You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Ballache 2016

Bjornebye

Or course I would, but a larger sample size matching that kind of player of the season form puts him above £40m and certainly above us. I'd argue he's already beyond us as he'll be looking for guaranteed CL football, hence why £40m on him is something I'd consider entirely different to £40m on Mané, who is well within our reach and probably won't get a better side chasing him.

The point was not what I'd like to see though, I was replying to your confusion as to why someone would be more willing to spend an equally excessive amount on a better player who'd won things.

I'm just trying to stay ahead of the thinking (generally not you specifically)

Mane has had more production over the last two seasons but hasn't won anything and thats bad while Mahrez had the better one off season and won something and thats good, danny drinkwater had an excellent season and won something but thats bad, Kovacic had an ok season but didn't win anything and that good.

Now I'm not advocating signing Mane or Drinkwater (or Mahrez or Kovacic for that matter) but It's all just a little bit muddled what is and isn't acceptable.

We had supporters try to justify Balotelli's signing ( I was one of the stupid cunts who did) so I wouldn't be surprised if Townsend has his fans. 

Well looking at it purely financially/objectively, £10.5m for a player who was on the cusp of the England squad...  If Sterling costs £50m it's a fair price.   He was certainly in better form than Sterling at the end of the season.  Sterling was dropped, Townsend came close to saving the Toon on his own.  What I'm saying is we must sign him. Welcome, Andros.  

• Upvote 1

Andross Townsend is fucking shit though I'd rather us waste £10.5m on him than £40m on Mane. At least we'd get our money back on Townsend when we inevitably decide to cut our losses on either of them.

Andros Townsend ?? Fucking hell, I'm jumping aboard Nighcat's pirate ship and setting sail for Boston.

If you're looking for it, it's the carefully arranged collection of cardboard boxes in his mum's cellar in Glasgow.