You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The lemonade man

Sugar Ape

Not sure when Lucozade got all trendy all I can ever remember about it is that it had some horrible gold coloured film around the bottle that always got sticky 

13631847063_9c8ff534fb_m.jpg

9ac2443490db40bf31d250f8e1addfc1.jpg

It was the Alpine man for me , he used to deliver every Saturday....and you'd always try and nick a couple of bottles while they were all off the wagon doing deliveries.

67d81eda321ed199100f0c194ee423c7.jpg

that's what we used to get.  You could fill a bath with it for 28p.  That lorry driver must have ended his day with a load of empties and about 75p in his cash bag. 

Tasted like a fat lad's enema. 

• Upvote 1

Liverpops was the lemo man near me. All I ever used to buy off the mobi was foot long sherbet straws you'd have to chew the plastic ends off because the ends would clog up and giant ice pops the plastic would give you a chelsea smile. I drank bleach out of a liverpops cream soda bottle, my nan was a cleaner and used to steal the bleach by putting it in the cream soda bottle then the dopey cow would put it with the other lemonade bottles.

• Upvote 1

It was great being a kid. We had the lemo man, the icy (ice cream man if you're a wool) who'd do blag VHS, and we even had a candy floss man and Mrs Huyton's van who was essentially a convenience store on wheels.

The icey man, ie Vinnie? He also sold banana flavour ice cream IIRC.

And there was one that used to come round about 9.30-10.00pm on Fridays and Saturdays who had cherry flavour chewies in his screwballs. Wonder if he sold contraband at that time of night?

As an incomer I'm with you on 'juice' and 'jags' and probably most of your other ones but the one that really distresses me is the pronunciation of 'J'. Arrggghhhhhh!

It sounds like G, the weirdos.

I'm considering moving up permanently but I'm unsure if I could cope with all the weird sayings and pronunciations every single day.

It sounds like G, the weirdos.

I'm considering moving up permanently but I'm unsure if I could cope with all the weird sayings and pronunciations every single day.

Noo! Pronouncing it to rhyme with 'why'.

But on the second sentence, yer just being silly now

Noo! Pronouncing it to rhyme with 'why'.

But on the second sentence, yer just being silly now

Not everybody in Scotland pronounces their Js like this, I certainly don't.

Fizzy juice is juice though & jags are injections, I think the second one is used more commonly when a child is getting their jags because it sounds less scary than injections. You don't hear people saying they got jags in their mouth when they got a tooth out for instance & when my Mum (who is diabetic) uses her insulin, she calls them her injections.

Not everybody in Scotland pronounces their Js like this, I certainly don't.

Fizzy juice is juice though & jags are injections, I think the second one is used more commonly when a child is getting their jags because it sounds less scary than injections. You don't hear people saying they got jags in their mouth when they got a tooth out for instance & when my Mum (who is diabetic) uses her insulin, she calls them her injections.

Yeah, I didn't mean everyone says it, which is kind of what makes it worse when you do hear it...you've half forgotten about it and then out it comes like nails down a blackboard.

Almost as much as when my husband says 'brew' and 'pop' just to annoy me. At least that's why I think he does it

Liverpops was the lemo man near me. All I ever used to buy off the mobi was foot long sherbet straws you'd have to chew the plastic ends off because the ends would clog up and giant ice pops the plastic would give you a chelsea smile. I drank bleach out of a liverpops cream soda bottle, my nan was a cleaner and used to steal the bleach by putting it in the cream soda bottle then the dopey cow would put it with the other lemonade bottles.

My nan used to use leftovers for cleaning stuff occasionally too. The colour,smell and no label on the bottle helped me avoid drinking the stuff though.