You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Radio Phone Ins

Section_31

When i first started in security you couldn't have laptops or anything on site so it was a book or radio at night. Night time call in shows were ace. Once you got to 10/11 oclock the loons started to come out. Conspiracy theories,aliens the lot. It was great

When i first started in security you couldn't have laptops or anything on site so it was a book or radio at night. Night time call in shows were ace. Once you got to 10/11 oclock the loons started to come out. Conspiracy theories,aliens the lot. It was great

There was one on telly called under the moon like that with Danny Kelly on. It was class. People would just phone up and say stuff like 'I seen Andy Cole at Manchester Airport - and he fucked me up the arse.'

Talksport was actually good for this.

Had one on in the car and forgot how shite they were. Hadn't listened to one for years since the days of Ian St John constantly calling Houllier 'the Frenchman'. It's like Mark Fowler had a nose bleed in my ears.

Ha.  My first thought when I read the thread title was this very thing.  Saint showing every ounce of his bitterness.

Tainted my view of him - and I always loved the man.

Yep.

Along the same lines - I remember straining to get a signal on Red Rose Radio to listen to Alan Beswick.

Didn't like scousers, did he?  Didn't he just put the phone down on anyone with a Liverpool accent?

Didn't like scousers, did he?  Didn't he just put the phone down on anyone with a Liverpool accent?

Aye, that's the one, the fucking dick.

Funny as hell though.

Plus I remember hearing him talk a couple people down from the ledge who were suicidal live on air.

Aye, that's the one, the fucking dick.

Funny as hell though.

Plus I remember hearing him talk a couple people down from the ledge who were suicidal live on air.

That program was funny as fuck.  "Here's Russell on line one" cue some wag scrunching up a crisp packet before putting the phone down.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was listening to Five Live one and I can't remember for the life of me what the topic was, but this Newcastle fan rang up and said that first game of the season one year, he turns up at St James' and sees two empty seats next to him. Doesn't think anything of it until the next game, when the same seats are empty again. Same again for the game after that. He rings the club up asking if he can buy two tickets for those seats as he'd like to take his kids but he's told they've already been paid for. Despite this, they remain empty until the Boxing Day game when a dad and lad take their seats next to him. This fella asks them where the hell they've been all year and the bloke shakes his head exasperated and replies that as a surprise, his wife bought them season tickets in the summer but wrapped them up and stashed them away thinking they'd be a nice Christmas present.

• Upvote 6

Yep.

Along the same lines - I remember straining to get a signal on Red Rose Radio to listen to Alan Beswick.

His was the first late night phone in I listened to. Used to introduce callers with 'Ow do' followed by their name.

I think the not liking Scousers bit was just part of the fun as I remember plenty getting on. His claim was that Liverpool wasn't part of Lancashire and therefore....

He held a vote (probably never) on whether Scousers should be allowed on the show which we supposedly won to which he remarked 'Lancisheeer, yiv let me down'.

Good times.

• Upvote 1

I was listening to Five Live one and I can't remember for the life of me what the topic was, but this Newcastle fan rang up and said that first game of the season one year, he turns up at St James' and sees two empty seats next to him. Doesn't think anything of it until the next game, when the same seats are empty again. Same again for the game after that. He rings the club up asking if he can buy two tickets for those seats as he'd like to take his kids but he's told they've already been paid for. Despite this, they remain empty until the Boxing Day game when a dad and lad take their seats next to him. This fella asks them where the hell they've been all year and the bloke shakes his head exasperated and replies that as a surprise, his wife bought them season tickets in the summer but wrapped them up and stashed them away thinking they'd be a nice Christmas present.

World of a Woman worthy that.