You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying a house

Lucky Pierre

I've just had an offer accepted on a house. The GF has helped me in many a path through my adulthood, so I welcome any advice that you lot may have between now and inviting Liverpool Lad around for a Peroni.

Offer accepted today so I'll be looking to instruct solicitors etc in the next day or so. I'd like a quick sale if possible. Over to you, GF.

• Upvote 4

I've just had an offer accepted on a house. The GF has helped me in many a path through my adulthood, so I welcome any advice that you lot may have between now and inviting Liverpool Lad around for a Peroni.

Offer accepted today so I'll be looking to instruct solicitors etc in the next day or so. I'd like a quick sale if possible. Over to you, GF.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

Jot down the day of the week the bin men come.

Do research on the local window cleaners, make a list of pro's and cons for each. Is one of them called Ste? That's a pro.

Assert your territory by placing cones or a stepladder in front of the house to ensure everyone knows that's your parking spec. If you haven't got a car even better.

Get one of those stickers for the window that tells salespeople to fuck off.

Nominate a man draw in the kitchen early. Place things like drawing pins, pens, spare scissors, aland keys and sewing kits in there. This will come in good use for any combs you get out of Christmas crackers.

Maybe purchase some incense candles to odourise the house a bit. Or just bake some bread and let the smell emenate by leaving the oven door open afterwards.

Also Trust a trader are pretty good for any odd jobs need doing.

• Upvote 5

If the vendors are looking to buy also they may not have started seriously searching until now (having accepted an offer)

We considered the possibility of moving and have accepted offers on our house on more than one occasion, only to be unable to find anywhere that we wanted to buy.

The biggest issue we came across was the pushy estate agent trying to shoehorn us out the house as we'd accepted an offer, practically demanding we sell up and rent temporarily if need be to secure the sale, so he could pocket his commission.

If you really want the house Id be as patient as you can practically be, if it's starts dragging on for a month or two, request another viewing- the seller will see this as you possibly re-considering and will not want to re-market with an offer on the table.

It's all very much subject to differing circumstances, but it does seem to be a sellers market due to lack of houses on the market

The sellers are going through a divorce - he has left already and she is moving out once sold, no chain.

There seem to be a fair few of the same type of house for sale over here, for a first time buyer there are a range of differing qualities as long as you know you've got a pretty old house in the area.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The sellers are going through a divorce - he has left already and she is moving out once sold, no chain.

There seem to be a fair few of the same type of house for sale over here, for a first time buyer there are a range of differing qualities as long as you know you've got a pretty old house in the area.

The estate agent told you this, right?  In reality he hates her guts and will delay everything by being a twat about signing papers.  In about four weeks no chain will suddenly become she has a purchase which has to complete on the same day.  The seller of that property is also buying a house but the probate hasn't come through yet so that one faces potentially long delays.

Just putting it out there. 

Jot down the day of the week the bin men come.

Do research on the local window cleaners, make a list of pro's and cons for each. Is one of them called Ste? That's a pro.

Assert your territory by placing cones or a stepladder in front of the house to ensure everyone knows that's your parking spec. If you haven't got a car even better.

Get one of those stickers for the window that tells salespeople to fuck off.

Nominate a man draw in the kitchen early. Place things like drawing pins, pens, spare scissors, aland keys and sewing kits in there. This will come in good use for any combs you get out of Christmas crackers.

Maybe purchase some incense candles to odourise the house a bit. Or just bake some bread and let the smell emenate by leaving the oven door open afterwards.

Also Trust a trader are pretty good for any odd jobs need doing.

Each one of your points seems both serious and satirical at the same time.

The sellers are going through a divorce - he has left already and she is moving out once sold, no chain. There seem to be a fair few of the same type of house for sale over here, for a first time buyer there are a range of differing qualities as long as you know you've got a pretty old house in the area. Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sounds like it should be fairly straightforward but as others point out, often estate agent talk doesn't translate fully.

Our situation was crazy- accepted offer on house, 5 year old just accepted into good local school, couldn't find anywhere we liked, buyer then posts hand written letter through door offering a further £5000 in cash to speed things up.

Money wise it made all the sense in the world but we just couldn't find anywhere to buy.

Sounds as though you'll be fine given the circumstances, good luck and make sure they leave the carpets.

And the lightbulbs

Sounds like it should be fairly straightforward but as others point out, often estate agent talk doesn't translate fully.

Our situation was crazy- accepted offer on house, 5 year old just accepted into good local school, couldn't find anywhere we liked, buyer then posts hand written letter through door offering a further £5000 in cash to speed things up.

Money wise it made all the sense in the world but we just couldn't find anywhere to buy.

Sounds as though you'll be fine given the circumstances, good luck and make sure they leave the carpets.

And the lightbulbs

Carpets and wooden floors are stated as being left. Light bulbs are a rarity in Birkenhead anyway so I'm not really missing out if they take them.

Chase your legal people,

Save, save, save... It will cost you more than you think? Every tin costs when buying/moving

Get decent insurance, I'm flooded out at the moment, a decent provider has saved us much trouble and moolah. Accidents happen, even to you, as a building owner cheap insurance will fuck you up

Get your loan to value ratio down if you can, that's where the decent rates are

If you come into cash in the future, consider paying off, 10k might save you 40k over the term, few investment will pay that

Depending on the house, you may want a decent survey. Unlikely you'll need a full survey, but homebuyers might be the thing

Bore people at dinner parties with your equity

Check the sex offenders register, you don't wanna be burned out the first night

Always buy a house with both an upstairs and downstairs karzhi, a fucking godsend and time saver

• 3 weeks later...