You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd - Europa League (a)

Hand Shandy

To charge us with illicit chanting is a joke surely?While I'm sure there were some idiots from our side doing it, it certainly wasn't apparent watching on TV, whereas you couldn't fucking miss the chants from them in both legs.If anyone at an executive level within the club has anything resembling a pair of bollocks, they need to be telling UEFA to go fuck themselves.

I'm having to guess what chants UEFA are referring to, because nothing "illicit" was audible on the telly (at least not from Liverpool fans). Was it Munich shit? If so, how come that is illicit, but Heysel and Hillsborough chants aren't?

Both clubs will be fined and warned about future transgressions

Wrong I know but they won't differentiate the fact that more of them were to blame imo. Fact is we have a few fucking special needs that respond in kind and UEFA will consider their inaction after the first leg as leniency which wont be extended . I doubt they would want to go completely ape and start imposing bans but it won't be an insignificant fine and there will be much more severe consequences if its repeated. Our club needs to take the lead and ban them now. It should have been done earlier.  We don't have this shit with any other club just a significant hard core of manc morons who should have been isolated and fucked off years ago. I am all for rivalry but common human decency trumps anything that may happen on a football pitch. 

• Upvote 1

We won the tie 3-1 and dumped them out of Europe. That's the most satisfying aspect. Beyond that we can expect them to use their power to get back at us, so this sort of rap sheet, especially the illicit chanting part, is farcical. 

As our club rises up again under Klopp, one of the roles that must be filled is to have an executive with some gravitas in the corridors of power within the game. Ian Ayre does a decent job getting cash from Garuda Airlines, or Dunkin Donuts, or whoever... but we all know there's more to the game than that. 

We need a man who will wield influence at the FA, the Premier League and also UEFA. Where is our David Gill?

The person we need should get on the front foot with looking after the club and setting the correct narrative. In this instance, we all know that the club should have filed a complaint against Man Utd last week. There was loads of evidence of illicit chanting on their part. LFC should have got on the front foot with that. 

If Man Utd responded, they would have looked small by comparison, and they would have looked like they were playing tit-for-tat... which unfortunately is what we will look like if we now try to add illicit chanting to their list of 'crimes'. 

It's all unseemly. I expect a fine for both clubs, but in future, we need someone with gravitas at the club to take charge of this sort of thing and defend our corner. 

Putting that frustration to one side, we knocked them out of Europe and we were the better side. They know it. We know it. And today is a sweet day!

• Upvote 1

We won the tie 3-1 and dumped them out of Europe. That's the most satisfying aspect. Beyond that we can expect them to use their power to get back at us, so this sort of rap sheet, especially the illicit chanting part, is farcical. 

As our club rises up again under Klopp, one of the roles that must be filled is to have an executive with some gravitas in the corridors of power within the game. Ian Ayre does a decent job getting cash from Garuda Airlines, or Dunkin Donuts, or whoever... but we all know there's more to the game than that. 

We need a man who will wield influence at the FA, the Premier League and also UEFA. Where is our David Gill?

The person we need should get on the front foot with looking after the club and setting the correct narrative. In this instance, we all know that the club should have filed a complaint against Man Utd last week. There was loads of evidence of illicit chanting on their part. LFC should have got on the front foot with that. 

If Man Utd responded, they would have looked small by comparison, and they would have looked like they were playing tit-for-tat... which unfortunately is what we will look like if we now try to add illicit chanting to their list of 'crimes'. 

It's all unseemly. I expect a fine for both clubs, but in future, we need someone with gravitas at the club to take charge of this sort of thing and defend our corner. 

Putting that frustration to one side, we knocked them out of Europe and we were the better side. They know it. We know it. And today is a sweet day!

All very well but no one at either club will want to open a can of worms over illicit chanting at the FA or UEFA . It then takes control away and its almost impossible to police and will end up in a farce trying to define what is and isn't illicit and who chanted what. Liverpool should just impose a ban every time it happens as they should have done ages ago. The trick is to get the majority of decent supporters to distance themselves from the knob-heads that spoil it for everyone. A blanket ban or a more restrictive ticket allocation could bring that about

All very well but no one at either club will want to open a can of worms over illicit chanting at the FA or UEFA . It then takes control away and its almost impossible to police and will end up in a farce trying to define what is and isn't illicit and who chanted what. Liverpool should just impose a ban every time it happens as they should have done ages ago. The trick is to get the majority of decent supporters to distance themselves from the knob-heads that spoil it for everyone. A blanket ban or a more restrictive ticket allocation could bring that about

Fair enough. The club should be proactive in sorting this out, and this would be a good solution. 

No idea why the Manc's weren't charged with chanting but be that as it may. I would like us to try and root out all the bellwhiffs who did chant about Munich and all those Urchin muppets who just seem intent on causing issues. 

The crazy thing is is that the ghost of Shankly, Paisley and Kenny himself could hold a press conference telling the knob heads to cut it out and it would still happen. 

Mind you I'm not one of those who likes to sit by the away end and spend half the game facing the opposition fans.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm more deaf than I think I am but I was there last night and I never heard one Munich chant. Their fans sat in silence the whole game apart from the penalty. The only time I heard Munich mentioned was when Schweinsteiger came on and even then it was 2 or 3 people just shouting it not singing it.

After Coutinho scored and throughout the half time break the whole away section was bouncing but singing Coutinho's song. Poor scouser Tommy and fergies right your fans are shite.

If there were knobheads singing Munich songs then I am sure the most of the decent fans would have told them to shut up.

With regards to the Liverpool fans in their end they bought tickets off the Internet as Man Utd had them on general sale. I've tried to buy tickets off other teams websites but they won't sell you them, especially if you have a Liverpool postcode. Also they weren't in there the whole game goading people or causing trouble. They did pretty well to keep themselves to themselves the whole game. It's only when they unfurled the flag that the Mancs went mad. The flag was just a normal Liverpool flag with no offensive slogan. Also the police and stewards let the Mancs hold up a "without killing anyone" banner with 3 European Cups on it all game and it never got taken off them.

I was really surprised reading the BBC report on the way home as it makes out that it was like England fans smashing everything up at Langstone road in the nineties.

There was one reasonably loud Munich chant from a few hundred which lasted about 10 seconds as it was all kicking off upstairs. The fact that we have been charged for that and they haven't is an absolute disgrace. Agree with the rest of your post.

Fair enough. The club should be proactive in sorting this out, and this would be a good solution. 

Yes they should and if they had any sense they would work together on a joint initiative

The adverse publicity does neither club any favours, A proactive approach would also lessen the chance the UEFA are going to get involved.