You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reds reject enquiry for midfielder

tlw content

The Reds have reportedly dismissed an enquiry from Swansea City to take their former midfielder Joe Allen back to the Liberty Stadium.

Having sold ex-Red Jonjo Shelvey to Newcastle last week for a fee approaching £12m, the Swans were hoping to secure a deal to take the 25 year old Welshman back to the club where he began his career but they have been rebuffed by Jurgen Klopp.

With his team still competing on four fronts and games coming thick and fast, the German is reluctant to allow anybody to leave in this transfer window, but may be more receptive to a deal at the end of the season for a player who has not been a regular and has made just one Premier League start since Klopp replaced Brendan Rodgers.

Allen has been in good form of late, following up a man of the match display at Stoke in the Capital One Cup by coming off the bench to score a last minute equaliser against Arsenal at Anfield a week ago, but he appears to be fighting a losing battle to win over Klopp and is currently behind Lucas, Emre Can, Jordan Henderson and James Milner for a place in midfield.

Tentative talks over a new contract appear to have been shelved since the arrival of Klopp and Allen recently spoke of the uncertainty he is feeling over his Anfield future.

“That is something which has gone very quiet.” he said of the contract talks. “I am not too sure really. I have made only one league start this season and I want to play more, I think that is obvious for any player in that situation."

“From my point of view it is about knuckling down, doing my job and giving my best, which I always do.”

Allen’s transfer value is probably at it’s highest now as come the summer he will have just one year left on his deal, but Klopp has to weigh that up against the possibility of being left short should any of his first choice midfield players require resting or pick up an injury.

Click here to view the article

Should have bitten their arm off...

Start the clear out now and Allen is deffo one of the many who shouldn't have a future here.

We will end up getting much less as well by selling in the summer and after all the bread we have set fire to we should be looking to maximise what we can get for our huge pile of unwanted shite.

• Upvote 1

Allens treatment has been concerning not only because he is an excellent player who should be starting, it shows Klopp is not interested in playing a midfield that likes to keep possession.

Allen has been very good everytime he has featured under Klopp except against Newcastle where the midfield was overrun with Lucas playing shit next to him, even his haters have been giving him credit.

He should go now is Klopp is going to carry on wasting him on the bench, he'll get freedom at Swansea to attack and we'll get to see him dribbling around can and hendo and leaving them on their arses next season when he is bossing the midfield.

• Downvote 2

Shelvey is an idiot. He has the same sort of balls that dogs who chase after cars display.

He is but he's a player who can turn on a bit of magic and guile every now and again which we're lacking, who you bringing off the bench last Sunday to win you the match Shelvey or Allen?? You never know what Klopp would be able to do with a player like that. Anyway that ship has now well and truly now sailed....

He is but he's a player who can turn on a bit of magic and guile every now and again which we're lacking, who you bringing off the bench last Sunday to win you the match Shelvey or Allen?? You never know what Klopp would be able to do with a player like that. Anyway that ship has now well and truly now sailed....

Klopp wouldn't like him, as he is slow and lazy.  

Allens treatment has been concerning not only because he is an excellent player who should be starting, it shows Klopp is not interested in playing a midfield that likes to keep possession.

Allen has been very good everytime he has featured under Klopp except against Newcastle where the midfield was overrun with Lucas playing shit next to him, even his haters have been giving him credit.

He should go now is Klopp is going to carry on wasting him on the bench, he'll get freedom at Swansea to attack and we'll get to see him dribbling around can and hendo and leaving them on their arses next season when he is bossing the midfield.

That's why he's being pursued by Swansea a bottom 4 team and not any of the top 4 teams because he's not very good.

Call me crazy but I reckon we could probably replace a decent squad player who hardly plays anyway and doesn't score or assist, maybe at a profit, in January.

You're crazy. This is us we're talking about.

With a year to scout and £70m to find a striker we ended up with Balotelli. As much as I think Allen should be moved on, given the limited time and our success rate we'd end up with a wheelie bin with a face drawn on it for double the price.

How many goals have we scored from CM this season? There was four of them on the pitch on Sunday who only came close once I can recall in over 90mins of football, at least Shelvey will have a go.

He has scored one goal this season and three last. Hardly the answer to that problem.

Translation: Swansea made a lowball offer and Klopp told them to fuck off. He doesn't seem to rate Allen very much but won't go for little.

Sums it up.

I'd be happy to see him replaced by someone better, but you'd imagine at his age (and with his passport) we should still be able to get over 10m for him.  Hell, if Shelvey is going for 12m then Allen might be worth 20m!

• Upvote 1

Sums it up.

I'd be happy to see him replaced by someone better, but you'd imagine at his age (and with his passport) we should still be able to get over 10m for him.  Hell, if Shelvey is going for 12m then Allen might be worth 20m!

His height will go against us getting 20 million.

How many goals have we scored from CM this season? There was four of them on the pitch on Sunday who only came close once I can recall in over 90mins of football, at least Shelvey will have a go.

He's absolutely shite, worse than any of our midfielders.

I bet he's not even Boss in his own house never mind Bossing our Midfield.

Stay off the hard drugs Brendan...