You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Ballache 2016

Bjornebye

If he's going to play in a midfield 2, then I think this is a very valid point.  Klopp tried and tried to get us into a 4-2-3-1 that counterattacked last season, only we didn't have the pace out wide or the dynamism/athleticism in midfield to make it work.  And one of the big failings was goals, we were very short of them with only 50 league goals.  Another 5 goals from midfield would go a long way to fixing that problem.

The real issue is that I don't think Wijnaldum is going to be playing in a midfield 2.  I think he's more of a squad option in any of the 3 positions behind the striker.  And I can't understand why we're spending 20-25m on him if that's the case - we already have Lallana for that, and even if he's an upgrade on Ojo or Markovic behind him, it's not that big of an upgrade.

That money would be MUCH better spent on a player to be first choice in that midfield 2 alongside Can (or Henderson on occasion).  I don't have a problem with adding Wijnaldum and his goals to our midfield, but I do have a problem with it if it means an opportunity cost that means we can't add a Goretzka or a Dahoud.  The dropoff from Dahoud to Henderson in terms of league points is a bigger one than the dropoff from Wijnaldum to Lallana/Ojo, in other words.

I think our interest in Wijnaldum actually means that we might play 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 more often, probably when we play away from home. There is no way we are spending that kind of money just for him to be a backup attacking midfielder or to play alongside Can, as he is completely unsuited to a two-man midfield. He'll probably be the furthest midfielder forward ahead of Henderson and Can and will look to lead counter-attacks with his pace and dribbling.

My hope is that we are not buying Wijnaldum for the things he did at Newcastle, because as an attacking midfielder he is a level below Firmino and Coutinho. If we do sign him, I really hope it's to revert him back into a central midfielder, a position he really excelled in at PSV.

I agree we should be looking to find Can a partner but I think this signing now shows that it might be Dahoud or nobody for Klopp and that our failure to get him this summer means he is going in a different direction in the short term.

Not going to pretend I've seen him play (because why the fuck would any Liverpool fan be watching Borussia Monchengladbach games last season?) but the impression I get from reading up on Dahoud is that he's a highly promising youngster with a lot of growing still to do, who probably isn't ready for a big move yet. That doesn't exactly line up with the views our fans put forward of this absolute world beater who will walk into our team and instantly transform the midfield.

If people on here still have reservations about Emre Can, who just started in midfield for Germany in a Euros semi final, is a regular in their squad and was captaining the U21's before that, where does all the faith in a young lad who is only just breaking into their U21 side come from?

Agreed, most of our fans seem to think Dahoud will come in & sort the mess that is our Midfield out. I think most of these fans play Footy Manager too much as he's an absolute beast & turns into one of the best in the game. Was listening to a footy podcast a few days back, can't remember which one, and they had a German footy 'expert' on. He was saying it's all potential with Dahoud & he's not at all ready for a big move to us just yet. Give him a few games in our Mid & our fans would destroy him, we're far too impatient.

Not going to pretend I've seen him play (because why the fuck would any Liverpool fan be watching Borussia Monchengladbach games last season?) but the impression I get from reading up on Dahoud is that he's a highly promising youngster with a lot of growing still to do, who probably isn't ready for a big move yet. That doesn't exactly line up with the views our fans put forward of this absolute world beater who will walk into our team and instantly transform the midfield.

If people on here still have reservations about Emre Can, who just started in midfield for Germany in a Euros semi final, is a regular in their squad and was captaining the U21's before that, where does all the faith in a young lad who is only just breaking into their U21 side come from?

Nah, Dahoud would have been ready to come in and run our midfield now, that's the point. He's was only 19 last season and he was already bossing games in midfield for a Champions League club and he has the kind of ability on the ball that could make him a 50m+ pound player in a few years. Of course he still has some growing up to do, but some of his performances last season was to such a standard at such a young age, that people were getting rightly very excited about the possibility we might sign him.

Klopp has lied to fans. Now covering his arse for 7m a yr. Not a yes man though obviously #lfc

Got that of Twitter and that's what you basically said without critisicing Klopp.If anyone believes Klopp is signing the players he is because of FSG then he is a bigger yes man than Rodgers ever was.

Ah, of course, Twatter.  Well known for its 100% verifiable authenticity on everything under the sun. 

• Upvote 1

There is always the chance that all of the people that have reservations about Can might not be exactly the same people that see Dahoud as the saviour. 

• Upvote 1

Klopp has lied to fans. Now covering his arse for 7m a yr. Not a yes man though obviously #lfc

Got that of Twitter and that's what you basically said without critisicing Klopp.If anyone believes Klopp is signing the players he is because of FSG then he is a bigger yes man than Rodgers ever was.

If you say I said so, then who am I to contradict such a noted stickler for accuracy and reality.

• Upvote 1

JP's getting fussy about managers lying to fans all of a sudden?  His heroes are obviously excepted from his wrath. 

A friend of mine sitting next to Brendan on a plane asked him why he brought Balotelli to the club.   Brendan said "I didn't".

And don't get me going on Jackanory Benitez.

The main problem with Can is his weight. He has every skill you'd need as a central midfielder but he really struggles to run unless he's on the ball and can use his strength. A lot of similarities to an aging Yaya Toure. If he lost a stone and a half he'd be dynamite.

• Upvote 1

The main problem with Can is his weight. He has every skill you'd need as a central midfielder but he really struggles to run unless he's on the ball and can use his strength. A lot of similarities to an aging Yaya Toure. If he lost a stone and a half he'd be dynamite.

And easier to push off the ball... Catch 22...

Just read on the echo we are interested in Gary Medel for 12ml. Wouldn't mind that horrible little fucker in the midfield. Also Leicester linked with Robbie Brady so maybe we can get Chilwell

This is a new name cropping up.

Chilean newspaper Triunfo - translated as Triumph, fact fans - are claiming Jurgen Klopp wants to bring Gary Medel to Anfield.

The tenacious midfielder, now at Inter Milan, was a big part of his country’s second successive Copa America victory this summer - and the report suggests that is where he caught Klopp’s eye.

Medel has played in the Premier League for Cardiff City already, of course, and this story is claiming he would cost £12m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmZFvBPporE

Video of Wijnaldum playing in a midfield two next to Shelvey. Still think it means we will now play with a midfield three, but I guess there is a small possibility he could also play next to Can.

He would certainly add a bit of pace to the middle of the pitch. Cant remember the ladt midfielder other than Stevie to regularly get aheadcof the forwards