You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Tottenham Hotspur 1 (Apr 2 2016)

tlw content

spursreport2.jpg

Whatever lingering hope there may have been of us catching Man City for 4th has now finally gone after we could only draw with Spurs. Not that it’s a bad result, far from it. Spurs are excellent so this was a decent enough point. The damage was done with other pitiful results, not least the one last time out at Southampton. 

This was a good, close game between two sides who play a very similar style going at each other with no quarter asked or given. It would have been nice to win it, but the draw was a fair reflection of an enjoyable game and I’ve got no complaints about the result or performance. 

There was a lot to like about some of our play but we also made a lot of what looked like unnecessary mistakes too. The first half was particularly strange. We did a lot of good things and had Spurs reeling at times, yet we often looked like we were going to shoot ourselves in the foot and do something stupid. Can was doing some dopey things, Sakho was at his erratic worst and there was a bit of uncertainty with Mignolet not coming out for things he should and then coming for things he shouldn’t. Moreno wasn’t filling me with any confidence either, but then he never does.

When we weren’t making daft, needless errors, we looked half decent and it was an entertaining half I thought. We had the better of it in terms of chances and Lloris had to make two great saves to deny Lallana, as well as a fairly routine one to foil Sturridge. That was the best chance of the half and one he normally buries without even thinking. 

Coutinho had played him in with a perfect pass and in that situation Sturridge always side foots the ball wide of the keeper into the corner. He’s scored tons of goals like that but for some reason he went for the Benteke approach of just hit it at the keeper and hope it goes through him. I couldn’t believe he missed that, it was just so un-Sturridge like.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month. 

Agree on Sturridge's slow walk and scowl, which now seems to be his default reaction to being substituted.

It would be equally stupid, but I'd have more respect for a situation where he sprinted off and told Klopp exactly what he thought about his decision when he reached the sideline.

Agree on Sturridge's slow walk and scowl, which now seems to be his default reaction to being substituted.

It would be equally stupid, but I'd have more respect for a situation where he sprinted off and told Klopp exactly what he thought about his decision when he reached the sideline.

he don't sprint

As well as Spurs have played this season, they've got one or two players who are only almost into double figures for goals, with the rest some way back. We've got one player on double figures with another two very close to it. However, Spurs have got a player who has already scored over 20 goals and looks capable of hitting 30.

Having a reliable goalscorer in flying form makes a huge difference in this league. We know that from 2 seasons ago when we had not one but two of them. It's an area that has also served Leicester well this season. Having a consistent and reliable goal threat or two up front plus a solid and consistent back line means you can get away with having a midfield that is more about the functional than the creative.

As well as Spurs have played this season, they've got one or two players who are only almost into double figures for goals, with the rest some way back. We've got one player on double figures with another two very close to it. However, Spurs have got a player who has already scored over 20 goals and looks capable of hitting 30.

Having a reliable goalscorer in flying form makes a huge difference in this league. We know that from 2 seasons ago when we had not one but two of them. It's an area that has also served Leicester well this season. Having a consistent and reliable goal threat or two up front plus a solid and consistent back line means you can get away with having a midfield that is more about the functional than the creative.

I actually had a paragraph in there saying something similar, and making the point that if we can find our own Harry Kane this summer then it could be us in their position next season. It didn't make the final edit though as I felt I was getting a bit off topic and deleted it.

It's true though, the lack of a 25-30 goal a season striker has really hurt us again. With Coutinho and Firmino starting to find the net more regularly (and even Lallana chipping in a few more than he was) we're doing ok in that area, but Sturridge coming back and not being Sturridge any more has been problematic.

Just show them the corner that Heighway delivered and Smith attacked and scored in the '77 European final.Now thats what u call a proper corner

Precision by Heighway and hunger , desire by Smith and the Commentator shouting incredulously "Its Tommy Smith "after the ball nearly broke the net .Happy memories indeed !!!!

• Upvote 1

Just show them the corner that Heighway delivered and Smith attacked and scored in the '77 European final.Now thats what u call a proper corner

Precision by Heighway and hunger , desire by Smith and the Commentator shouting incredulously "Its Tommy Smith "after the ball nearly broke the net .Happy memories indeed !!!!

Why do that when you can faff about with short corners and have Lallana get in the keeper's way for no reason whatsoever?

Spot on that report,really good game of footie that.your right about that Lino,fuckin hell!!!.someone in the pub afterwards said Sturridge had a bit of a shouting match with a fan in the paddock after he got hooked.wouldn't surprise me if kloppo' testing the cunt and every time he sulks kloppo thinks to himself,right you cunt,that's you getting hooked again next game