You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers Speaks!

an tha

No he didn't - he came out like a house on fire and was the best p-layer in the league.

OK - so 1 to 0

Rainieri or Rodgers?

Leicester (say that again slowly to your self a couple of times) top of the league with Vardy top scorer and no one else w more than 5 goals -- we had Suarez and Sturridge at 1 and 2.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/27/brendan-rodgers-defends-signing-christian-benteke-liverpool

Brendan Rodgers has defended the signing of Christian Benteke by claiming his successor at Liverpool, Jürgen Klopp, tried to buy the striker when he was in charge of Borussia Dortmund.

“I took him to Liverpool in the summer because we were really short on goals and the one thing he does give you is goals, but obviously it’s going to take him time to get up to the way the team wants to play and Jürgen wants to press,” Rodgers told Talksport.

“I think Jürgen will take his time with him,” he added. “In this country, now, everything is very ‘short-termism’, isn’t it? People look at it like, you’ve got to come in, get 20 goals in your first season or you might be deemed a failure.

“I don’t think Jürgen’s looking at it as that. He tried to sign him for Dortmund. He knows he’s a good player. He met the boy, he met the agent, he met them in Germany, so he knows he’s a good player.”

The Belgian striker cost Liverpool £32.5m from Aston Villa in July in what appeared to be a panic buy by Rodgers but has largely been kept on the bench since Klopp took over in October.

Rodgers speaking for Jurgen now is he.................

"Jürgen wants to press,” Rodgers told Talksport.

“I think Jürgen will take his time with him,”

“I don’t think Jürgen’s looking at it as that. He tried to sign him for Dortmund. He knows he’s a good player. He met the boy, he met the agent, he met them in Germany, so he knows he’s a good player.”

If i want to know what Jurgen thinks il wait till he's asked.

Rodgers speaking for Jurgen now is he.................

"Jürgen wants to press,” Rodgers told Talksport.

“I think Jürgen will take his time with him,”

If i want to know what Jurgen thinks il wait till he's asked.

Give over.

Guest Pistonbroke

Rodgers needs a Peter Taylor like figure as his number 2, a football man who can spot a player. Rodgers can be a successful manager he just needs to take a step back put down the Tony Robbins CDs and remember it's football not quantum mechanics.

I don't think he has what it takes to be a good manager, especially if he needs to rely on a number 2 who knows more about the game than he ever will. Rodgers main problem is that he is an egotistic bell end, that will never go away. 

JP is right, the Chelsea game was key.  We lost it from a winning position with 3 games to go, classic choking.  What happened over the previous 35 games is irrelevant at that point.

The killing thing that day was a draw would have done us. The way Chelsea came to play and started even showed they would have been content with the draw.Fuck , their's not a day pass I don't think if only.

The killing thing that day was a draw would have done us. The way Chelsea came to play and started even showed they would have been content with the draw.Fuck , their's not a day pass I don't think if only.

That was the problem we only had one way of playing.

Rodgers tactics meant we we were unable to dig in and be pragmatic when needed. You cannot concede over 50 goals a season and expect to be successfull.

The Palace game is a case in point. Daniel Agger was sat on the bench and would have given us an option nto shore up the game, but we stupidly chased an insane goal difference.

Suarez in bits at the end, i reckon that was the day he knew it was time to think about moving.

That was the problem we only had one way of playing.

Rodgers tactics meant we we were unable to dig in and be pragmatic when needed. You cannot concede over 50 goals a season and expect to be successfull.

The Palace game is a case in point. Daniel Agger was sat on the bench and would have given us an option nto shore up the game, but we stupidly chased an insane goal difference.

Suarez in bits at the end, i reckon that was the day he knew it was time to think about moving.

Was I the only watching that game thinking we could close the goal difference? Didn't seem insane at the time.

Chasing the goal difference at 3-0 was exactly the right thing to do. When it went to 3-1 we should have been more pragmatic, we were utterly fucking stupid in how we played after it went to 3-1.

I actually meant  when they pulled one back. Like you say stupid once it was 3-1.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Yeah, if only we'd held out he'd have stayed.

Im talking more about his thinking for his future based on him carrying the team, not solely based on just that one game.

Lad's a born winner who wants trophies and the top money. I reckon he knew the rest of them werent up to scratch

Was I the only watching that game thinking we could close the goal difference? Didn't seem insane at the time.

No, you weren't. That team could have easily got it but they also could have conceded three which they did. History is being re-written here.

Im talking more about his thinking for his future based on him carrying the team, not solely based on just that one game.

Lad's a born winner who wants trophies and the top money. I reckon he knew the rest of them werent up to scratch

He was leaving regardless of whether won that league or not.

I was laughing more at the idea he wanted to stay at any point in that season. He'd done a 2 page spread in the press the previous summer begging to leave. There was never a more obvious thing than it was a "give us one more season and we'll give you £300k a week for that season" scenario. If we'd won the league nothing would have changed and he'd have been demanding out that summer.

Running down Rodgers's contribution to that title challenge is the reverse JP of absolving him for last year's horror show. Silly stuff. He had an insanely good player and used him accordingly, but which manager competing at that level doesn't have top players available? Kenny didn't fashion a title challenge out of Luis, why?

In addition, the facet of his character which is so fucking irritating, that disproportionate self-confidence for someone of his status in the game, which generally comes across as chippy and delusional and no doubt blinds him to his faults, was ironically a major asset given his and many of the players' inexperience.

Week after week he came out, faced the intense spotlight of managing this club in that situation, with nothing in his life that could have prepared him for it, and surfed the wave like an old hand, repeatedly saying the right things and convincing that he was taking it in his stride and had it under control. That translates to the players and is about good leadership - he performed his role brilliantly in those circumstances and we certainly never bottled it. We all know what happened and how sadly it happened to someone who gave the club his all, just one of those things.

I couldn't wait for Brendan to be removed from his post by the finish as he was dragging the whole club down, but give the man his due credit. Two sides of the same coin for me, to blame him solely for the way that season turned out, you have to acknowledge we'd probably never have had the ride in the first place with a different man in charge. Flawed manager, flawed team, incredible season we had no right to have. Wasn't to be.

Glad he's gone, made far too many mistakes overall but he can rightfully be proud of his performance that season. It was one that made football what it should be again, if all too briefly and if unrepeatable without the best player any of us will ever see playing for us, and I can't be fucked to run the guy down when he played such a big part in that, even if he does make me cringe.

• Upvote 5