You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

David Bowie

Vincent Vega

I listened to Low on Saturday for the first time in a couple of years, I could never really get into it before but it started to make sense for some reason, it'll be getting a more frequent airing for the foreseeable I think & I might look into getting Heroes as well.

It's weird when you can't get into an album & then you put it on one day & it makes sense all of a sudden, I was the same with In a Silent Way by Miles Davis, tried for weeks before giving up on it & then one day I was round at my brother's & he had it on, it sounded amazing & now it's one of my favourite albums.

• Upvote 2

There was a BBC documentary called, 'Bowie - the last 5 years' on over the weekend, I watched it on the iPlayer last night & would recommend it, especially to anyone who likes his recent stuff (although there was a fair bit of older stuff on there too).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b088ktm6/david-bowie-the-last-five-years

that was excellent.  

• Upvote 2

I listened to Low on Saturday for the first time in a couple of years, I could never really get into it before but it started to make sense for some reason, it'll be getting a more frequent airing for the foreseeable I think & I might look into getting Heroes as well.

It's weird when you can't get into an album & then you put it on one day & it makes sense all of a sudden, I was the same with In a Silent Way by Miles Davis, tried for weeks before giving up on it & then one day I was round at my brother's & he had it on, it sounded amazing & now it's one of my favourite albums.

Low is phenomenal, especially the second more instrumental side.

• Upvote 1

Low is amazing. As is Heroes. And Station to Station. And Lodger. And Scary Monsters. It's quite the five album run in a five year period.

I think the quality from Hunky Dory to Ziggy Stardust to Aladdin Sane to Diamond Dogs to Young Americans is as solid.

What a run from 1972 to 1980. Staggering.

• Upvote 2

I think the quality from Hunky Dory to Ziggy Stardust to Aladdin Sane to Diamond Dogs to Young Americans is as solid.

That said, he needed to build up credit if he was going to release Dancing In The Street with Jagger. Just as well it was for charity. The state of the video, particularly Jagger.

That was 80s Bowie. He wanted to get more famous and make loads of money. Job done.

I also love Outside from 1995. For anyone who loves his late 70s stuff I'd recommend it. Just take out all the weird talky bits. Some belter songs on there though - Outside, Hearts filthy lesson, Oxford Town, no control, I'm deranged (one for the David Lynch fans), strangers when we meet.

That was 80s Bowie. He wanted to get more famous and make loads of money. Job done.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that his sole motivation in the 80s was cash? There's no way that was the case. His work with Nile Rodgers and Bernie Edwards was about his lifelong love of black music which was also seen in his final jazz-influenced albums. Yes it was commercial (in the 80s), but there was obvious creative integrity to it, too.
  • Upvote 2

Been caressing the inner ears with this album the last couple of days. 

I've always been a real admirer of Bowie growing up and it's only these last few years were I have taken an interest in him in more detail. I have mainly only ever listened to his well known singles and would never class myself as a proper Bowie 'Head', however when the news broke of his death last year, I cried. The world lost a cultural icon and he had left a huge creative hole that will never be filled and I found that tremendously sad.

It was mad how I felt about his loss. Me and the missus have a music night every few weeks. We sit at the dinner table, few bottles of wine or whatever we are drinking, laptop and Spotify, and each time I always have to throw on 'Fame' and 'Young Americans' but I hadn't listened to the "Young Americans' LP in full for a long time. 

My word, it's better than I ever remember it being. I have really grown to like 'Win' a lot, I don't even remember it from the last time I listened to it. 

• Upvote 1

I also love Outside from 1995. For anyone who loves his late 70s stuff I'd recommend it. Just take out all the weird talky bits. Some belter songs on there though - Outside, Hearts filthy lesson, Oxford Town, no control, I'm deranged (one for the David Lynch fans), strangers when we meet.

I think a lot of stars from the 70's actually had to jump in to the commercial side of the music business in the 80's just to get the money they deserved. The tough part was fitting in with era and keeping your artistic integraty in tact throughout, even if you do 'Dancing In The Street', but then I believe that video to have been done for a laugh rather than be anything serious. And Bowie pulled all that off with nothing but absolute brilliance.

Unlike my original musical hero who started off like this (well he had the perm first when joined Cream but he looks cool as fuck in this picture)

featured_clapton_cream_1967.jpg

And then blatantly took the piss with this.

talk_to_the_boss_front.jpg

Been caressing the inner ears with this album the last couple of days.

I've always been a real admirer of Bowie growing up and it's only these last few years were I have taken an interest in him in more detail. I have mainly only ever listened to his well known singles and would never class myself as a proper Bowie 'Head', however when the news broke of his death last year, I cried. The world lost a cultural icon and he had left a huge creative hole that will never be filled and I found that tremendously sad.

It was mad how I felt about his loss. Me and the missus have a music night every few weeks. We sit at the dinner table, few bottles of wine or whatever we are drinking, laptop and Spotify, and each time I always have to throw on 'Fame' and 'Young Americans' but I hadn't listened to the "Young Americans' LP in full for a long time.

My word, it's better than I ever remember it being. I have really grown to like 'Win' a lot, I don't even remember it from the last time I listened to it.

I was a later convert to Young Americans too, I was more obsessed with the glam years and Berlin period for a long time. What an album though - agree with you on Win. I love the soulful outro to All Across The Universe too - up there with Wilson Picket and Duane Allman's Hey Jude as the best Beatles cover for me.

Have you seen that footage of him in the studio with all the soul session musicians at the time? He really does look like something from another world.

I was a later convert to Young Americans too, I was more obsessed with the glam years and Berlin period for a long time. What an album though - agree with you on Win. I love the soulful outro to All Across The Universe too - up there with Wilson Picket and Duane Allman's Hey Jude as the best Beatles cover for me.

Have you seen that footage of him in the studio with all the soul session musicians at the time? He really does look like something from another world.

Yup, that's where I got the intention of discovering it more. Especially after seeing that Luther Vandross boxed all the backing vocal ideas off as Bowie knew he was a genius in harmonies. 

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that his sole motivation in the 80s was cash? There's no way that was the case. His work with Nile Rodgers and Bernie Edwards was about his lifelong love of black music which was also seen in his final jazz-influenced albums. Yes it was commercial (in the 80s), but there was obvious creative integrity to it, too.

There is no question whatsoever that with Lets Dance Bowie wanted a commercial hit record. Contrast the original China Girl with Iggy against the poppy Lets Dance version.

I must be in the minority that absolutely loves his later stuff rather than the early.

To me, Heathen, Reality and The Next Day are solid albums. Reality being the weakest but still some fantastic songs like 'Days' and 'She'll Drive The Big Car'

Heathen is incredible. 'Slow Burn', 'Slip Away', 'Everyone Says Hi', '5.15' are some of his best work, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love some stuff from 70s and 80s and it could just be my age as to why I love his later stuff but I think I just 'get it' more.

Dad had the live version of 'All The Mad Men' on in the car earlier. One song I'd have loved to have heard live! The outro blows me away every time.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

I must be in the minority that absolutely loves his later stuff rather than the early.

To me, Heathen, Reality and The Next Day are solid albums. Reality being the weakest but still some fantastic songs like 'Days' and 'She'll Drive The Big Car'

Heathen is incredible. 'Slow Burn', 'Slip Away', 'Everyone Says Hi', '5.15' are some of his best work, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love some stuff from 70s and 80s and it could just be my age as to why I love his later stuff but I think I just 'get it' more.

Dad had the live version of 'All The Mad Men' on in the car earlier. One song I'd have loved to have heard live! The outro blows me away every time.

removed

i liked Let's Dance at 12 y.o. and still do.

Time Will Crawl for me at the minute. can't get enough of it

• Upvote 1