You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The lemonade man

Sugar Ape

Not everybody in Scotland pronounces their Js like this, I certainly don't.

Fizzy juice is juice though & jags are injections, I think the second one is used more commonly when a child is getting their jags because it sounds less scary than injections. You don't hear people saying they got jags in their mouth when they got a tooth out for instance & when my Mum (who is diabetic) uses her insulin, she calls them her injections.

If I were a bairn I think I'd rather know I was going for an injection. Going for jags sounds like I was being taken to have my coupon ripped if but rabid dugs.

If I were a bairn I think I'd rather know I was going for an injection. Going for jags sounds like I was being taken to have my coupon ripped if but rabid dugs.

Sounds more like you're being dragged along to a Partick Thistle game.

Which is probably worse than having your face ripped off by dogs.

Remember when I was a kid and went to my mum's mate's house in Widnes and she asked what I wanted to drink and I said 'lemonade'. And she was like, 'do you mean 'lemonade' or some other kind of pop, because I know in Liverpool it can mean different things'. 

tumblr_lhqjd9XCEX1qav29fo1_r1_500.gif

The one kid I knew who had it was super poor and carried a bottle of home made roller cola about with him.

Kids used to take the piss because his dad made his own pickled onions but it's something I want to get into

Correct. It was properly embarrassing. We had it because you could save money compared to the branded drinks that everyone else had

• 2 years later...
On 03/02/2017 at 20:15, Paco said:

He's called the mineral man.

Johnny Vaughan had someone from Armagh working on his talksport show and he used to take piss out of him about calling lemonade mineral.

We never had one of these mythical lemonade delivery men in Dublin. 

But funnily enough back in the 80's, fizzy drinks would be called minerals.