You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The lemonade man

Sugar Ape

My dad used to work as one for Schofields years ago when he was early 20's so I must have been 5 or 6, but how boss was it when they'd drop it off?

Cream Soda, Cherryade and Dandelion and Burdock were the staple drinks. Used to like Cream soda best but can't drink it now as I can't find one that tastes as nice.

On a related note, there was nearly world war 3 in work between a couple of middle aged scouse women who insisted, apart from Coke, every other fizzy drink, Fanta, Tizer etc... was to be referred to as lemonade and some assorted wools from Southport and the Wirral who insisted Lemonade could only apply to drinks such as 7up and Sprite.

masons-cream-soda-1-litre.jpg

masons-cherryade-1-litre.jpg

masons-dandelion-burdock-1-litre.jpg

• Upvote 2

Dandelion and Burdock was the one.

I've not had cream soda since I was a kid, when we used to have cream soda floats. Not sure I'd fancy ice cream in a drink now, like. Cream Soda is my wife's favourite soft drink and she reckons the A & W version is the best around. I bought her 24 cans of the stuff for Christmas. It's not cheap as it's an American import. I'd give that a try if you've not had it before.

In Glasgow they call all fizzy soft drinks 'ginger'. And none of them are ever ginger. Weird

In Glasgow they call all fizzy soft drinks 'ginger'. And none of them are ever ginger. Weird

The American term for all fizzy drinks is "soda". I like that, it just works.

The Alpine man was the first I remember then Schofields seemed to take over.

Both Alpine White and Schofields green? stuff were ace,as were their Dandelion and Burdocks.

Is it true Stringy's lemo man used to deliver his in a Chariot?

Yep. The Alpine Man is one of my strongest childhood memories.

I loved the cream soda - bright green it was. Wasn't a big fan of the Dandelion and Burdock.

Between that sugary shite and the BSE burgers we were served up in the early eighties it's amazing half my generation aren't fucked up.

The Alpine man was the first I remember then Schofields seemed to take over.

Both Alpine White and Schofields green? stuff were ace,as were their Dandelion and Burdocks.

Is it true Stringy's lemo man used to deliver his in a Chariot?

absolutely.  

I remember the Alpine lorry.  You could get about 60 litres for 10p.  Because it was shite.  The Orange was brutal, and most of them apart from Cream Soda where just shite, but it you could get about four bottles for the price of one Schofields or R Whites.

being forced to drink that was like being forced to wear FHW own brand trainees. 

absolutely.  

I remember the Alpine lorry.  You could get about 60 litres for 10p.  Because it was shite.  The Orange was brutal, and most of them apart from Cream Soda where just shite, but it you could get about four bottles for the price of one Schofields or R Whites.

being forced to drink that was like being forced to wear FHW own brand trainees. 

I remember returning the empty bottles to get 10p back.

I remember returning the empty bottles to get 10p back.

I don't think you got anything for the Alpine bottles as far as I remember, it was just the bottles you took back to the shop.  Or maybe they pulled a fast one on me.  Fucking hell, between them and purple aki, no wonder my childhood was miserable.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you got anything for the Alpine bottles as far as I remember, it was just the bottles you took back to the shop.  Or maybe they pulled a fast one on me.  Fucking hell, between them and purple aki, no wonder my childhood was miserable.

You could be right - I'll have to confirm with my Mum.

The long-term effects of BSE burgers may be kicking in here.*

*Of course, this has nothing to do with the all the ale I've had this evening.

I don't think you got anything for the Alpine bottles as far as I remember, it was just the bottles you took back to the shop. Or maybe they pulled a fast one on me. Fucking hell, between them and purple aki, no wonder my childhood was miserable.

I think with the Alpine man you got money knocked off your next order for returns,if not money.

The Europeans,I know of Denmark and Germany who do for sure,get money off vouchers,or cash?for returning their empties to shops,supermarkets etc. Great and simple idea for me.

Where I grew up we had the Bon Accord lorry, it would come round & deliver all your fizzy juice & heroin.

You'd get 10p for returning the bottle the next week. I'm pretty sure it stopped sometime around the late 80s.

Also, 'lemonade' only applies to fizzy lemon drinks like Sprite & 7up, calling Tizer 'lemonade' is paedo behaviour.

• Upvote 2

Ah, the lemo man.  We had Schofields, or Schoey as it was known around our parts.  When you seen him down the street that was the sign to leg it into the house and let your mum know so she could empty all the bottles with hardly any left in and you'd run down the road to get some money back on them.  

And 7up and Sprite = Lemo.

Anything else = Not lemo.

Adding to that we used to have a little convenience van come round every couple of days.  Mrs Huyton it was, and her calling sign was just to bang her horn for 30-40 seconds in the street and everyone would come out of their house for bread and Bazooka Joe's.  We also had a candy floss van that came round.  Those were the days we lived as kings!!

• Upvote 2

Ah, the lemo man. We had Schofields, or Schoey as it was known around our parts. When you seen him down the street that was the sign to leg it into the house and let your mum know so she could empty all the bottles with hardly any left in and you'd run down the road to get some money back on them.

And 7up and Sprite = Lemo.

Anything else = Not lemo.

Adding to that we used to have a little convenience van come round every couple of days. Mrs Huyton it was, and her calling sign was just to bang her horn for 30-40 seconds in the street and everyone would come out of their house for bread and Bazooka Joe's. We also had a candy floss van that came round. Those were the days we lived as kings!!

Had one of those moby vans ourselves in L8 when I was a nipper. My nan always bought stuff from it and I always went with her cos I knew she would buy me stuff.

Great times when I was a nipper.

Whole different world now though.

Christ, yes, I remember the Alpine Man.  Not that I can comment on the taste as we were too poor to afford even the Alpine stuff.  I remember we'd get the odd bottle of Schofield's as a treat, and getting some was like getting a glass of Dom Perignon.

• Upvote 2