You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd - Europa League (h)

Hand Shandy

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't watched it back yet but initial thoughts are Clyne was MOTM. I thought he had a terrific game.

We were brilliant and every player did a good job, though Moreno had me pulling my hair out a few times. He shit out of a challenge he was favourite for and Klopp absolutely ripped him a new one. He was screaming at him then just stared at him for ages. But he improved as the game went on. Klopp was spot on with his subs too, Allen wrestled the game back in our favour in the middle of the park and Origi scared them with his pace.

Sakho and Can were also superb. Hendo and Lallana both put in a good shift, as did Lovren and Firmino and Coutinho both played some delightful stuff. Coutinho was very unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. Origi looked decent when he came on too. Worked his balls off and put a good shift in.

The Mancs were absolute shite though and we shouldn't be fearing going to their place next week. They'll have to attack us and I can easily see us scoring a goal or two.

How Fellaini stayed on the pitch was beyond me. Even if you forget the incident with Can he must have comitted 5/6 fouls after he got booked. I was particularly fuming because I stood to get £128 back on a bet I made of us getting a penalty and Fellaini getting sent off. The fucking big shit bastard.

Anyway, good performance, good result and the behaviour of their fans aside a very enjoyable night. Can't wait for next week now, hope they get knocked out the FA cup at the weekend and then we finish the job in style next week.

Somes up my feelings exactly, 

Allen and Origi were great subs. Allen as you say got control of the middle and Origi definitely scared them with his pace. Fast players make teams retreat and he is perfect for that. 

Fellaini staying on that pitch to me is only the tip of the iceberg. The ref tonight was dodgy to put it mildly. Even with the pen watching it in real time it looked like he took more time than necessary to give it which makes me think it was a shout from one of his assisstants. He let United away with a myriad of stuff but seemed trigger happy to penalize our lads anytime he had the chance.

Anyway this time our football did the talking which is what matters tonight. 

For all the debate about Sturridge, I don't doubt his commitment to the cause. I just doubt his physical ability to do what he should be capable of. He's looked a yard off pace ever since his return. To be fair it could take a while(maybe a good pre-season) for him to get right again. But at the minute I don't care what anyone says, something isn't right with him. It might just take time though. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

I could never tire from Scholes going full mong. He's like a little kid who has just visited his dad in prison and has been told it wasn't for armed robbery but because he was a nonce. 

In fairness to Sturridge, he stood up to the plate and stuck the penalty in the back of the net, I was certain he'd miss. So fair fucks to him for that. He's always been a bit of a moody sod and the Allen substitution was an inspired one completely put us right back on top. His lack of sprints is a major concern, but even having his name on the team sheet does something for this team. He should very well have had an assist when he left Rojo for dead and which was definitely shot with his right foot somehow Coutinho couldn't bundle over the line.

Every time i watch Clyne i just think 'how did that happen?'. We managed to sign a 24 year old English right back, after a season where he was the best right back in the league, completely uncontested, for a really reasonable price.

It's a statistical anomaly. 

Nobody got Ayre involved.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough! I've probably just been scarred too much by them over the years, so even with a 2-0 lead I'm cautious!

I wouldn't be comfortable with a 4-0 lead.

But this average gang of bottlers beat them and I can't see a reason, we shouldn't call the strippers and dance on as good a night as it gets.

Similar to a Trump Presidency, worry about it, when it happens.

I overestimated United. They are a dumpster fire.

That being said, everyone stepped up and played well, Klopp managed the game brilliantly and the result was a great European performance. 

Lallana was terrific and he might just be solidifying a spot for himself next season. I like him a lot more on the right wing than Milner because he gives us basically the same amount of work rate but he also gives us more quality on the ball.

Also, it's a bit of a travesty that Allen is being kept on the bench for Henderson at the moment. Imo, Allen is the better midfielder.

• Upvote 1

Sturridge was definitely not moving as freely as he was in the last couple of games he's played but still took up some very good positions. I can't work out if he was carrying a knock or acting under instruction though. In fairness, he did look like he wanted to stay on when he was subbed.

I've non idea what Klopp's been doing with Allen. I think he's been keeping him in a cage and feeding him raw meat, as he was a little terrier when he came on. More of that, and less sand being kicked in your face please, Joe.

EDIT: While I hate to talk of the opposition in positive terms, particularly this opposition, I have to doff my cap to De Gea. Some excellent saves, without which the Mancs would have no hope at all next week.

• Upvote 3

Sturridge was definitely not moving as freely as he was in the last couple of games he's played but still took up some very good positions. I can't work out if he was carrying a knock or acting under instruction though. In fairness, he did look like he wanted to stay on when he was subbed.

I've non idea what Klopp's been doing with Allen. I think he's been keeping him in a cage and feeding him raw meat, as he was a little terrier when he came on. More of that, and less sand being kicked in your face please, Joe.

EDIT: While I hate to talk of the opposition in positive terms, particularly this opposition, I have to doff my cap to De Gea. Some excellent saves, without which the Mancs would have no hope at all next week.

De Gea was very lucky that Sturridge wasn't fit.

A 100% Sturridge would have made him famous, last night.

• Upvote 1

We should really have scored 4 last night. Thank fuck it wasn't Lallana who missed that sitter that Coutinho fucked up last night. The usual suspects would be squealing about it for weeks. We need to start on the front foot next week. Tear into them. And score some goals.

Could De Gea just once have slightly shit positioning or something against Liverpool, ala Hart and Lallana the other week? The cunt is always on top form against Liverpool, even going back to the EL semi-final for Atletico a few years back.

About time Lallana fucked off the designer stubble too, and the performance backed it up!

While I can understand the people celebrating wildly, we beat those bastards so why not. I am in the 'it's only half time' club. 

That would (in the words of an Anfield Wrap writer) make me a prick. Actually what would make me a prick is celebrating wildly only to then get stuffed next week and go out. Having actually forgotten that this is a two legged game that you need to 'win over the two legs.' 

I am always nervous in these big games anyway. Not having ticked the Europa league for auto cup because we had a fucking bluffer in charge at the time, I was stuck watching with family. I get so nervous I find things to do, like make a cuppa or wander in to the hall to check the wallpaper looks ok. 

The relief when the final whistle went and the scum had failed to grab an away goal was huge. One goal at their theatre of pricks next week and they need to score 4, if they achieve that then we deserve to go out. 

Brilliant performance from our team, Klopp is amazing. I'm going to enjoy this week basking in the great victory but the team need to finish the job at their place. Reading Klopp's comments on last night he is more than aware this is only half time. I suppose somebody had better tell the TAW. 

We should really have scored 4 last night. Thank fuck it wasn't Lallana who missed that sitter that Coutinho fucked up last night. The usual suspects would be squealing about it for weeks. We need to start on the front foot next week. Tear into them. And score some goals.

Definitely should have been 3.

Coutinho's was a terrible miss.

Henderson you would hope a brilliant player puts that away.

Sturridge's one De Gea did really well to get out quick and smother.

Lallana did well to get a foot on his, just need a bit of luck at that speed for it to go anywhere but straight at the keeper.

Thought de Gea did well on both the Coutinho and Clyne long shots, they were swerving like mother fuckers - a shit keeper might have let one of those in.

Definitely should have been 3.

Coutinho's was a terrible miss.

Henderson you would hope a brilliant player puts that away.

Sturridge's one De Gea did really well to get out quick and smother.

Lallana did well to get a foot on his, just need a bit of luck at that speed for it to go anywhere but straight at the keeper.

Thought de Gea did well on both the Coutinho and Clyne long shots, they were swerving like mother fuckers - a shit keeper might have let one of those in.

I reckon if Sturridge was looking at any other keeper, he buries it. After the Coutinho save, he's a little shook.

And the fans played their part. I was worried the Mancs would leave believing the "myth" that is European nights at Anfield.

Whatever the result next week, they will not come close to matching the atmosphere.

And, rather than bad positioning, Hart slipped for Lallana's goal agin Citeh