You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Exeter City 0

tlw content

exeterreport2.jpg

We’re in the next round, kept a clean sheet, scored three goals, had some positive contributions from the youngsters, and oh yeah, FLANNO’S BACK!! So all in all, this was a successful night's work. 

Klopp went with a slightly more experienced side than last time, mainly because Allen and Ibe didn’t start last weekend, and it paid off as Allen scored and Ibe was the best player on the park. Benteke played again too, but I’ll get to him in a bit. He didn't have the captain's armband this time though, bizarrely it was given to Enrique. I'd be a bit put out if I were Mignolet or Allen I reckon. Maybe it's because this was likely to be Enrique's Anfield swansong? It's not particularly important, I just found it odd that's all.

The 3-0 scoreline didn’t really reflect the performance as it should have been double that on the balance of play and chances created. Exeter had their chance in the first game and they never had a hope in hell of winning this one, not unless Klopp sent the first team out there anyway in which case anything could have happened. Thankfully he didn't and the second string got it done wit the minimum of fuss.

Most of the kids who played in the first game kept their places, with only Sinclair and Kent dropping to the bench. Sinclair was lucky to even be there, I’d have released him as soon as he hired Aidy Ward and personally I’m glad he didn’t get another chance to play in this one as he doesn’t deserve it. I was hoping Ojo may have gotten a start though, but that’s surely not far away now after what he’s done off the bench in these two games. 

Exeter left out their leading scorer in favour of our old mate Clinton, who was so ineffective he made Enrique and Ilori look like Jocky and Lawro. In fact Jocky and Lawro even now could have probably kept a clean sheet in this one. Enrique and Tiago had the cigars out from start to finish and Mignolet may as well have been sat in the Kop as he barely touched the ball all night. Then again, the Kop is probably the last place he’d want to be at the moment, news of his contract extension hasn’t exactly been met with universal approval.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

"Even if we don’t see him back at 100% until next season that’s fine, it’s just great to have him back as we’ve missed him."

Next season he may not even be here. I think it's worrying that the club doesnt seem to be able to agree deals with neither Flanagan or Rossiter. Both entering their final 6 months on current deals. These players are not only valuable members of the squad, they are local lads as well.

Rossiter not being able to agree a deal is very discomforting. Just 18 year old and Liverpool through and through. His signature should be the easiest to get, unless he's being adviced by an Aidy Ward like greedy cunt. He'll probably sign, but it's amateurish of the club getting themselves into this position.

I agree with your take on Benteke as well. Although he didnt set the world on fire, it was a decent effort. He certainly didnt deserve the shit he was getting on twitter etc. 

"Even if we don’t see him back at 100% until next season that’s fine, it’s just great to have him back as we’ve missed him."

Next season he may not even be here. I think it's worrying that the club doesnt seem to be able to agree deals with neither Flanagan or Rossiter. Both entering their final 6 months on current deals. These players are not only valuable members of the squad, they are local lads as well.

Think the 12 month extension agreed with Flanno end of last season was done so bearing in mind he was recovering from a serious injury, so naturally it makes sense to not commit to anything longer term to see how he shapes up re his recovery.

Flanno can blame Sturridge for such a short extension as the club probably learnt a lesson there.

Think the 12 month extension agreed with Flanno end of last season was done so bearing in mind he was recovering from a serious injury, so naturally it makes sense to not commit to anything longer term to see how he shapes up re his recovery.

Flanno can blame Sturridge for such a short extension as the club probably learnt a lesson there.

Fair enough... But why havent we tied down Rossiter? Two local lads we may risk losing for nothing If they decide to try their luck abroad... Still think it's unacceptable to put ourself in this position, even if they both end up signing new deals.

Fair enough... But why havent we tied down Rossiter? Two local lads we may risk losing for nothing If they decide to try their luck abroad... Still think it's unacceptable to put ourself in this position, even if they both end up signing new deals.

Rossiter is the new Jay Spearing - just don't see him making it.

Funny how people see the game differently isn't it. I thought Ibe was really poor. I was impressed with Stewart, won some good tackles and positioned himself well around the pitch to sniff out danger. I like the look of that brannagan too, he had a confidence and balance to him that looked promising

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Funny how people see the game differently isn't it. I thought Ibe was really poor. I was impressed with Stewart, won some good tackles and positioned himself well around the pitch to sniff out danger. I like the look of that brannagan too, he had a confidence and balance to him that looked promising

I thought Stewart was fantastic. Over both legs he looked very good. Brannagan looks like Rush. Every time I see his face, he reminds me of younger Rush.

I too thought Ibe was poor. Things really slowed down when he got the ball and his MO seemed to be run as close as possible to the defender when he had ball, try and control the ball while trying to get around the defender , over hit, mis control or get stuck and repeat.

Would have nice to see Kent on for a bit.

Flano's first (or at least one his first passes) to Benteke's feet was nice to see.