You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace 1 Liverpool 2 (Mar 6 2016)

tlw content

palacereport2.jpg

This team does my head in. We never know what we’re going to get from them and it’s absolutely infuriating. Once again they followed up a great performance and big victory with a shit sandwich. For 72 minutes anyway, from the moment we equalised we looked a different team but before that it was just dull, uninspiring shite, the same kind of thing we’ve seen so many times previously this season.

I don’t mind admitting I was cursing them right up until Palace gifted us an equaliser. After that I thought they were great actually, to play the way they did with only ten men was commendable. We looked like the side with the extra man in the last 15 minutes or so and you’ve got to give it to the players, effort is very rarely the problem with them. The three points are obviously most welcome but I just can’t get excited over any of this. It threw up more questions than it provided answers. If we’d followed up the City game with a convincing performance I could have gotten on board with it, but this just showed why there’s no point putting any kind of faith in this team. 

It took 64 minutes for them to even manage a shot on target against a Palace side who haven’t won in 2016 and have taken less points than Villa this year. This happens far too often, and it must drive Klopp mad. There’s just no consistency at all and it’s impossible to get any kind of feel for where we are as a team or what we’re capable of achieving. The team that beat City in midweek should be challenging for the title, but the one we saw for most of this game would do well to even make the top half.  

So which one is the real Liverpool? Right now it’s neither, which explains why we aren’t challenging at the top or floundering in the bottom half. I feel like we’re nearer to being a very good side than a really average one, but maybe that’s the heart ruling the head? 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month. 

• Upvote 2

What's infuriating about this group of players is the sheer number of them who look world class one game and then Vauxhall Conference the next. Lallana and Milner in particular fall into this category. How can they take City to the cleaners and then fail to create a single chance against the worst form team in the division? Lallana was sensational the other night but just can't string two good performances together. It must wreck Klopp's head. 

Putting too much credit into our good performance. Neither Villa nor City were interested at all, so we looked very good. Palace were at it and we wilted. Consistency can be found in neither of the extremes. Thursday will be a good test.

Origi has made a difference, too.

Though Lallana doesn't fit this theory, I think part of our problem is that consistently performing players tend to be in the peak age-range of 25-30 roughly, and we select against that with our transfer policy.

If you look at the Dortmund team Klopp left, their policy of buying youth is similar but their squad is also stacked with peak age players.

It was a 0-0 draw at Reading when McCarhy was outstanding for them.

Pleasing result and final 20 minutes but it did certainly mask another mostly disappointing performance. Have we even managed back to back impressive performances at any point this season? The win does keep our faint hopes of making the top 4 alive but it's hard to have much faith that a team who have been so infuriatingly inconsistent since Klopp arrived will suddenly put together the sort of winning streak required.

Good report and spot on about that slimy manager of theirs.

I think the consistency problem is largely due to the lack of experienced, leaders on the pitch. We seem to drift through the bad games with nobody pulling the side together and demanding better.

Sorry about negging it in error....

It would be very typical of this side to follow up on Thursday with a flat and uninspired performance when actually you would think that they would come out full of beans after winning like this....

Look at the next game after our exhilarating win at Norwich for a perfect example of this...we lost 1-0 at home to Stoke in the semi 2nd leg....but we won the shoot out so again ended on a massive high but next time out (albeit playing ok with kids) we draw 0-0 with West Ham...

This has truly been a game-to-game season, with little rhyme or reason to it. Even so, we looked better in the cup final, against City in the league and against Palace with Origi and Lallana in the side, instead of Sturridge and Coutinho, both of whom will no doubt be starting on Thurs.

Based on our most recent results, which is all that matters this season, we should stay with a winning side.

This has truly been a game-to-game season, with little rhyme or reason to it. Even so, we looked better in the cup final, against City in the league and against Palace with Origi and Lallana in the side, instead of Sturridge and Coutinho, both of whom will no doubt be starting on Thurs.

Based on our most recent results, which is all that matters this season, we should stay with a winning side.

Maybe stretching it a bit, particularly since Coutinho coming on coincided with our better play.

Klopp does have plenty of options now for Thursday, so it won't be easy for the opposition to plan for how we'll set up.

I think it was a very good win. It's impossible to play really well every game. Sometimes you just have to grind it out, which in its own way is a very pleasing way to pick up three points. I think the team is evolving before our eyes. Klopp will add some of his own players in the summer, and you would have to think that when he does we will see more performances at a higher level than we've seen this season. But they will still have iffy games where it will all boil down to character, desire and passion. That's what got us the three points against Palace. 

They are a bit of a bogey team for us. They have some good players and a lot of pace and power. Pardew hates us too, and he always has them well fired up against us. The flip side of that is the bosses over at Palace should take a look at their man and ask, legitimately, why they don't play that way more regularly. If they did they would be much higher up the table. So ironically their good performance should, I hope, see him dragged into the chairman's office to explain why they've been so bad in 2016. 

But anyway, we are inconsistent, but that's football sometimes. I'm delighted with the character we showed to get the three points against Palace. In it's own way, for me at least, it was as satisfying as the 3-0 win against Man City. 

It's impossible to play really well every game. 

While that is undoubtedly true, you have to find ways to offer a threat up front, test opposition goalkeepers and put opposition defences under pressure at least a little bit even if the team is playing below par. If you do that game in game out regardless of how well you're playing, then other teams will be very wary. It's not often you'll win games having taken over an hour to get in any meaningful attempts on goal.

Good report that,have to admit not too bothered how we played in this one just made up to get a win after the last few seasons against them,the way we won it made it even better because it sent that prick pardew into meltdown,just gets funnier every time you watch it

To be in a position - at this stage and after some of the mediocre shite we've seen this year - to completely fuck up Man United's season is plenty to look forward to.  Full marks for these six points since the LC Final.  There's hope, even if that's a dangerous thing.

• Upvote 1

I watched the game again and there were plenty of positives. Klopp must be getting sick of saying it and no one seems to be taking it on board but without a pre-season this is pretty much what he expected. The big plus for me is there will be no drama in the summer, no bedding in period for a new manager, no getting to know the players blah blah and i suspect no major squad overhaul this time around. All that is being done now in front of our eyes. one or two signings he can trust from the get go is what i expect, and we will hit the ground running in August. Its the very reason Spurs are going like a train.

palacereport2.jpg

This team does my head in. We never know what we’re going to get from them and it’s absolutely infuriating. Once again they followed up a great performance and big victory with a shit sandwich. For 72 minutes anyway, from the moment we equalised we looked a different team but before that it was just dull, uninspiring shite, the same kind of thing we’ve seen so many times previously this season.

I don’t mind admitting I was cursing them right up until Palace gifted us an equaliser. After that I thought they were great actually, to play the way they did with only ten men was commendable. We looked like the side with the extra man in the last 15 minutes or so and you’ve got to give it to the players, effort is very rarely the problem with them. The three points are obviously most welcome but I just can’t get excited over any of this. It threw up more questions than it provided answers. If we’d followed up the City game with a convincing performance I could have gotten on board with it, but this just showed why there’s no point putting any kind of faith in this team.

It took 64 minutes for them to even manage a shot on target against a Palace side who haven’t won in 2016 and have taken less points than Villa this year. This happens far too often, and it must drive Klopp mad. There’s just no consistency at all and it’s impossible to get any kind of feel for where we are as a team or what we’re capable of achieving. The team that beat City in midweek should be challenging for the title, but the one we saw for most of this game would do well to even make the top half.

So which one is the real Liverpool? Right now it’s neither, which explains why we aren’t challenging at the top or floundering in the bottom half. I feel like we’re nearer to being a very good side than a really average one, but maybe that’s the heart ruling the head?

This is just a teaser, click here to view the article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

Load of shite.

Oi dick. Your reports do my head in. What's with all these skank americanisms that every week worm their way into your reports?

"...with a convincing performance I could have gotten on board". Gotten. GOTTEN. And the minute I read that fucking "gotten", I knew without doubt a "jabroni" was brewing. And within what, a hundred words, up pops "The last time we saw that Alex McCarthy jabroni...". Kerfuckingching. The fuck?

rb14's tip of the day, and this is on the house, no charge. Despite what anyone says, you're not a loud, sweaty, wobbly yank, K? You're a cuddly scouser. "Not shushing Kloppo now are yer, soft lad?" And this too; "(Pardew)... the whiny little gobshite." Elsewhere you commendably mention the "lino".

Geddit now? Jeeez. Sheeesh, some guys y'know?

All that aside, you're still sucking on Sturridge's snake aren't you? Careful mate, it'll spit in your face. And on the downside as I keep saying, he's at best a decent striker. He's not the fucking messiah. Play Benteke over Sturridge against the mancs.

That's all folks.

• Upvote 4

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Putting too much credit into our good performance. Neither Villa nor City were interested at all, so we looked very good. Palace were at it and we wilted. Consistency can be found in neither of the extremes. Thursday will be a good test.

Origi has made a difference, too.

Boo boo, we are doing well and we must find a way to piss on it

Oi dick. Your reports do my head in. What's with all these skank americanisms that every week worm their way into your reports?

"...with a convincing performance I could have gotten on board". Gotten. GOTTEN. And the minute I read that fucking "gotten", I knew without doubt a "jabroni" was brewing. And within what, a hundred words, up pops "The last time we saw that Alex McCarthy jabroni...". Kerfuckingching. The fuck?

rb14's tip of the day, and this is on the house, no charge. Despite what anyone says, you're not a loud, sweaty, wobbly yank, K? You're a cuddly scouser. "Not shushing Kloppo now are yer, soft lad?" And this too; "(Pardew)... the whiny little gobshite." Elsewhere you commendably mention the "lino".

Geddit now? Jeeez. Sheeesh, some guys y'know?

All that aside, you're still sucking on Sturridge's snake aren't you? Careful mate, it'll spit in your face. And on the downside as I keep saying, he's at best a decent striker. He's not the fucking messiah. Play Benteke over Sturridge against the mancs.

That's all folks.

Gotten makes me sound like an American? 

Newslfash Rog, I don't even like Sturridge, I think he's a tit. He's a great player though, when he can be arsed anyway. Don't know how you can even dispute that, especially as you should know all about great strikers having tried and failed to shut me down for years on a Thursday night.