You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The lemonade man

Sugar Ape

I used to help with deliveries on the lemo van in the early 70s, both cream soda and dandelion and burdoch was nice as was saspirella ? there used to be tramp living in the old baines dairy outside litherland tar factory, johnny doolan who we used to get cream soda and meths for him. It was when cocktails were just becoming fashionable , fond memories.

Hang on - They used to deliver lemonade? To your house? Fucking hell. Snobby bastards. Did they hand clean your tiaras while they were there?

And in Ireland we had TK Red Lemonade. We had to go to the shops to buy it though...

Do we still not have TK red lemonade?

They did deliver it in Ireland, Johnny.

I think TK is still on the go.

And they didn't deliver it around where I was. Posh gets.

I posted about this in an old thread on here about Fruit & Veg and lemonade men. The lemonade man was quite popular in Louth. I think it was mostly lads from up north who used to do it.

I live in southern Ireland. My nan always used to get me a bottle of orange from the lemonade man when he called, who was from up north and a protestant.

Anyway, one time when I was about 5 I was up in my nans. The door knocked and I ran to get it. My nan shouted, 'who is it?' To which I replied, 'it's the orange man'

Went down like a lead balloon. The lad then obviously thought that that's what my nan and the family called him. I think that was the last they seen of him. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Dandelion and Burdock was the one.

I've not had cream soda since I was a kid, when we used to have cream soda floats. Not sure I'd fancy ice cream in a drink now, like. Cream Soda is my wife's favourite soft drink and she reckons the A & W version is the best around. I bought her 24 cans of the stuff for Christmas. It's not cheap as it's an American import. I'd give that a try if you've not had it before.

That stuff was the dogs nads when I was a kid it was my favourite soft drink, although I also had a liking for Lucozade, not because I was ill or anything but because it was fucking gorgeous. 

I still don't believe it cures Aids like.

Lucozade Aids Recovery....not having it! 

Pineapple & cherryade where the choice when I was a kid,also the Walls ice cream man on a Sunday with his box fridge on wheels.

Had a go flogging Walls on a Sunday afternoon as a youngster. Pushing the fucking thing around council estates in the pissing rain didn't put me on the path to wealth and prosperity. Sold about 4 ice creams in three weeks before I gave it up.

All the bottles (glass, plastic bottles hadn't been invented), except for some reason milk bottles, had a 3d deposit. You could have a couple of big parties and then have a small one by taking all the empties back to the off license. I think 5 empties got you a full one.

• Upvote 1

Had a go flogging Walls on a Sunday afternoon as a youngster. Pushing the fucking thing around council estates in the pissing rain didn't put me on the path to wealth and prosperity. Sold about 4 ice creams in three weeks before I gave it up.

All the bottles (glass, plastic bottles hadn't been invented), except for some reason milk bottles, had a 3d deposit. You could have a couple of big parties and then have a small one by taking all the empties back to the off license. I think 5 empties got you a full one.

Those where the days mate,hard graft doing the Walls ice'es out in all weathers them lads.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Random Bump was arguing a point with a mate and unbelievably this thread came up as a google result...anyway - when I was a kid I recall "lemo" used to be the general phrase and "lemo" came in different flavours - so you had "orange lemo", "Cherry lemo" etc. 

"Get a bottle of lemo" - "What flavour?"...

Random Bump was arguing a point with a mate and unbelievably this thread came up as a google result...anyway - when I was a kid I recall "lemo" used to be the general phrase and "lemo" came in different flavours - so you had "orange lemo", "Cherry lemo" etc. 

Nah - Lemonade was the 'white' stuff from Alpine, R Whites, Cresta etc. Personally I think Sprite and 7-Up are too sweet to be proper lemo.

He was the lemonade man because he delivered lemonade, as well as dandelion & burdock, cola, etc  

The fella who delivered fizzy drinks was called the lemonade (lemo) man, but he did other flavoured fizzy drinks as well. Orangeade, cherryade, cream soda, dandelion and burdock and cola. The cola was horrible.

That stuff was the dogs nads when I was a kid it was my favourite soft drink, although I also had a liking for Lucozade, not because I was ill or anything but because it was fucking gorgeous. 

I still don't believe it cures Aids like.

Lucozade Aids Recovery....not having it! 

Not sure when Lucozade got all trendy all I can ever remember about it is that it had some horrible gold coloured film around the bottle that always got sticky 

13631847063_9c8ff534fb_m.jpg

9ac2443490db40bf31d250f8e1addfc1.jpg

It was the Alpine man for me , he used to deliver every Saturday....and you'd always try and nick a couple of bottles while they were all off the wagon doing deliveries.

67d81eda321ed199100f0c194ee423c7.jpg

• Upvote 2