on my place before this Coronavirus bollocks kicked off from a first time buyer. 

His mortgage company withdraw the guaranteed offer and asked him to up his deposit from 10% to 30% which he had no chance of doing.

He asked me to give him a few months and see if he could sort anything else out, he’d been very fair about the price and he was a nice lad so said yeah. 

He rang back today to say he’d sorted a new mortgage was the flat still for sell. Told him it wasn’t on the market and I’d have given him a call before I put it back on. 

So he’s offered the original asking price again. 

Fucking made up. 

• Upvote 1