You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Old People Driving

Rico1304

Stop the doddering old fuckers from driving anywhere between the hours of 6-9am and 4-7pm on weekdays. I'm sure they set out with the intention of holding people up on national speed limit roads, junctions and fucking roundabouts when they can clearly see no one is coming!

Bad news about that crash that killed somebody though.

My Mrs granddad was 93 and terminally ill and we went down to uttoxeter to visit him less than two weeks before he passed away in his nursing home to find his bed empty and no one knew where he'd gone.

She's on the phone to her sister going spare when he turns into the nursing home car park as I'm looking out the window, cruises over two flower beds doing 3mph and parks his car in the middle of the road blocking 3 others in and casually steps out with a paper under his arm.

Safe to say we took the car keys with us when he left to his utter bemusement.

• Upvote 1

I think it's nuts that anyone gets a licence for life.  You could pass your test at 18, then not get into another car for 30 years, yet your trusted to carry on regardless.  Conversely, you get people picking up shit habits which go unchecked.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to issue licences for a maximum of 10 years.

After 40 everyone should have an eye test and everyone a theory test each year, similar to the USA system. 

When you think of the lives it would save. Coming home last night there was a small car doing 20 in a 50. The car behind it had obviously had enough and went for the overtake near a bend and just missed a head on, madness. I was then stuck behind this car for a while. Annoyingly the brake lights kept flashing at random times which suggested drunk driver or old bastard. After what seemed like an eternity the car turned right and sure enough, really old bastard woman driver. I wasn't in a hurry and it didn't bother me too much, I expect the worst around this time of year on the roads late at night. 

At 65 they need yearly reaction, theory and eye tests. It should be the responsibility of their GP to notify the DVLA of any person that is unfit to drive due to their health. The DVLA in turn should then add that to a database that insurance companies can use to flag them. The police and those number plate recognition cameras that are everywhere can then weed them out. 

I still believe that bad drivers cause more accidents than anything else. I lose count of the times I have to react to avoid accidents that would have been caused by poor drivers. The lack of highway code basics sometimes astounds me, how the hell did most of these idiots pass their tests. 

• Upvote 1

String vests been driving for 792 years. 

Hope this helps. 

Too fucking right.  And no-one has ever accused me of driving slowly.  I have, however, been accused of driving too quickly.  Too often.  By the police. And I drive a big Audi so you lot had better get the fuck out of my way. 

Believe me, as someone who has driven for a living old people, young people, drunk people are not the problem.

Female Asian drivers are the biggest menace out there. Amytime I look in my mirrors and see a car coming with a Hello Kitty sticker or air freshner I get the fuck out of the way.

They may love long time for five dollars but they sure cannot drive.

Guest Pistonbroke

Whilst out and about driving I never see old people sat at traffic lights or even driving on busy roads looking at their mobile phones, it's always the young ones as it seems they can't get by without checking in on their social network sites every fucking 2 minutes.