You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Ballache 2016

Bjornebye

Even before the whole Spurs link emerged, I wasn't altogether fussed about singing Gotze. The main reason is that I thought we needed a different type behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1. With Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana already here, we were crying out for some pace and athleticism to vary it up a bit. Mane offers that. 

Had Gotze come here I'd have been happy enough, because even though he's lost his way at Bayern, there's still a good player in there. Klopp would have been well placed to bring him back to his former level. So had we signed him, I'd have been fine with it... but with that said, I never once thought that he was the one we needed. 

We're doing well so far this summer. We've improved at goalkeeper, central defence and on the wing. We should have three go straight into the first eleven there, with more business to come. 

I hope the press make a big deal out of Ferguson letting Pogba go for nothing. He wouldn't give him a modest wage bump, even though the player was clearly on the way to a very good level. 

Ferguson ruled that club with an iron fist, and mostly it was justified. In this instance, however, his pride will end up costing the club a 100M transfer fee, when the player was already there.

I hope the press get stuck in and make something out of this. 

• Upvote 2

I hope the press make a big deal out of Ferguson letting Pogba go for nothing. He wouldn't give him a modest wage bump, even though the player was clearly on the way to a very good level.

Ferguson ruled that club with an iron fist, and mostly it was justified. In this instance, however, his pride will end up costing the club a 100M transfer fee, when the player was already there.

I hope the press get stuck in and make something out of this.

Quiet as a mouse about it so far. Mental really, the fucker wasted £100m.

Am I right in thinking there's still over 50 days of the transfer window remaining?

Gotze, fucks sake, not going to lose sleep over him. There's a reason he isn't wanted by Bayern, why he didn't start many games for Germany, and why Barca and Madrid or Ateltico aren't interested in the lad. He's a gamble, lots of unfulfilled promise and seemingly Bayern have run out of patience.

Klopp isn't going to give anything away to the press right now, so don't believe anything.

Standard bullcrap retort. 

Klopp took us to two finals in his first 8 months at the club. Saying he has an "almost impossible task to turn us around" is nonsense when he came a win away from already getting us back in the Champions League last season.

No need, even if you are right.

• Upvote 1

The success rate of players moving from Serie A to the top 3 leagues in recent years has been  absolutely appalling. Long may it continue.

Mainly Italian players though (Immobile, Giaccherini, Darmian, Cerci, Balo, Borini, Aquilani). Nothing wrong with the record of foreign players leaving Serie A (Coutinho, Ibra, Tiago Silva, Vidal, Rami, Coman, Cavani, Marquinhos).

Standard bullcrap retort.

Klopp took us to two finals in his first 8 months at the club. Saying he has an "almost impossible task to turn us around" is nonsense when he came a win away from already getting us back in the Champions League last season.

We finished 8th. While cup runs are fun, this club has always measured itself on league performances. Talking up losing finals is below even spurs levels, at least they talk up their winning of them like they actually mean something. If klopp has his mates turning him down for spurs, we are in a terrible place.

• Upvote 1

We finished 8th. While cup runs are fun, this club has always measured itself on league performances. Talking up losing finals is below even spurs levels, at least they talk up their winning of them like they actually mean something. If klopp has his mates turning him down for spurs, we are in a terrible place.

We absolutely must have a few years, on the trot, in the Champions League.  We're sorely in need of it.. Gib everything off and try to win the league is my theory.

Meh. I can't say I was hugely excited when it looked like we may get Goetze, and I'm not crushed he's going elsewhere now. I liked the idea of having a bit of draw to decent players but I always figured he might be Coutinho's replacement if anything.

The worry for me is not the player himself. He was klopp's number 1 target when the season finished. Missing out for him to sit on bayern's bench at best, when they were actively booting him out the door, is one thing. If we lose him to spurs while his mate manages us, we have real problems.
  • Upvote 1

We absolutely must have a few years, on the trot, in the Champions League. We're sorely in need of it.. Gib everything off and try to win the league is my theory.

Spurs haven't though have they? Man United are signing them up after missing out 2 in the last 3. I think we're seen now as a club that doesn't want to compete, is happy to develop players and make a profit. That will suit some players, but you end up shopping with the markovic's of this world who might do 2 good years and fuck off at best, or lumps like benteke that no other top club would go near with a barge pole. Klopp has effectively got to go and build a side by buying complete no marks, as years of cutting wages and working for a good balance sheet as opposed a good trophy cabinet, has left us as a nothing club to anyone outside those who support us. We've been transformed into Everton and it's like nobody can see it.
  • Upvote 2