You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flower of Scotland/ Burns Day

Nunavut Patrick

o3xG7gm.jpg

Tae A Domino’s

Fair fa’ yir cheesy, meaty face,

Authentic thin an’ crispy base,

Yir spicy pepperoni

Leaves ma mooth in awe;

Fur Domino’s a make ma case:

Thir pizza’s braw.

Ma belly’s growlin’ like a beast

Until a get ma Chicken Feast;

A rush ti make ma order

Fae the choice oanline.

Teen meenits more, it’s at the door:

The pizza’s mine.

Fur when a hear that wee bell ring,

A jist wahnt ti dance an’ sing,

A cannae wait ti git ma scran,

Sit doon an’ eat it;

Pipin’ hoat an’ freshly made,

Yi canny beat it.

As much as I adore ma meat,

Thir Veg Supreme goes doon a treat;

Delicious an’ delivered fresh

Withoot delay.

Its tasty gidness helps me get

Ma 5-a-day.

Wi 60 Scottish stores alone

Oor Domino’s has grown an’ grown,

Oanline, in store or oan the phone,

Thir heavy gid;

Amazin’ service, tons of fun

An’ smashin’ fid.

They’ve also launched a smert invention,

The ultimate in stain prevention,

Thir wipe-clean pizza onesie

Is the height of fashion;

Wi pockets fur yir dips an’ drinks,

It’s bloomin’ smashin’.

Och Domino’s, yir jist unreal,

Ah’d eat yir fid fur every meal;

Yir endless choice of pizzas fills

Ma hert wi glee,

An’ every Tuesday a can even

Get wan free.

An’ so, ti sum up aw ma praise

Fur Domino’s an’ aw the ways

They’ve led a revolutionary

Pizza craze:

Ah’ll love thir smashin’, belter pizzas

Aw ma days.

• Upvote 3

Order a sausage dinner up here and the sausages come battered. You have to ask for an unbattered sausage.

None of the chippies up here sell Chinese food like they do in Liverpool.

I've always preferred traditional English chippies to Chinese ones. Sadly, they are few and far between, nowadays.

Order a sausage dinner up here and the sausages come battered. You have to ask for an unbattered sausage.

None of the chippies up here sell Chinese food like they do in Liverpool.

Just ask for a smoked sausage supper & it won't be battered.

Having said that you are in the weeg & fucking anything can happen across there.

Just ask for a smoked sausage supper & it won't be battered.

Having said that you are in the weeg & fucking anything can happen across there.

Last time I was in Glasgow I got a Scotch pie from the chippy. I didn't specify "don't drop it in the fat" for the same reason I didn't say "don't kick it around the floor" or "don't rub it up and down your arse-crack". What kind of filthy fucking animal would chuck a pie in the chip fat?

I could only eat half of it. If you knew me, you'd have an idea of desperate things must have become for me to throw half a pie away.

• Upvote 1

Last time I was in Glasgow I got a Scotch pie from the chippy. I didn't specify "don't drop it in the fat" for the same reason I didn't say "don't kick it around the floor" or "don't rub it up and down your arse-crack". What kind of filthy fucking animal would chuck a pie in the chip fat?

I could only eat half of it. If you knew me, you'd have an idea of desperate things must have become for me to throw half a pie away.

Deep frying a Scotch pie is fucking demented.

Now that I am further south its not such a big event for me; I have a 1.5kg haggis in the freezer so it's a bit much for just me and my lad. It was a big social event in Nunavut and the Inuit loved haggis.

I was over to visit my sister just recently and when I got back yesterday my lad had finished off one of my single mats (Auchentoshan) so he is lucky from my last trip I have a Glenmorangie Bacalta. Reckon I will pop the wee beastie in the oven and make some neeps and tatties on Saturday.

I love haggis.

Under no circumstances should a malt whisky be put in the oven.

A public service announcement from the NNSW pedants society.

Can't get a decent black pudding here, let alone a haggis.

• Upvote 1

Scottish chippies are bad. They try and do too much and it all sits in the warmer for hours. The best chippies were the ones from my Lancastrian youth that only served fish, pies and sausage. Fish had to be ordered on arrival and was then cooked from fresh. Peas and gravy were available as well of course, that goes without saying.

Like Tony, I'm not massively keen on Chinese chippies.

• Upvote 2

Chippy food that has been kept in a warmer is rubbish. I always ask for everything to be freshly cooked.

There is a chain of chippies in scotland called ‘Blue Lagoon’ which are terrible for it but the one at the end of my road cook nearly everything to order and it’s fucking lovely. The ones in town are awful but always full of pissed up fuckers who don’t know any better.

Lovely little Italian couple who run the one by me who always throw in a jar of cockles for nothing because they know I love them.

• Upvote 2

Scottish chippies are bad. They try and do too much and it all sits in the warmer for hours. The best chippies were the ones from my Lancastrian youth that only served fish, pies and sausage. Fish had to be ordered on arrival and was then cooked from fresh. Peas and gravy were available as well of course, that goes without saying.

Like Tony, I'm not massively keen on Chinese chippies.

There was a chippy in Lancaster just a street behind where my son used to live and it served the best fish and chips I've ever tasted. It won awards and rightly so. Only opened for a few hours a day and just served your traditional chippy menu such as fish,chips,pies,gravy,curry,etc.

There are some good chippies in Scotland, usually the ones by the sea at places like Eyemouth & Anstruther.

The majority of them are shite though, I eat about two chippies a year & the only thing I would have battered is the fish, deep frying mars bars & Scotch pies is absolutely ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

They’ve always done that in Liverpool though. ‘Throw us a pie in the fat, love’ was commonly heard in the chip shops of L4.

It's not exactly expensive at full price

Macsween haggis (M&S brand are made by these) can be a decent amount cheaper after Burns Night, I could insist they increase the price or I could buy cheap shit brands but I prefer cheaper price for top brand sheeps lungs. The dirty bastards. 

hqdefault.jpg

Oh and I buy about 10 of the largest I can buy. Cut them and vacuum seal. Love a bit haggis. 

Every now and then I make a bit of gravy and pour it on, not that I like it that way but I can imagine Burns himself spinning is his grave. 

There are some good chippies in Scotland, usually the ones by the sea at places like Eyemouth & Anstruther.

The majority of them are shite though, I eat about two chippies a year & the only thing I would have battered is the fish, deep frying mars bars & Scotch pies is absolutely ridiculous.

There used to be a really good one in Inverbervie, on the east coast a few miles south of Aberdeen.  We used to make a point of stopping there for a damned good nosebag on the way up for our yearly family holiday.  The portions were fucking huge too.  Been a few years since I was up that way though, fucking long drive "fer a poke ay chips".

• 11 months later...