You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Caulker

aRdja

• 4 weeks later...

When we signed him I thought he had a decent chance of usurping Toure in the pecking order and perhaps getting the 4th center back spot, and winning a longer term deal.

As it happened, Skrtel went to pot, Lovren started to look like a good player again, Kolo kept smiling and playing well and Sakho got on the fat busters. Caulker didn't really make any impression when it was apparently wide open for him to stake a claim. I can only assume he has regressed as a player, as when he was in the Prem a few seasons ago I thought he looked pretty decent.

Next season's central defenders is now anyone's guess. I'm going for:

Matip

Another (Sule?)

Lovren

Toure (the passing of the years apparently has no effect on this man!)

Gomez

The big question mark of course being Sakho.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

They were wild days, the Caulker times, but special, so very special.

Sometimes I look back and wonder did I really appreciate him being here, did I realise the gravity of what was happening, did I realise that things would probably never be the same again. Maybe I was just lost in it all like the rest of us. Maybe for one of the first times of my adult life, I was really living in the moment.

Even now, when we're tearing into a team like we did against Spurs last week, it doesn't seem right. Something's missing. Somebody's missing. When he left, part of me left too.

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...
29 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Was on the bus that crashed in Turkey, which injured a few teammates and killed one of them - Czech international striker Josef Sural. Caulker is physically OK but emotionally distraught.

Alanyaspor bus crash: Josef Sural killed on bus journey back from Kayserispor

Not the most stable of fellas before - wish him the best.