You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Panama Papers

cloggypop

For me it's not about Cameron's dad doing it. It was legal so he was entitled to do it.

But Cameron, as a beneficiary, has received the benefit of this little ploy. And so it pisses me off when said beneficiary waxes lyrical about austerity, belt-tightening, closing tax loopholes, and how we are all in it together.

Not to mention the way the ham mannequin called Jimmy Carr "immoral" for an equally legal tax scam.

The question is, is he still benefiting from his father's tax avoidance. Anyway weren't you saying the other day about people on the dole thanking the taxpayer every day for the benefits they receive? I'm sure the soon to be unemployed Steelworks are grateful to people like Cameron.

Are you thinking about when he said that immigrants should thank their host country and never complain about the racist abuse they receive?
  • Upvote 1

Not really.

Lazy, for sure, but not a liar. I can't be arsed looking back at your racist drivel about the Iranian taxi driver in Holland. If it's an issue for you, feel free to link to it, so people can see if I'm being unfair.

The racist drivel was spouted by the Iranian taxi driver when he made an ignorant racist generalisation about Dutch people. You called me a racist for criticising his two faced attitude to the country that took him in.

Happy to help.

• Downvote 2

The racist drivel was spouted by the Iranian taxi driver when he made an ignorant racist generalisation about Dutch people. You called me a racist for criticising his two faced attitude to the country that took him in.

Happy to help.

That's not what happened though is it.

Iranian bloke said that the Dutch are all racist (which everyone agrees is an ironically racist generalisation) and you responded with a racist jab of your own.

I'm never going to get the chance to pull the Dutch racists or the racist cabbie up on their racism; but I can call you on yours.

You daft racist liar.

That's not what happened though is it.

Iranian bloke said that the Dutch are all racist (which everyone agrees is an ironically racist generalisation) and you responded with a racist jab of your own.

I'm never going to get the chance to pull the Dutch racists or the racist cabbie up on their racism; but I can call you on yours.

You daft racist liar.

There was no racism in my post. I pointed out he was nevertheless still happy to take their money. I don't know in what world criticising such a two faced attitude amounts to racism.

However it's good that you're finally acknowledging that the cabbie was a racist, for the first time.

• Downvote 1

There was no racism in my post. I pointed out he was nevertheless still happy to take their money. I don't know in what world criticising such a two faced attitude amounts to racism.

However it's good that you're finally acknowledging that the cabbie was a racist, for the first time.

Stereotyping in saying all Dutch people are racist isn't racism. This is just a fucking stupid argument started because you retorted with something which was stupid. If someone said to me "all Indians are racist" based on a few encounters I wouldn't call them a racist. I'd call them a stupid cunt but nothing more.

• Upvote 2

Stereotyping in saying all Dutch people are racist isn't racism. This is just a fucking stupid argument started because you retorted with something which was stupid. If someone said to me "all Indians are racist" based on a few encounters I wouldn't call them a racist. I'd call them a stupid cunt but nothing more.

It is racist. Of course it is. To say all of a race are racist, is in itself racist. Whether the cabbie really means that or not, or is just being flippant, is another matter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It was an archetypal racist response.  If you don't see that, it's because you're a bit, y'know....

And I've never denied that the cabbie's reaction was racist.  You are aware, aren't you, that there are no laws of physics that restrict racism to one side of an argument.  In this instance, Dutch people have been racist to an Iranian; his branding of all Dutch people as racist was racist; and your "he should be grateful or stop taking their money" response was also racist.

"Happy to help."

Guest Numero Veinticinco

In what sense is David Cameron to blame for the things his deceased father did?

If the money he inherited is still being hidden, then it's dubious, as the interest he earns won't be taken into account for the amount of tax he is liable for. I assume it's a considerable amount of wealth, yielding a significant amount of income.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The Dutch aren't a race. It's a nationality.

They're both, according to the Oxford English Dictionary.

The Dutch aren't a race. It's a nationality.

No such thing as a race; so either we abandon the word altogether (which would leave a lot of bad shit undefined) or we broaden our understanding of it.

I don't think I'm alone in using "racism" to describe any hatred or fear of an ethnic, national, religious or other group, based on (perceived or alleged) characteristics they share. 

• Upvote 1

I think what Cameron's comments do is reinforce the hard truth that the modern Tory claim to being the bastions of king and country is all a load of bollocks. They deride Corbyn for not bowing his head low enough at a remembrance day parade, yet they're perfectly happy to live off the country like parasites and not pay their fair share into the country's infrastructure. 

This is what it's all about, they're not the Tory party of old, they're not the establishment, they're an international and highly mobile superclass without borders, they're as uninterested in the UK's future as Putin's mates are in Russia or the Republicans are in the States, as they shut down whole government departments in an effort to pass throuh legislation for the benefit of multinational corporations. 

• Upvote 4

Racism is deffo on the rise over here in the Netherlands. Loads of support for Gert Wilders who promised to get rid of the Moroccans. Not all Dutch are racist of course. The matter is complicated by him being an Amsterdam taxi driver as pretty much all of them are fucking horrible people who try and rip you off (nationality of driver doesn't come into it). He might just be getting hate because of his profession and misinterpreting it.

Enough of the Dutch in this thread though. They haven't released any names yet. I'll be made up if that hypocritical cunt Bongo out of U2 is named.

No such thing as a race; so either we abandon the word altogether (which would leave a lot of bad shit undefined) or we broaden our understanding of it.

I don't think I'm alone in using "racism" to describe any hatred or fear of an ethnic, national, religious or other group, based on (perceived or alleged) characteristics they share. 

Exactly. "Racism" is another instance of conflict between usage and meaning of a word in broad layman usage vs as a theoretical concept in the humanities/science. Quite similar to "theory" or "know/believe".

I think culture is more the correct term rather than race. Brits have similar views to stuff regardless of their ethnic backrgound or colour or orientation, as do yanks. A lot of yanks look and talk like me but I can barely think of a nationality that thinks less like me than yanks do. 

I think culture is more the correct term rather than race. Brits have similar views to stuff regardless of their ethnic backrgound or colour or orientation, as do yanks. A lot of yanks look and talk like me but I can barely think of a nationality that thinks less like me than yanks do. 

I'd say culture is way too broad a term to be useful in most of the cases, though. There may be a few instances where it can be used to describe a dominant set of ideas within a population, but concepts like habitus or milieu are much better suited to the complexity of the issue in my opinion.

Racism is deffo on the rise over here in the Netherlands. Loads of support for Gert Wilders who promised to get rid of the Moroccans. Not all Dutch are racist of course. The matter is complicated by him being an Amsterdam taxi driver as pretty much all of them are fucking horrible people who try and rip you off (nationality of driver doesn't come into it). He might just be getting hate because of his profession and misinterpreting it.

Enough of the Dutch in this thread though. They haven't released any names yet. I'll be made up if that hypocritical cunt Bongo out of U2 is named.

That's taxi driver-ist!