You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Garth Crooks Wisdom Thread

3 Stacks

On 05/01/2024 at 09:35, Creator Supreme said:

I don't think he ever got over being eaten by sharks in Live and Let Die.

Ha ha made me chuckle that.

The only thing I can remember him for is scoring a chip at Anfield in 1987 when we beat Charlton 3-2.

Otherwise he’s a prime early example of wasting the license fee before it became universal.

9 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ha ha made me chuckle that.

The only thing I can remember him for is scoring a chip at Anfield in 1987 when we beat Charlton 3-2.

Otherwise he’s a prime early example of wasting the license fee before it became universal.

He scored the only goal of the game when Spurs beat us at Anfield for the first time in about 75 years,I seem to remember?

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He scored the only goal of the game when Spurs beat us at Anfield for the first time in about 75 years,I seem to remember?

March 1985 - Grandstand/Football Focus/Saints & Greavsie or one of those, did a profile the morning of the game on the gap since their previous win at Anfield. They started it with a story on the Titanic so I presume it was 73 years. 

• 1 month later...

Dr Kananga's latest words of wisdom:

Mohamed Salah (Liverpool): It's no use Jurgen Klopp putting his hands on his head every time one of his players goes into a tackle. Curtis Jones, Diogo Jota and Darwin Nunez all came off with injuries in Liverpool's 4-1 demolition of Brentford but that's football.

Expecting a footballer not to pick up knocks is like expecting a chef never to cut his finger. This wasn't a dirty match full of pernicious tackles but a full-blooded Premier League fixture.

Liverpool are involved in four competitions and their wounded list is lengthening. The Reds are still flying high at the moment but can't sustain any further injuries in what is fast becoming a depleted squad.

The Merseysiders are about to play a resurgent Chelsea in the Carabao Cup final which, at one point, looked a forgone conclusion but is now too close to call. Any more players sidelined and it would also pose a serious threat to their title challenge.

Fortunately they have Mohamed Salah back after a stint on the treatment table and he looked impressive. With Salah on the pitch, anything is possible.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't at the game but did this actually happen? We "warmly appluaded" a Brighton team who were happy to hit the deck atvthe drop of a hat and who continually conned that shithouse ref? Really?

Screenshot_20240401_122638_BBC Sport.jpg

3 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I wasn't at the game but did this actually happen? We "warmly appluaded" a Brighton team who were happy to hit the deck atvthe drop of a hat and who continually conned that shithouse ref? Really?

Screenshot_20240401_122638_BBC Sport.jpg

Quite a few people applauded their goal. To be fair some of their passing out from the back was very impressive. I'm not sure it got too much applause like. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Quite a few people applauded their goal. To be fair some of their passing out from the back was very impressive. I'm not sure it got too much applause like. 

They play very confidently in possession but ultimately I just don't think they have enough players who are good enough to play that way.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They play very confidently in possession but ultimately I just don't think they have enough players who are good enough to play that way.

Well that probably depends on your aspirations. They're Brighton and they're 9th in the league. Would they be higher playing a different style of football? I'd say pretty unlikely. They lost 2 of their best players last summer and this bad spell they're having has been while mitoma has been out, who was probably their 3rd best player last year. This is probably the best side (and I include last year) any Brighton fan has ever watched.