You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres

Bjornebye

Can you imagine the gob on Torres when he realised he would be playing second fiddle to a force of nature?

At his best Torres really wasn't that far behind Suarez. They would have torn europe apart. Torres wasn't shit when he went to Chelsea. He just quickly realised what a mistake he had made and carried on sulking.

Always remember a story I was told about Torres - apparently he failed his Chelsea medical because his knee was in a bad way (and he'd missed a lot of last season with problems with it) and the way his career has gone since then leads me to absolutely believe that. But Abramovich decided to do it anyway because all the press etc was done.

Always remember a story I was told about Torres - apparently he failed his Chelsea medical because his knee was in a bad way (and he'd missed a lot of last season with problems with it) and the way his career has gone since then leads me to absolutely believe that. But Abramovich decided to do it anyway because all the press etc was done.

It was definetly the knee. Never the same player afterwards

His debut season was exceptional 16 minutes in bang. Can't be many better first seasons in the past 25 years in the league can there?

He started picking up injury problems from 08/09. Didn't he have two knee ops before he left us?.

But there is something in the mental side. He looked like a broken man at Chelsea he still got into good positions but instead of his calmness and precision he fluffed his lines.

On a free in the summer I think. He's still in with a chance of winning the European Cup with his hometown team, stranger things have happened.

• Upvote 1

He had been idolised all his career up until he went to Chelsea. We didn't have time to question him as just as you pointed out, he started banging them in right away. All of a sudden he is just another fish, an ex-Liverpool player and surrounded by gobshites like Terry and Ashley fucking Cole. No wonder it went tits up. 

I've still got the copy of TLW with this picture on the cover and the caption "Don't you just love him" at the top of my pile of old TLW's.

fernando-torres-300-932157846.jpg

To be fair, Atletico weren't very good (and he joined us at 22? So was a kid most of his seasons pre joining us) and, like most strikers, Spain's style doesn't suit.

Rafa definitely took him up several levels but it was also something of a perfect storm here as well. You couldn't have a better player than Gerrard playing off him.

• Upvote 1

We milked him for all he was worth and sold him at exactly the right time. No ill will from me and watching some of his old highlight videos brings back some great memories. 

As well as being physically shot, Chelsea could never figure out how to get the best out of him. I think our counter-attacking style under Rafa suited him perfectly. 

Was a lazy sulky fucked the last few months of his time here, most notably the Derby at Goodison and Birmingham away. However, the state the club was in and having Roy Hodgson as the manager I can see why he was pissed off. He must have felt like it would be a couple of seasons before Liverpool would sort themselves out and get rid of the shite players he had around him.

Would have been interesting to see if he could have played well with Suarez. At least we wouldn't have bought Andy Carroll

He's never look good when paired with any strike partner and been absolutely shite for a lot longer than when he went to Chelsea.  He didn't huff, the injuries caught up with him.

Complete fantasy stuff to think Suarez and Torres was ever going to click at Anfield.

Great business selling for 50m but pissed it up the wall like we've done time and time again.

We milked him for all he was worth and sold him at exactly the right time. No ill will from me and watching some of his old highlight videos brings back some great memories. 

As well as being physically shot, Chelsea could never figure out how to get the best out of him. I think our counter-attacking style under Rafa suited him perfectly. 

We were so fucking clever we went out and spunked 35 million on Andy Carroll

He stopped playing for Benitez before Hodgson took over. Everyone at the whole club was sulking. I don't think it would have worked with him and Suarez. Torres would have had to go wide to see any ball, and I just don't think he responds well mentally to perceived adversity.

Nah, he always had that to his game. Boss player. I would have loved him to have played for us. I'm sure I recall us being linked with a move for him when Houllier was manager. Probably bullshit, though.

I think you're right. Never liked him much but he was good at his job and lethal from the spot,