You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres

Bjornebye

He's in the discussion when it comes to who is the best Liverpool forward of recent times. One of those few players who just had that thing about them, the feeling that whenever they got the ball something magical was about to happen. That he would glide past his opponents in that unique way that he could. 

I echo what KMD7 said. He tainted his legacy slightly by leaving for Chelsea in the way he did. But, in hindsight, we did quite well out of the move. 

And, he also had a boss song. 

"we're gonna bounce in a minute..." 

The season he left really was one of the bleakest periods I can remember as a Liverpool fan. Everything about the club just seemed fucked, and the future looked even worse. Hard to blame someone for jumping ship at that point.

• Upvote 1

I think all the players, and their agents, knew we were fucked with Hicks and Gillet around at that time and so it was no surprise some of them bailed.

I don’t know what was going on behind the scenes, but I felt Torres was sad at leaving us, we’d come so close to united under Benitez and the spine of that team was fantastic.

A couple of more signings and we had it in us to win the title.

Like everyone, I was gutted when he left for Chelsea but I never felt his heart was in it when he played for them like it was playing for us.

I hope he enjoys his retirement, he was fabulous for us for the first two seasons and that’s what I’d prefer to remember.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No bitterness at all from me towards Torres because Suarez acted far worse. Yeah, he went to Chelsea but we're not actually rivals with them, we got a disproportionate fee and the club was a joke when he left.

Not only that, I thought he was a really sympathetic guy. Not a huge character from what I remember but someone who you wanted to like.

Really good career. Could have been great with a bit more luck.

I always feel a little bit sad when I think about him. Right player wrong time. His telepathic link ups with Gerrard are the stuff of legend, incredible player, but never actually won anything with us. 

He deserved a better Liverpool, and we deserved a bit of class from the lad if he wanted to leave. 

I feel like we can look back favourably now that we have got our shit together again and are competing for the big trophies, something that seemed a million miles away when he walked out. 

Remembered for his time at Liverpool, yet the only club he never won a trophy with. It's an interesting discussion to be had about what people,  both players and fans alike, get out of the game. 

Further to that, is he the greatest ever Liverpool player to not win a trophy at the club? 

On 21/06/2019 at 13:47, Duff Man said:

The season he left really was one of the bleakest periods I can remember as a Liverpool fan. Everything about the club just seemed fucked, and the future looked even worse. Hard to blame someone for jumping ship at that point.

Agreed.

I always find it bizarre how over that period of about three or four years, some of our quality players that left are the worstest person EVER and others are still loved. Often because one player had a better PR manager than the other.

2 hours ago, A_S said:

Remembered for his time at Liverpool, yet the only club he never won a trophy with. It's an interesting discussion to be had about what people,  both players and fans alike, get out of the game. 

Further to that, is he the greatest ever Liverpool player to not win a trophy at the club? 

Nah, he’ll be remembered as a Atlético Madrid legend.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

He appeared on Chelsea TV saying he was glad he'd joined a big club. 

He's a cunt, end of. Anyone who thinks otherwise would, had they lived in 40s France, probably have turned their own parents into the Gestapo.

He's retired by the time we got our act together.   He said as much at the time, that he didn't have the years in him that it would take without serious investment and he's been proven correct there. 

He played for his boyhood team. He left them to better himself, in doing so he made loads of money and won the Champions League. He returned to His boyhood team, represented them in two European finals,  winning the Europa League. No hard feelings from me. Good luck to him.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

He appeared on Chelsea TV saying he was glad he'd joined a big club. 

He's a cunt, end of. Anyone who thinks otherwise would, had they lived in 40s France, probably have turned their own parents into the Gestapo.

This....

Fuck him.

• Upvote 1

On 21/06/2019 at 12:28, Nelly-Torres said:

He's in the discussion when it comes to who is the best Liverpool forward of recent times. One of those few players who just had that thing about them, the feeling that whenever they got the ball something magical was about to happen. That he would glide past his opponents in that unique way that he could. 

I echo what KMD7 said. He tainted his legacy slightly by leaving for Chelsea in the way he did. But, in hindsight, we did quite well out of the move. 

And, he also had a boss song. 

"we're gonna bounce in a minute..." 

Doing well would have meant we signed a decent replacement. We signed Andy Carroll. 

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

He's retired by the time we got our act together.   He said as much at the time, that he didn't have the years in him that it would take without serious investment and he's been proven correct there. 

No problem with people leaving or wanting to better themselves, just them being a cunt.

There's ways of doing that without going to a hated rival and letting them parade you on telly while you stick the boot in. 

Seriously, people who countenance this stuff devalue the loyalty, effort and passion shown by all the countless reds players throughout the years who carried themselves with class and dignity. Horrendous individual and I couldn't give a toss about him.

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

No problem with people leaving or wanting to better themselves, just them being a cunt.

There's ways of doing that without going to a hated rival and letting them parade you on telly while you stick the boot in. 

Seriously, people who countenance this stuff devalue the loyalty, effort and passion shown by all the countless reds players throughout the years who carried themselves with class and dignity. Horrendous individual and I couldn't give a toss about him.

I don’t regard Chelsea as a hated rival. They were an irrelevance when I was a kid and save for a few years in the mid to late 00s, they’re still pretty irrelevant to me.

No real feelings either way. Was everything I loved about football when he signed, was everything I hated about it when he left. We got a couple of great seasons out of him but he lost that explosiveness that set him aside from pretty much anything in Europe and we did brilliantly to sell him for as much as we did. Unfortunately we largely wasted the money.