You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I miss Stevie...

Curly

We still haven't replaced Gerrard of 1999 to 2009. Can shows potential but he has to start adding end product to those marauding runs. 

Can will never be even quarter the player Gerrard was.

There isn't one aspect of his game that's remotely close to a 22 year old Gerrards game.

Like Moreno who scored that one off goal against Spurs, it blinded many to how shit he actually was, Can does a few nice looking runs here and there or a once in a blue moon eye catching assist and for some reason it blinds many to his overall ineptness.

I think its because we have seen so much mediocrity we kid ourselves that it isn't, Sakho being the prime example at this moment.

• Upvote 5

Palace supporting mate of mine claims, without a hint of a joke, that Scholes is better than him.

It took everything I had not to end our friendship there and then

Loads of people think the same. A bizarre claim in my eyes, scholes is not fit to lace Gerrard's boots, if we're being honest about it.

I go back to my earlier claim, that Gerrard is one of, if not THE best all round footballers of all time.

11 Stevies would beat 11 of any other player ever in my opinion.

He was absolutely fucking class and my ever decreasing love of football died a lot the day he left us, which is a massive testament to Klopp, Flanno and our fans for actually keeping me coming back.

Y3g7Hw.jpg

Palace supporting mate of mine claims, without a hint of a joke, that Scholes is better than him.

It took everything I had not to end our friendship there and then

Really not a ridiculous thing to say frankly. All bias aside, you could absolutely make an argument that Scholes was better. I always thought it was a weird comparison though, as they have different attributes.

Scholes was a quality player but for me Gerrard had that bit more. While not a great DM he could play there,he could tackle (hated that Gray "oflh thats a Scholsey tackle haha"after he nearly broke legs in lunges). And when the chips were down Gerrard showed up

Wow, I mean I was hoping for some sort of argument why you thought Gerrard was better but I guess you're unable to put a coherent thought together.

I don't think he needs to elaborate much. Scholes was a great playmaker. Gerrard had it all. Strong, quick, passing, shooting, tackling, goals, assists, multiple positions.

I'll reiterate again. 11 Gerrards batter 11 Scholeses

• Upvote 1

Gerrard is better in every single area.

That's simply untrue

Scholes was a quality player but for me Gerrard had that bit more. While not a great DM he could play there,he could tackle (hated that Gray "oflh thats a Scholsey tackle haha"after he nearly broke legs in lunges). And when the chips were down Gerrard showed up

Yeah, in my opinion Scholes was better on the ball, a better passer, and could control games on a level only bettered by Xavi and Pirlo but Gerrard could produce more match-winning moments and could shoot and tackle better. It's very close between the two imo.

Really not a ridiculous thing to say frankly. All bias aside, you could absolutely make an argument that Scholes was better. I always thought it was a weird comparison though, as they have different attributes.

It is ridiculous in my opinion. I can't think of any other midfielder in modern football that could change the course of a game like Gerrard could.

In his prime he was one of the best midfielder in the world, certainly the best English one.

A complete player.

• Upvote 1

Gerrard called Scholes "the best footballer I have played against in this league".

Steven never had the pleasure of playing with himself however. (cue Alan Sex post)

Well he's hardly likely to say scholes was a good player (who couldnt tackle for shit by the way!) but Im by far the complete footballer out of the two of us, was he?