You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flower of Scotland/ Burns Day

Nunavut Patrick

I feel I have to stick up for Scottish chippies here a bit, first of all, if you want Chinese food, go to a Chinese take away, don't expect the pizzas to be flown over fresh from Sicily on Roberto Baggio's arse, you can't eat mushy peas with your hands when you're walking down the street pished so why would they sell them? How many types of fish do you need to go with your chips? Haddock is fine as far as I'm concerned, if I wanted sea bass, I would go to a fishmonger or a nice restaurant.

Also, unlike Chinese food or peas, you can't get a haggis supper with salt & sauce anywhere else in the World other than in a Scottish chippy, anybody got a problem with that & they can bolt, ken?

Do you they not have chip forks in Scottish chippies?

Fish and chips and sausage and chips are turd without peas.

I'm not really into Chinese chippies, never have been. I much prefer traditional English chippies - the kind my grandparents would have gone to as kids.

Fish and chips > rice, salt and pepper muck, etc.

A choice of fish - cod, haddock, plaice, etc. - is always nice.

Sadly, there seems to be very few good quality traditional chippies left.

Can't fucking wait. Got my haggis ready, going to nip by the pub for a quick single malt then home for another and some haggis with neeps and tatties.

Best part is there will be leftovers for a fry up on the weekend

It may be some 300 years since my dad's side actually resided in Scotland... But I can just go down the pub and start saying what a shithole Leith is and Begbie is my hero

• Upvote 2

Middle class English people acting a bit Scottish

25-01-16

ENGLISH Guardian readers are pretending to like Scottish culture, food and drinking habits.

Burns Night has become a firm fixture for comfortably-off English people who want to patronisingly dip their toes into the carb-heavy rawness of Scottish life.

West London architect Joanna Kramer said: “My partner Ben and I will be having a ‘wee’ supper for Burns Night. It’s going to be ‘bonny’.

“Everyone will have a little mouthful of my Waitrose organic haggis, declare it ‘interesting’ and leave the rest.

“I’ll read out some Burns verses in a slightly ironic Scottish accent and then we’ll get stuck into the whisky. I’ve managed to source alcohol-free whisky from the internet because we’re actually doing Dry January.

“Also there will be Irn Bru, or at least an Irn Bru-style homemade orange cordial.”

Kramer explained how she felt a particular affinity with Burns Night because she’s an eighth Scottish and her partner is two-fifths working class.

She said: “Burns Night is a chance to show solidarity with the indigenous tribes of the Highlands, who are so often marginalised by the mainstream media.

“For a special after-dinner treat I’ve got a ‘wee’ bag of heroin.”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/middle-class-english-people-acting-a-bit-scottish-20160125105612

Middle class English people acting a bit Scottish

25-01-16

ENGLISH Guardian readers are pretending to like Scottish culture, food and drinking habits.

Burns Night has become a firm fixture for comfortably-off English people who want to patronisingly dip their toes into the carb-heavy rawness of Scottish life.

West London architect Joanna Kramer said: “My partner Ben and I will be having a ‘wee’ supper for Burns Night. It’s going to be ‘bonny’.

“Everyone will have a little mouthful of my Waitrose organic haggis, declare it ‘interesting’ and leave the rest.

“I’ll read out some Burns verses in a slightly ironic Scottish accent and then we’ll get stuck into the whisky. I’ve managed to source alcohol-free whisky from the internet because we’re actually doing Dry January.

“Also there will be Irn Bru, or at least an Irn Bru-style homemade orange cordial.”

Kramer explained how she felt a particular affinity with Burns Night because she’s an eighth Scottish and her partner is two-fifths working class.

She said: “Burns Night is a chance to show solidarity with the indigenous tribes of the Highlands, who are so often marginalised by the mainstream media.

“For a special after-dinner treat I’ve got a ‘wee’ bag of heroin.”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/middle-class-english-people-acting-a-bit-scottish-20160125105612

That's not very accurate as all the proper middle class folk are off up the alps pretending to like Skiing at the moment.

• 11 months later...

Hey, NP, what news of your Burns Night celebrations?

In honour of Burns Day/Night I'm making Cullen Skink for my lunch/dinner.

I'm also going to friends for haggis tomorrow night. I was all excited until she suggested I bring a poem with me. As it turns out there won't be any Scots there so I may get away with it

Hey, NP, what news of your Burns Night celebrations?

In honour of Burns Day/Night I'm making Cullen Skink for my lunch/dinner.

I'm also going to friends for haggis tomorrow night. I was all excited until she suggested I bring a poem with me. As it turns out there won't be any Scots there so I may get away with it

Now that I am further south its not such a big event for me; I have a 1.5kg haggis in the freezer so it's a bit much for just me and my lad. It was a big social event in Nunavut and the Inuit loved haggis.

I was over to visit my sister just recently and when I got back yesterday my lad had finished off one of my single mats (Auchentoshan) so he is lucky from my last trip I have a Glenmorangie Bacalta. Reckon I will pop the wee beastie in the oven and make some neeps and tatties on Saturday.

I love haggis.

• Upvote 1