You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham 2 Liverpool 0 (Jan 2 2016)

tlw content

westhamreport2.jpg

I usually wait a while before writing the reports after a bad loss to avoid the temptation of making heat of the moment, rash statements that I’ll regret once I’ve had time to reflect. That doesn’t really apply this time because most of what I’m going to say is more or less how I felt before the game anyway. What we saw at West Ham just put the exclamation point on it.

Most of these players can get to fuck now. I’m sick of the sight of them, the majority are either shite or gutless and in some cases it’s both. In the opening half an hour or so West Ham were first to every ball, they won every aerial duel and they repeatedly won the ball whenever there was any kind of physical confrontation. Most of our players just didn’t fancy it at all, they were dominated physically just like they were at Watford. That eased off once West Ham got themselves a lead because having accomplished what they set out to do, they then went from the front foot to the back foot. That was when we had the opportunity to play, but once again they just weren't good enough. It's not just about being outfought or bullied; even when they have the chance to play football they are frequently found wanting.

Essentially what happened was they swarmed all over us to start with, got in front and then said “that’ll do nicely, now what are you going to do about it?”. The answer of course was absolutely nothing. The same thing happened at Watford and Newcastle too. West Ham got in amongst us early on and that set the tone. As soon as they went ahead they backed off and defended in numbers and challenged us to break them down, all the while waiting patiently for the chances to kill us off that they knew would come their way.

While the two goals we conceded were poor, I put this defeat squarely on the attacking players who are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. They’re fucking useless and I’m fed up of this continual struggle to score goals that we’ve seen over the last 18 months. Nitpick about the goals we conceded all you like, and I’m not defending that by any means, but our attacking players don’t score, so to me it’s harsh to point the finger at the defence because more often than not we need to keep a clean sheet in order to have any chance of winning. The defenders therefore need to be almost perfect and that’s not a realistic expectation.

I'm not saying we could win a title with the goalkeeper, back four and central midfield we have (although most of them went close two years ago), but it's the front four (whoever it happens to be) that are the reason we’re this shit. Statistically they are now the worst in the entire history of the club (more on this in a bit). It doesn’t matter which four are playing if it doesn’t include Sturridge, as barring the occasional freak occurrence the very best they’re going to manage is one goal.

How can you win regularly like that? We took six points over Christmas because the defence pitched two shut outs, but as soon as they make one mistake that’s it, we’re fucked. If I was Mignolet or any of those defenders I’d be fucking fuming with the deadbeats playing ahead of me.

I’m at the point now where I’m beginning to despise all of our attacking players. Ok, I’ll exclude Ibe from that because he’s still a kid and I haven’t given up on him yet, even if his production levels are completely unacceptable (he still doesn’t have a single league goal for us). The others can fuck off though, I’m sick of the lot of them. We’ve basically got a bunch of Stewart Downings playing behind a lone striker, and no-one wants to see that.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

• Upvote 6

Coutinho as Luis Garcia or Benayoun is regrettably a correct comparison.

Remember when he scored those two against Chelsea, journos asked Klopp whether he was the best playmaker he'd worked with. Klopp's non-committal response was telling.

Playmakers make those around them better, not hit 5 shots into the stand every game. He's too greedy to rely on and if we had an alternative I would leave him out against alehouse teams because his disdain for physical contact is pathetic.

• Upvote 1

Hard to argue. We miss Henderson for his creativity when he's not playing, and as much as I rate Henderson, he's an all-rounder. It's an indictment of all the other attacking players. I also think we miss Danny Ings and obviously Sturridge, but everyone has had enough of excuses now.

• Upvote 1

Coutinho as Luis Garcia or Benayoun is regrettably a correct comparison.

Remember when he scored those two against Chelsea, journos asked Klopp whether he was the best playmaker he'd worked with. Klopp's non-committal response was telling.

Playmakers make those around them better, not hit 5 shots into the stand every game. He's too greedy to rely on and if we had an alternative I would leave him out against alehouse teams because his disdain for physical contact is pathetic.

For me, taking a shot isn't a bad thing.  He's put a few crackers away in his time, though his conversion rate leaves plenty to be desired.  It's his apparent insistence in giving the ball away for no reason that pisses me off, together with a lack of appetite when things get a little tough.  Watching yesterday's game again it is unbelievable how many times he just surrenders possession.  

Just from that preview seems pretty much an aggregation of the many, many posts made on here about the gutless shithouses we have playing for our club.

Hopefully the required rebuild starts soon - to add a spine, some spines, some leadership and some goals.

Hard to argue. We miss Henderson for his creativity when he's not playing, and as much as I rate Henderson, he's an all-rounder. It's an indictment of all the other attacking players. I also think we miss Danny Ings and obviously Sturridge, but everyone has had enough of excuses now.

Hardly hes played his part in many groundhog days before, this is how we replaced gerrard.

Classic rantage but there's some stuff I dont agree with. How can the back 4 be good and it not down to them when moreno is so poor at defending? The back 4 dont chip in with goals, the only one who does, skrtel is injured and some want to see the back of him yet have made sakho a deity.

If you're a £32m striker, it is down to you to shoulder the burden and weigh in with the goals, especially when you're the focal point of the attack never mind the team.

Yes, coutniho's finishing is woeful but I dont blame him one jot for taking the shots. He can see benteke is static, no one else is posing a threat and Klopp would surely tell him to stop shooting if he wasnt already being directed to do it.

Firmino seems a nice lad but nice lads dont cut it. He's no physical presence. He doesnt bully the oppo defenders and keeper. How come we sign Brazilians who cant fucking shoot (lucas, coutinho, firmino)? And if Lallana does one more cruyff turn Ill fucking blow my brains out.

Not long ago, people were raving over Can, blaming rodgers for playing him out of position. Move him into midfield was the collective shout. Fuck me, lucas has more goals for the club1 Now some people are saying move him further forward still to get the best out of him! Make you wonder why Joachim Low doesnt play him up front for Germany, eh?

I dont understand how we played so well in the city, chelsea and southampton games and then it all turn to shit. Even some of Klopp's early games we played some good football but didnt get the breaks.

I dont have a problem with the players shooting and missing or making the ambitious defence splitting pass that doesnt come off. If you dont try, it never will work. But, I cant stand player who dont fight.

Picture this. suppose Ryan Kent or Sergio Canas get drafted into the team and at half time comes in screaming that some arent putting the effort in. What sort of reception do you think they'd get from this bunch? I reckon the 'senior' players would tell them to fuck off and shut up.

I dont think Klopp needs anything sending to him. He knows the score, anyone who saw his presser after that performance and think he doesnt is deluded but his hands are tied with the resources available to him right now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm not saying we could win a title with the goalkeeper, back four and central midfield we have (although most of them went close two years ago), but it's the front four (whoever it happens to be) that are the reason we’re this shit. Statistically they are now the worst in the entire history of the club (more on this in a bit). It doesn’t matter which four are playing if it doesn’t include Sturridge, as barring the occasional freak occurrence the very best they’re going to manage is one goal.

I’m at the point now where I’m beginning to despise all of our attacking players. Ok, I’ll exclude Ibe from that because he’s still a kid and I haven’t given up on him yet, even if his production levels are completely unacceptable (he still doesn’t have a single league goal for us). The others can fuck off though, I’m sick of the lot of them. We’ve basically got a bunch of Stewart Downings playing behind a lone striker, and no-one wants to see that.

Said the same yesterday.  Without Ibe that Attacking 4 cost £82 million pounds. Just think about that for a minute.

Posted Yesterday, 06:57 PM

Up front we may have the worst Strikeforce ive ever seen at the club. One striker plays about 5 games a season. Another is probably the softest "Big Man" ive ever seen who given any time to think about what he's doing generally tends to balls it up. And a couple of rookies/midtable plodders.

Benteke was a disgrace amongst a shower of shameful shire.

He won one header to Lallana who then broke down the right whilst Fuckin Big Ben strolled towards the box I nearly bust a blood vessel screaming at telly

And when the ball came in he was nowhere

He can't control it He rarely holds up and brings others into the game

He doesn't like a physical battle.

We got rid of Andy Carroll as that was not how Rodgers wanted to play and we saw the benefits of sturridge and Suarez

So when we lose Luis we by Andy Carroll lite

The cowardly version

Figure that one out. Pace pressure mobility and goals is what we want

Players make systems and ours are shite in any system

We are moving into the "loads of possession but lose 3-0.

Fuckin wasters. 54 think I would not get as irate as I do but you just care too much

Actually ruined new year .

• Upvote 1

With games coming thick and fast and a desperate need to be able to rotate, whether this shambles are tired, spineless, not up-for-it, gutless, useless, out-of-form etc, we need to look at which young lads trying to break into the first team are up for it and prepared to bust a bollock to pull that shirt on.

If your not performing, you're not in the team. If you're not up-for-it, pulling out of challenges or giving less than the 100% required then it's back to the reserves till you learn what's expected and regain the club's trust. That's the rotation this team needs.

Eye of the tiger and all that!

I don't know what it is about pivotal losses that bring out the creme de la creme of your reports, Dave, but... like the loss to the Portuguese Reg Varney and his vanguard of buses that cost us the title in 2014... this is amongst your very tip top match reports.

Painfully accurate on the whole & beautifully, angrily articulate.

It can't have been fun writing it, but it is brilliant.

Ta, mate.

£82 million for that front four,vardy and mahrez,£1mil? Deeney and ighalo,1.5mil?its not your fuck'n price tag it's about your will to win and your desire,Danny Ings pisses all over them four fuck'n wasters.can you imagine the opposition managers team talk to his defenders,fuck'n hell lads,your in for a tough afternoon here,Haaaa!!!...vulnerable at one end,clueless at the other,that's us

Agree completely that the problems are in attack - it is hardly debatable when you realize just how bad our goals scored tally is at this point of the season. Whilst I think we certainly need better players, we also need players that fit together better. At the moment, we have nobody - beyond perhaps Henderson - who can regularly supply the kinds of crosses that Benteke needs. And we have nobody - unless Sturridge is fit - that can make the kinds of runs that Coutinho and Firmino need to make chances for others. The result is that all end up looking dismal and we struggle to score.

• Upvote 2

We ooze averageness out of every pore. Go through the entire team and they're all 6/7 out of 10 players. We're in a pretty average place in the table and we will remain there until we get better players. Klopp can only polish turds for so long but at the end of the day the faeces will revert to type and stink of shit.

The next couple of transfer windows are going to be fascinating as Klopp doesn't strike me as one who suffers fools. His West Ham post match interview was fairly damming.

We ooze averageness out of every pore. Go through the entire team and they're all 6/7 out of 10 players. We're in a pretty average place in the table and we will remain there until we get better players. Klopp can only polish turds for so long but at the end of the day the faeces will revert to type and stink of shit.

The next couple of transfer windows are going to be fascinating as Klopp doesn't strike me as one who suffers fools. His West Ham post match interview was fairly damming.

Lets hope he jibs every single gutless twat stealing a wage who hasn't got the fire in their belly needed.