You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The lemonade man

Sugar Ape

• 3 years later...

This came up in a Google search.

Anyway, in the mid to late 80s we had the lemonade man. It was either Wednesday or Thursday about 7 o'clock. We always got 4 bottles - usually normal lemonade, Dandelion and Burdock, Cream Soda (the proper green one you could stick a block of ice cream in) and orangeade. Generally they were all know as lemo to us. I don't know if the lemonade man came only during the summer though? Don't remember him turning up in the depths of winter. 

At my Nan's in Norris green on a Sunday evening there used to be a fella who drove a sweets van. Had all sort of sweets. Bit like an ice cream man but with sweets. 

On the theme of vans pulling up in the street offering services, we used to have a mobile library that would stop outside our house every week. It was great. Would always get a Tintin book and an Asterix book. Great times.

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

This came up in a Google search.

Anyway, in the mid to late 80s we had the lemonade man. It was either Wednesday or Thursday about 7 o'clock. We always got 4 bottles - usually normal lemonade, Dandelion and Burdock, Cream Soda (the proper green one you could stick a block of ice cream in) and orangeade. Generally they were all know as lemo to us. I don't know if the lemonade man came only during the summer though? Don't remember him turning up in the depths of winter. 

At my Nan's in Norris green on a Sunday evening there used to be a fella who drove a sweets van. Had all sort of sweets. Bit like an ice cream man but with sweets. 

On the theme of vans pulling up in the street offering services, we used to have a mobile library that would stop outside our house every week. It was great. Would always get a Tintin book and an Asterix book. Great times.

"What flavour lemo you want, lad?"

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2021-05-01/son-restores-bright-orange-seventies-truck-in-honour-of-his-late-father-who-worked-at-schofields-in-liverpool

13 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Does anyone use a milkman? A fella tried to set up by us last year but he didn't last. It's a shame. I used to love the massive Christmas selection box we would order from the milkman (aka 'the milky') when we were kids, I think the milk company did some Christmas savings scheme. 

They've been knocking on around our area trying to sign people up.

In theory it's good and a hark back to the days of regular milk deliveries and they offer other produce too however the prices compared to a supermarket, or even a local newsagent/corner store make it very hard to justify. For example the recent flyer I received promoted fizzy drinks for about £1.50 per 750ml bottle, you can get a 2ltr bottle of store brand lemonade or other flavours for about 60p.

• Upvote 1