You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying a house

Lucky Pierre

1: Get a solicitor for the conveyancing. Preferably a good one. Avoid the cheap online ones - they are just brokers who will find you a local solicitor.

2: Arrange for a survey. Make sure your surveyor is chartered.

3: Make sure your mortgage has been approved in principle if you need one. If you have done that already then let them know you are proceeding with a purchase.

Yes, constantly chase your solicitor.  If they're always on the phone to people like you they'll get the job done much faster.  

Yes, constantly chase your solicitor, because they will never pick up or respond to your calls so you'll have no choice if you want to find out what the fuck is going on...

Think of me as a chef.  You're in a nice restaurant looking forward to a tasty meal.  You wouldn't want to insult the chef, would you?  You'd end up with jizz in your soup.

In this analogy you are already jizzing in the soup.

Someone is stood there asking for you to stop jizzing in their soup and you are telling them to sit down or you will jizz in their soup some more.

• Upvote 1

You say it like that doesn't happen. Clients, who needs 'em?!

Hah. Does it happen as much?  I wouldn't have thought it's as time sensitive but I'm speculating. 

Going back to the soup analogy, I don't even have the ingredients yet and you fuckers are expecting a gastric sensation.  

Survey back. Signs of a slightly shoddy damp course that has left a few gaps and in need of an air brick. No recent leccy certificate. I'll email the estate agent to ask them to look into it but recommended next steps after that? I knew there'd be something to do with damp, it's a 100+ year old house.

Tom, thanks for the offer but already instructed the week before last, sorry. Your mate would probably have had me in the place by now.

Survey back. Signs of a slightly shoddy damp course that has left a few gaps and in need of an air brick. No recent leccy certificate. I'll email the estate agent to ask them to look into it but recommended next steps after that? I knew there'd be something to do with damp, it's a 100+ year old house.

Tom, thanks for the offer but already instructed the week before last, sorry. Your mate would probably have had me in the place by now.

Ask the estate agent what it is EXACTLY that they do. Then grab the lapel of his topman suit and punch him really fucking hard in the face.

• Upvote 1

Ask the estate agent what it is EXACTLY that they do. Then grab the lapel of his topman suit and punch him really fucking hard in the face.

Anything to do with house purchases - estate agents, conveyancing, registry checks etc - could and should be automated and offered through a  £2.99 app.  These witless cunts should be working in Debenhams.  Not that there's anything wrong with working in Debenhams, mind.  

It is the clearest example of money for old rope in this country.  I have no truck with the useless cunts. 

• Upvote 1

Anything to do with house purchases - estate agents, conveyancing, registry checks etc - could and should be automated and offered through a  £2.99 app.  These witless cunts should be working in Debenhams.  Not that there's anything wrong with working in Debenhams, mind.  

It is the clearest example of money for old rope in this country.  I have no truck with the useless cunts. 

Have to deal with them every day at work. Pointless middle men. 

This is probably the most sense I've ever seen on the internet anywhere.

I've bought my house now & I'll be there until I die, fuck pissing money like that away again, bunch of shysters.

• Upvote 1

Anything to do with house purchases - estate agents, conveyancing, registry checks etc - could and should be automated and offered through a £2.99 app. These witless cunts should be working in Debenhams. Not that there's anything wrong with working in Debenhams, mind.

It is the clearest example of money for old rope in this country. I have no truck with the useless cunts.

Fucking failed car salesmen.

Hah. Does it happen as much? I wouldn't have thought it's as time sensitive but I'm speculating.

Going back to the soup analogy, I don't even have the ingredients yet and you fuckers are expecting a gastric sensation.

Probably not quite as bad but it's an industry where timescales can be ridiculous and clients unrealistic.

To the main topic, we're in the process of moving and I can't decided if I'm being an arse or not over the sale of our house. The survey has shown a few superficial things to be fixed and the buyer wants money off the agreed price. The main sticking point is the roof; it's old and had a few repairs but structurally sound and doesn't leak at all. It's reaching the end of it's life and the vendor wants us to take the cost of replacement off the value. I think they're trying it on so I've said no. It's a recommendation not a requirement and the price we listed at reflects that it's an old, imperfect house. They haven't even had a quote for the work, just expect me to knock about £5k off.

Probably not quite as bad but it's an industry where timescales can be ridiculous and clients unrealistic.

To the main topic, we're in the process of moving and I can't decided if I'm being an arse or not over the sale of our house. The survey has shown a few superficial things to be fixed and the buyer wants money off the agreed price. The main sticking point is the roof; it's old and had a few repairs but structurally sound and doesn't leak at all. It's reaching the end of it's life and the vendor wants us to take the cost of replacement off the value. I think they're trying it on so I've said no. It's a recommendation not a requirement and the price we listed at reflects that it's an old, imperfect house. They haven't even had a quote for the work, just expect me to knock about £5k off.

Now I don't think I'm being a knob about mine - I've had some advice from a builder about the damp and they say from what it says in the survey I shouldn't be worried.

However I'm asking them to get the electrics certified and show me proof they've had the boiler looked at under their British Gas cover recently.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...