You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Garth Crooks Wisdom Thread

3 Stacks

• 4 months later...

He may howl at the moon at times , but Garth loves us unconditionally & for that I give him a pass. In great form this week.

Joe Gomez: The tackle by Joe Gomez on Lucas Moura in the second half of Liverpool's win at Tottenham would have stopped a mail train.

I said two weeks ago, after Liverpool's impressive victory at Leicester, that this kid was the best defender I've seen in years. In fact I said something far more profound than that but I'm not going to repeat it for fear of jinxing the lad.

(What I will say is Gomez is a future England captain if ever I saw one. Read more about the relevance of England's fixture against Switzerland in The Crooks of the Matter below.)

Did you know? As well as contributing three tackles and three clearances, no player recovered possession more for Liverpool than Gomez (nine times).

Virgil van Dijk: Harry Kane never had a kick. Virgil van Dijk was too big, too strong and too composed on the ball. In times like these when centre-backs look imperious, strikers have to ruffle feathers and the England captain simply wasn't prepared to have a scrap.

If ever there was a day for Harry and the boys to get among it and stick their heads in the faces of Liverpool's defenders then this was it. Instead, Van Dijk walked on to the pitch looking like a film star and walked off with the Oscar for best leading man.

Did you know? No player at Wembley made more clearances than Van Dijk (five, equal with Tottenham's Toby Alderweireld).

James Milner: He's been playing top-class football since he was 16 years old, so we shouldn't be entirely surprised 16 years later when the player strolls through a game as though he is reading the Sunday Times.

James Milner's understanding of a game of football is second to none and already Milner is looking like my early candidate for Footballer of the Year. I strongly believe that accolade belongs to a member of the team that wins the title. So you can see where I'm going with this folks.

Did you know? James Milner made five tackles in Liverpool's match against Spurs, more than any other player on the field. The Englishman also created the joint highest number of chances for his team-mates (three - equal with Mohamed Salah), as well as attempting more passes in the opposition's half than anyone for either side (32).

Roberto Firmino: At no stage did Tottenham's back four come to terms with Liverpool's front three. Every time Firmino picked up the ball, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah took off like stealth bombers leaving an airbase.

Liverpool look like the team most likely to stop Manchester City from winning the title for a second consecutive season.

However, should anything happen to Liverpool's frontline attack then we may have a different situation entirely.

Did you know? Roberto Firmino has been directly involved in 61 Premier League goals for Liverpool under Jurgen Klopp (38 goals, 23 assists), 16 more than any other player.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

I had the pleasure of being in the company of David Miliband recently, and sadly was forced to spend some of the evening having to talk about Arsenal. He wanted to know about Lucas Torreira. I told the former foreign secretary that Torreira was the difference between Arsenal and Spurs in the recent derby and has the drive and influence of an Emmanuel Petit.

Goalkeeper - Alisson (Liverpool)image.gif

It's not often I struggle to find a goalkeeper who has had an outstanding weekend. Burnley's Joe Hart and Tottenham's Hugo Lloris both kept clean sheets, but their teams are not top of the league. So if I'm looking for some rationale to justify my selection, I'm going for Alisson. It's no coincidence the Reds find themselves top. Jurgen Klopp has invested wisely in one of the best young keepers around, and it has helped them become serious title contenders.

(What does the 'Did you know' for Alisson mean? Does it mean he has played the most games in an unbeaten run for Liverpool?)

Did you know? Alisson has the best unbeaten run from the start of a Premier League career for any Liverpool player (16 games).  

Mohamed Salah: The Egyptian gods are smiling on Mohamed Salah again. The striker went three games without scoring, so he rattled three past Bournemouth in quick succession. He hasn't been in the blistering form he was last season but Liverpool seem a more complete team than they did last season. In the meantime, the Egyptian upper house - the Shura Council - can call off their emergency session now the country's top player is scoring again!

Did you know? Salah has scored the opening goal in more Premier League games than any other player this season (seven).

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

(What does the 'Did you know' for Alisson mean? Does it mean he has played the most games in an unbeaten run for Liverpool?)

It means he’s played more consecutive unbeaten games to start his career than anyone who’s ever played for us.

its not surprising given its our best ever start to a season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

It means he’s played more consecutive unbeaten games to start his career than anyone who’s ever played for us.

its not surprising given its our best ever start to a season.

To you and me, that might be what it means. No telling what it means to Crooks though, considering some of the things he has come out with...

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The comment section on that tweet is hilarious

Mancs crying like little girls cause it Souness, Spurs fans giving him shit.

One that made me laugh most was a manc claiming he wouldn't dare do that to Norman Whitside or Bryan Robson.