You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Sunderland 2 (Feb 6 2016)

tlw content

Next thing is demand an end to the fucking transfer committee. Let the manager buy the players he wants. I'm sick of this moneyball shite as is every other fucker so let's put it in the ground. 

This.

Walking out on a good football team would be a much more incisive protest at rich cunts ripping rank and file people off... and might even make people feel less ripped off in the first instance by those rich cunts, because at least they're supplying supporters with a better quality over-priced product.

People walked out on over-priced shite last Saturday, which of course is fair enough too.

top post.

No it isn't.

Dave, do you reckon one of the reasons some fans may not have joined in is because they simply didn't know? If you are an OOT'er or abroad, they may not have known about the walkout and wondered what the fuck was going on!

I noticed a whole section of the Kemlyn next to the Annie Road stayed seated, probably the only section without clearly visible seating.

Thomas Cook?  Definitely out of town supporters who were most likely unaware.  However, some of them may have known and elected to stay - more understandable if you've travelled from Norway or Devon or wherever, and it's your once in a lifetime trip.

Mind, I posted on another thread that video of the lad from Dublin who gets to one game a year but still walked out.

"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."  Staying put is your right, but it doesn't make your decision less unpalatable when people all around you are making a personal sacrifice.

I didn’t leave and I do feel a bit like a scab now. Why didn’t I go?

I only read about the price increase a day before the match. I know that everywhere in the world the best tickets on any arena cost a lot more than the ones stuck up in one corner. At Anfield  the prices have been almost the same all over. So when I first read it I just thought it was a necessary change of pricing structure, not a general increase.

Then I read about the 77 min walk-out. Maybe it was more to it than I first thought? I didn’t know. I wondered if I should leave, but I wasn’t even sure I agreed with the protesters. I decided to just wait and see. Then at 75-76 min YNWA was belted out loader and more beautiful than ever, followed by the enough is enough song. At 77 mins the whole stadium was on their feet and it seemed to me everybody was going to leave. So was I. Solidarity isn’t something I’m indifferent about.

I was, however, seated a long way from the exits and watched the game as long as there was this long queue anyway. Then I looked around me and saw a lot of locals, probably with season tickets, sitting down again. Why should I, who can only afford a trip once or twice a year, leave when the locals didn’t ? The end result was I didn’t leave. Now I’m sorry I didn’t.

My point is not to make excuses for myself (allthough that’s exactly what I’m doing isn’t it). My point is I think a lot of people had the same doubts as I had. There was little time to prepare for what was right or wrong. If there’ll be another walk out later, I expect a lot of people who now stayed will then leave. Under the circumstances Saturday 10K leaving was a huge success, Expect 20K next time.

“Football is nothing without supporters” isn’t only a slogan. It’s actually true! I believe John and Tom are intelligent enough to realize that, so maybe there’ll be some reaction from Boston?

Well done to all of you who left. 

• Upvote 3

When I was thinking about how much I'd seen about this before the match, other than the thread on here with the linked article, I had maybe seen a small headline on the guardian football website.

It might be being hypercritical to suggest everyone was as informed as some of those on here, and were opposed to leaving having fully understood the protest. Also there's more daytrippers than I thought if they comprise the three-quarters (?) of the ground who stayed.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't walk out. A mate had mentioned the night before about a planned walk out but I didn't know much more than that so didn't feel comfortable without knowing the detail. Also my daughter was with me and wanted to stay until the end. She's only just got into football so is excited about all things LFC and doesn't really understand the need yet for times when protest is necessary.

I knew at the time though I should have walked. It just felt wrong staying. It's something I regret and in hindsight would have been a valuable lesson for my daughter. I won't make the same mistake again

The front over of the Telegraph sport section and the first four inside pages were full of (very sympathetic) coverage of the walkout this morning, so the protest is having an impact. There was a report that the Football Supporters Federation is going to try to plan some coordinated national action. Arsenal fans have recently prevented the club imposing  a hefty surcharge on tickets for he upcoming game against Barcelona.

• Upvote 1

I'm ashamed to say I didn't walk out. A mate had mentioned the night before about a planned walk out but I didn't know much more than that so didn't feel comfortable without knowing the detail. Also my daughter was with me and wanted to stay until the end. She's only just got into football so is excited about all things LFC and doesn't really understand the need yet for times when protest is necessary.

I knew at the time though I should have walked. It just felt wrong staying. It's something I regret and in hindsight would have been a valuable lesson for my daughter. I won't make the same mistake again

no need to feel ashamed. it was organised at short notice and unless you re on here or other forums or echo website or you seen the snippet in the papers you may not have known.

really that walkout on saturday was the big announcement.

I was proud watching it on the telly from afar. Credit to all those who took a stand. It will lead to change. It has the owners attention and they won't want a bitter fight with the club's own fans, as that is lose-lose. Klopp has got up off his sick bed and said it needs sorting out, and even though he's only been here five minutes, he has the sort of gravitas to help bring unity about.

I don't for one minute expect that match going fans will get everything, but they will get an improved 'deal' to the one in force now. And when it happens we must give credit, first and foremost, to the ones who took direct action.

it only takes ellis short to sell up to the wrong owner and suddenly its london prices in the north east.

the message has to be made clear to every club in the country that it might not be you at the minute but it could be very easily so get something in place now so you cant get fucked over down the line.

They won't charge London prices because they won't sell any tickets. I don't think Sunderland's owner is keeping ticket prices reasonable because he's a nice guy, I think pretty much every team in the league is charging as much as they think they can realistically get away with.

Regarding the second point, you're right but it won't work because most people don't care what's happening to others. Hell, some people won't do anything even when it's happening to them.

Dave, do you reckon one of the reasons some fans may not have joined in is because they simply didn't know? If you are an OOT'er or abroad, they may not have known about the walkout and wondered what the fuck was going on!

You may be right. I think because some of us get so wrapped up in the likes of twitter we assume that everyone else does too and are therefore as well informed as ourselves, when that's not the case as plenty don't bother with social media etc

I didn’t leave and I do feel a bit like a scab now. Why didn’t I go?

I only read about the price increase a day before the match. I know that everywhere in the world the best tickets on any arena cost a lot more than the ones stuck up in one corner. At Anfield  the prices have been almost the same all over. So when I first read it I just thought it was a necessary change of pricing structure, not a general increase.

Then I read about the 77 min walk-out. Maybe it was more to it than I first thought? I didn’t know. I wondered if I should leave, but I wasn’t even sure I agreed with the protesters. I decided to just wait and see. Then at 75-76 min YNWA was belted out loader and more beautiful than ever, followed by the enough is enough song. At 77 mins the whole stadium was on their feet and it seemed to me everybody was going to leave. So was I. Solidarity isn’t something I’m indifferent about.

I was, however, seated a long way from the exits and watched the game as long as there was this long queue anyway. Then I looked around me and saw a lot of locals, probably with season tickets, sitting down again. Why should I, who can only afford a trip once or twice a year, leave when the locals didn’t ? The end result was I didn’t leave. Now I’m sorry I didn’t.

Well done to all of you who left. 

You're not a scab at all mate, and that kind of explanation is exactly why I was asking for people's reasons. I'm sure there were plenty more like yourself, and that's why I reckon if the club doesn't act and another walk out takes place, it'll be double the amount next time.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't walk out. A mate had mentioned the night before about a planned walk out but I didn't know much more than that so didn't feel comfortable without knowing the detail. Also my daughter was with me and wanted to stay until the end. She's only just got into football so is excited about all things LFC and doesn't really understand the need yet for times when protest is necessary.

I knew at the time though I should have walked. It just felt wrong staying. It's something I regret and in hindsight would have been a valuable lesson for my daughter. I won't make the same mistake again

Again, that's understandable. Given the way the club tried to spin it, unless people had actually read up on it properly I can see why maybe they didn't fully get it. For example, the headline on the club site when they announced it was all about the £9 tickets and free access to kids, even though that's only a miniscule amount of tickets overall.

Bit rich then that they complained about us focusing on the £77 ones because they are only a tiny percentage. Unless you've read up on it all though I suppose it's easy to not realise the full extent of their greed.

I think loads who didn't walk now wish they did. Hopefully there won't be any need to do it again, but if there is then the response will be even greater.

• Upvote 2