You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Positively Atheist Thread

Bjornebye

I don't think you have to understand there is a concept of God - which you then reject - to be an atheist. That is religious propaganda.

God is a taught concept. Before anyone is taught to be a theist they are by definition an atheist.

This is also atheist propaganda. Every human society has sought to ask questions about the meaning of their existence. A few have settled on a monotheistic deity. We have it in us to ask questions about our being.

It's only in the last two centuries that theoretical physics and biology have progressed far enough to give us the clarity religion previously monopolised. It will take time and science will need better propaganda than calling billions of people mentally ill to convince people. 

• Upvote 4

This is also atheist propaganda. Every human society has sought to ask questions about the meaning of their existence. A few have settled on a monotheistic deity. We have it in us to ask questions about our being.

That doesn't have anything to do with how individual human beings are born though.

It's not really a double standard. You can claim certainty for those things because you can demonstrate how and why they would happen. It's much harder to prove the non-existence of God, not least because first you would have to establish a definition of what God is (or what he would be, if he existed) and even people who believe in the fucker disagree violently on that

I am saying with absolute certainty that the Christian God, Muslim God, Hindu Gods etc are fictitious. We know enough about the universe to be able to say that.

Obviously I am open to the extremely remote possibility that there is a "deity" of some kind out there. But let us not use our slight doubt where a deity is concerned to give legitimacy to the idea that any of these named deities exist.

So far as violent disagreements between religions are concerned, I think it's another excellent example of the double standards of the religious. They criticise atheism, but they're just as atheistic where the gods of other religions are concerned as I am. They agree with me on Zeus, Thor and Quetzlcoatl, but, of course, wouldn't you know it, their God is the One True God.

• Upvote 2

Yes. But it's okay to challenge them without being called some sort of cunt militant.

Some people seem to drop their bullshit radar for religion but keep it well tuned for all the other guff. No consistency.

I don't think I've called anyone a cunt militant just for highlighting the illogical silliness of religion.

I am saying with absolute certainty that the Christian God, Muslim God, Hindu Gods etc are fictitious. We know enough about the universe to be able to say that.

Obviously I am open to the extremely remote possibility that there is a "deity" of some kind out there. But let us not use our slight doubt where a deity is concerned to give legitimacy to the idea that any of these named deities exist.

So far as violent disagreements between religions are concerned, I think it's another excellent example of the double standards of the religious. They criticise atheism, but they're just as atheistic where the gods of other religions are concerned as I am. They agree with me on Zeus, Thor and Quetzlcoatl, but, of course, wouldn't you know it, their God is the One True God.

On my phone, so I can't post that Spitting Image "My God's Bigger Than Your God" song.

It's only in the last two centuries that theoretical physics and biology have progressed far enough to give us the clarity religion previously monopolised. It will take time and science will need better propaganda than calling billions of people mentally ill to convince people. 

Sure, we have it in us to arrive at these concepts by ourselves, but we are not born knowing or believing anything.

• Upvote 1

I deffo want one of those self aware coffee tables. 

One basic truth we can't deny.. I think therefore I am. May as well live a life of discovery rather than blind faith. Look at fairly modern created religions such as Scientology and Mormons, Joseph Smith and Ron Hubbard were absolute charlatans and yet completely deluded people have fallen and still are falling for that garbage, it's embarrassing. The same applies to every religion it's nonsense how can it be anything other. Now it is possible there's something but whatever it is, it's far beyond us to comprehend.. our minds are too tiny, too small, we are dust on a planet that's like dust compared to other planets around stars that can dwarf our solar system which itself is dust scattered amongst billions of galaxy's. To think these religious texts answer anything about life or the universe is obscene they are nothing more than tales men tell to keep others in check. We should strive for answers not pretend we have them already. 

• Upvote 4

Greenwald is a pretty decent guy. 

He just fell into the trap that a lot of other pretty decent people do when it comes to religion, in that they lose their moral and intellectual bearings and regress to "BE NICE!!"

Often feeling that they need to misrepresent the debate in order to win it. 

Affleck is in the same club.

• Upvote 1