You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ships and Boats Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

If you're ever in that part of town (Fenwick Street, off James Street) it's worth dropping into the Cornmarket; the wooden panelling comes from one of the lounges of the Reina del Pacifico.

Ah the Pacifico. The older of the two. Dad did one or two voyages in the early 1950s on the Pacifico, then the Reina del Mar in the late 50s before settling into a pattern of  3 cargos - the Cotopaxi, The Flamenco, and then his first Command on The Eleuthera. What a time it would have been to be a merchant seaman. They were incredible days for my Dad.

Alas, I left Liverpool as a 15 yr old in 1974 never to return. From memory, the port was going bankrupt, and Dad was offered a London commute after coming ashore in 1967, after the Furness Withy buy out of PSNC. He chose to resign and we came to New Zealand.

I plan to finally get back to Liverpool for a trip after I turn 65 next year. So many memories, and to get to Anfield for 1 of 2 last games…..

You know, one of the most amazing holidays i ever had as a kid, was a two week cruise on the RMS Andes in ‘69. Dad got some kind of deal through Furness Withy to make it affordable.

Southampton - Lisbon - Majorca - Naples - Sardinia - Capri - Southampton. She was a beautiful liner. Ringo Starr’s dad used to work on her - various roles looking after the passengers, and I distinctly remember him serving the ice cream at the pool side shop. Ha!

The third pic is The Eleuthera

6E5F8304-9D8C-4E0F-AE20-519205C44459.png

B469C96D-2FB3-4B71-BD56-F3ECEB3DDE7B.png

0D0EF6A5-9411-4EC5-85F4-964EADCE4FF6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Great news for workers in Belfast.

The shipyard that built the Titanic has won the UK’s first cruise ship contract in more than 20 years.

Harland & Wolff will undertake works on P&O Cruises’ ship Aurora and Cunard’s Queen Victoria in its dry docks in Belfast.

The Queen Victoria will be the largest cruise ship ever to have dry docked in a UK yard.

The awards will come as a boon to Harland & Wolff, which has fallen on hard times in recent years after once being the most prolific builder of ocean liners in the world.

London-based energy firm InfraStrata saved the yard from closure in 2019, paying £6m for the company. Around £1bn of taxpayer money is estimated to have been pumped into the business over the years.

Founded in 1861 by Edward Harland and his German business partner, Gustav Wolff, the shipbuilder employed 35,000 people at its peak.

Harland & Wolff built 140 warships and 123 merchants during the Second World War as well as more than 500 tanks.

It was nationalised in the 1950s as the rise in air travel led to a slump in travelling by sea. The last cruise liner to be built from scratch by Harland & Wolff was the Canberra in 1960.

Norwegian businessman Fred Olsen, best known for his eponymous cruise empire, returned Harland & Wolff to the private sector in 1989.

InfraStrata, which subsequently changed its corporate name to Harland & Wolff as well, initially planned to focus on metal fabrication for energy projects.

Chief executive John Wood said that Monday’s contract meant Harland & Wolff was returning to cruise ship building for the first time in more than two decades.

The contracts come just weeks after Boris Johnson announced a new National Shipbuilding Strategy by dedicating £4bn of Government investment to support yards in Britain.

The Prime Minister said: “Shipbuilding has been in our blood for centuries and I want to ensure it remains at the heart of British industry of generations to come.”

Mr Wood said that the cruise industry was a key target when InfraStrata bought Harland & Wolff.

He added: “Our facilities are ideally placed to capitalise on these types of large projects while we continue servicing our smaller but regular clients. We have now secured contracts in four out of our five markets; commercial, cruise & ferry, renewables and energy – we now look forward to completing the final milestone of securing a defence contract in the near future.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/04/12/titanic-shipyard-wins-uks-first-cruise-ship-contract-20-years/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As well as looking at houses I’ll never be able to afford I like looking at yachts I’ll never go on.  

Ideally I’d have a couple of weeks on the Med then cruise to the Maldives. Although at £3m a week it might mean it’s our only holiday that year.  

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-50836/flying-fox-photos.htm

• Upvote 1

One of the theories behind Wearsiders being called Mackems has to do with shipbuilding. As building yards on Wearside started to build more vessels in direct competition with the traditional Tyneside yards,the Tynesiders would say in a derogatory way 'On Tyneside we build ships but on Wearside they only 'Mack 'em' (Make them.) 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

One of the theories behind Wearsiders being called Mackems has to do with shipbuilding. As building yards on Wearside started to build more vessels in direct competition with the traditional Tyneside yards,the Tynesiders would say in a derogatory way 'On Tyneside we build ships but on Wearside they only 'Mack 'em' (Make them.) 

I heard that it was more about Newcastle merchants sneering at Sunderland shipbuilders.  The "smart" money is in trade, while only mugs work hard for little reward; hence "They mack 'em, we tack 'em".

On 18/06/2022 at 11:52, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I heard that it was more about Newcastle merchants sneering at Sunderland shipbuilders.  The "smart" money is in trade, while only mugs work hard for little reward; hence "They mack 'em, we tack 'em".

I think your theory is very much along the same lines as mine. Probably both along the same lines. It was borne of jealousy/competition and rivalry in very much the Liverpool/Manchester goes back to them circumnavigating the docks by building canals instead of relying on the docks. Both rivalries are still running.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, halewood pete said:

Wasn't it Southampton?

I know loads of geordies were crying about this affecting their cruise liner berths because Liverpool originally said it wouldnt build a new berth somewhere on this forum thread but I cant find it now!

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/tyne-shipping-and-the-port-of-tyne.987081/page-95

Southampton might have kicked off, I dont know.

On 18/08/2022 at 19:47, dockers_strike said:

I know loads of geordies were crying about this affecting their cruise liner berths because Liverpool originally said it wouldnt build a new berth somewhere on this forum thread but I cant find it now!

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/tyne-shipping-and-the-port-of-tyne.987081/page-95

Southampton might have kicked off, I dont know.

I live in Southampton and there was some grumbling. 

3 hours ago, easytoslip said:

I live in Southampton and there was some grumbling. 

Hahaha cheeky bastards. You get off the ship at Liverpool cruise terminal and you are pretty much directly in-front of the three graces (home of the whitestar line) with the Albert Dock a short walk along the pier. Then right ahead are some of the most historic buildings in one of the most famous cities in the world. 

Come out of Southampton terminal and you've got a pub and a fucking bowlplex. 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

When you moved there?

Haha there was some dislike to be honest, some here don't like outsiders I noticed, one in particular after the 86 semi when some bully twatted me mate and then me but I never went down and answered with a left to the jaw, he went flying and I continued to twat him, you fuckin' farmer cunt. 

I think most in the pub were made up as no one done anything, so a bit of acceptance. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahaha cheeky bastards. You get off the ship at Liverpool cruise terminal and you are pretty much directly in-front of the three graces (home of the whitestar line) with the Albert Dock a short walk along the pier. Then right ahead are some of the most historic buildings in one of the most famous cities in the world. 

Come out of Southampton terminal and you've got a pub and a fucking bowlplex. 

That's right, we're I live you often get people off what I suppose are mini cruises and there is fuck all to see apart from the old walls and a pub which shamelessly changed its name to the Titanic and they take photos of themselves under the sign, if I'm walking past I often tell them it's got fuck all to do with the Titanic but they don't understand. 

A nothing happening town for sure.