You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Ballache 2016

Bjornebye

You've just made that up. Nowhere in my post did I call Joe Allen "a very good footballer". Please start reading posts more carefully, you're already a pain to respond too as it is.

And of course you didn't address the main point which is that Allen is clearly better than Hendrick. Textbook aRdja.

Errr... The main point was me not being convinced by Zielinski. You brought Hendrick into the discussion. There are loads of better midfielders than Allen and Henderson that I don't want us to buy e.g., McCarthy, Noble, Wilshere, Dier, Ki, Drinkwater, etc.

We're talking degrees of over-priced here though; Mahrez - even at an inflated price -could at least have some level of sanity argued, being player of the season and getting goals and assists by the boat load. Mané at £40m would just be us keeping our Friends of Southampton Benevolence Fund rolling.

Both would be over-priced at £40m, but I think there's a world of difference between them.

You wouldn't want to see a larger sample size in what can be considered a freak of a season?

Hopefully next season with Flanno, Clyne and Gomez both able to play right or left bac...no, no I can't be bothered. Moreno should be dropped into the Mariana Trench.

Need to dig it deeper otherwise he'll just resurface.

You wouldn't want to see a larger sample size in what can be considered a freak of a season?

Or course I would, but a larger sample size matching that kind of player of the season form puts him above £40m and certainly above us. I'd argue he's already beyond us as he'll be looking for guaranteed CL football, hence why £40m on him is something I'd consider entirely different to £40m on Mané, who is well within our reach and probably won't get a better side chasing him.

The point was not what I'd like to see though, I was replying to your confusion as to why someone would be more willing to spend an equally excessive amount on a better player who'd won things.

One was player of the year and universally heralded, the other was just a reasonable talent.

Spot on. It beggars belief our faith in no marks.

The Telegraph is linking us with Andros Townsend if we can't get Mane. No,really.

I'm hoping the telegraph knows as much as the lad cooking my kebab at the moment. Andros Townsend? Seriously, I've played with lads better than him. I'm likely to shit out a better player in the morning.

If we sign and is Townsend, I think it's time to throw in the towel

Mane isn't even much better than Townsend.

I'm hoping there's a lot of fresh names linked after the Euro's cause it's been piss poor so far other than Karius.

Probably shows just how low the club is standing right now in European football.  Rodgers set the club back years

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ibe to West Ham? Nailed on to go on to be amazing once he leaves. Can't say at this moment in time I'd be too upset because he's stagnanted here for some reason I honestly thought he'd go on to be much better than Sterling because they had similar ability but Ibe was bigger, stronger and can actually kick a ball pretty hard. We should include a buy back on him for certain or we could swap him back in 3 years and give the Townsend. The Townsend link has to be a joke surely? Or the journalists have no idea who we really want so plucking names out of the sky putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5.

The Mirror says we're swooping.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-planning-andros-townsend-transfer-8237792

Liverpool are ready to make a move for Newcastle’s England winger Andros Townsend.

Townsend, 24, has a £10.5m buy-out clause in his contract and Newcastle face a major battle to keep him after being relegated to the Championship.

Liverpool have joined the growing list of Premier League clubs who have shown an interest in the England international.

Manchester City are another big gun watching developments while Crystal Palace, Southampton and West Ham have all registered serious interest.

Townsend would represent good value for Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp wants to bring in more pace to his attack at Anfield.

Rather like with City, if Liverpool cannot get one of their bigger more expensive targets then they will look towards Townsend.  As a result, Townsend is likely to bide his time on his future after becoming aware of big clubs being keen on him.

That may mean potential deals drag on as Newcastle are desperate to keep him - but fear they could be fighting a losing battle.

Jesus, imagine Townsend actually choose to go a bigger club in City.

There's a real lack of quality in world football at the minute but even a team that's just finished 8th should be doing better than him.   He makes Ryan Babel look intelligent.