You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inequality

AngryOfTuebrook

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It should be pointed out that A Red claims to drive for a foodbank but then takes the piss out of poor people's gardens because 'pride costs nothing'.

Ziggy says there's a 96.8% chance he's an arsehole.

I think poor people should, if physically able, make a bit of an effort to keep their front gardens tidy. I think all people should, rich or poor. You dont need to add that to driving for a foodbank to make the sum being me an arsehole, i'm most certainly one.

I do think people should get the benefits they're entitled to regardless of who they voted for though, so I guess that will upset you.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone ever watch that rich house poor house? It's quite good and we've been watching it for years, but have noticed the wealthy folks' sources of income seem to be getting increasingly ambiguous.

Business guru/advisor types, marketing experts and all round billy bullshitters, or property types. Nobody seems to "do stuff", own factories, coach companies or bricks and mortar businesses with actual staff. It's bizarre. The country seems to be becoming 5% linkedin and 95% deliveroo.

12 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Does anyone ever watch that rich house poor house? It's quite good and we've been watching it for years, but have noticed the wealthy folks' sources of income seem to be getting increasingly ambiguous.

Business guru/advisor types, marketing experts and all round billy bullshitters, or property types. Nobody seems to "do stuff", own factories, coach companies or bricks and mortar businesses with actual staff. It's bizarre. The country seems to be becoming 5% linkedin and 95% deliveroo.

I’ve got an amazing opportunity for you.....

• Upvote 1

On 25/02/2021 at 17:05, A Red said:

I think poor people should, if physically able, make a bit of an effort to keep their front gardens tidy. I think all people should, rich or poor. You dont need to add that to driving for a foodbank to make the sum being me an arsehole, i'm most certainly one.

I do think people should get the benefits they're entitled to regardless of who they voted for though, so I guess that will upset you.

Poor people rarely own their gardens.That may be the problem.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kepler-186 said:

Numerous threads would have been suitable for this article. I know things weren’t perfect before 2007/8, and the net and social media weren’t as all powerful as they are now but it seems unlikely things are going to improve much. 

https://eand.co/how-britain-became-the-dumbest-society-in-the-world-e90431463924

All entirely predictable too.

• Upvote 1

On 08/03/2021 at 20:07, VladimirIlyich said:

Poor people rarely own their gardens.That may be the problem.

Im a self certified front garden fascist! Around 2006/7  my wife and I bought our first house, a 2 bed mid terrace on a nice culd-de-sac that all had small front gardens. 99% kept the front gardens neat and tidy.

Then came the invasion of buy to lets, these type of houses being prime stuff. The majority of let properties let the gardens go to shit. Weeds up to your knees, the odd sofa etc.

We sold up when the Mrs got pregnant, we didnt move too far away and ultimately sold to someone who let it out- passed it a few times since and the garden is a fucking wilderness with the fine Pittisporum shrub I planted in the centre very much dead for all to see. I planted that 14 years ago. I think I might knock the door this weekend and offer to replace it for them. Cost around £4 and take 10mins       

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Im a self certified front garden fascist! Around 2006/7  my wife and I bought our first house, a 2 bed mid terrace on a nice culd-de-sac that all had small front gardens. 99% kept the front gardens neat and tidy.

Then came the invasion of buy to lets, these type of houses being prime stuff. The majority of let properties let the gardens go to shit. Weeds up to your knees, the odd sofa etc.

We sold up when the Mrs got pregnant, we didnt move too far away and ultimately sold to someone who let it out- passed it a few times since and the garden is a fucking wilderness with the fine Pittisporum shrub I planted in the centre very much dead for all to see. I planted that 14 years ago. I think I might knock the door this weekend and offer to replace it for them. Cost around £4 and take 10mins       

All because of the council house sell off and property developers buying them and councils not being allowed to release the money. Great stuff.

• Upvote 1

To be fair I dont remember taking the piss out of poor peoples front gardens but if section says I did then I did. Anyone that has a front garden, council, let or privately owned and is physically able has a responsibility to look after it if only for the sake of their neighbours.

To say poor people dont have gardens is silly, yes i understand many are in flats but many arent. Oh, and you can actually own a house and still be poor, I see plenty of them.

• Upvote 2

I agree on people keeping their properties tidy if they're capable. Even with valid reasons in a council property you can use public services to make sure your property is kept to a certain standard. In some cases it may be the council or housing development themselves who are letting the tenants down but I grew up on a council estate and most of the messiest shitholes the people in them had no excuse beyond not caring. It doesn't just apply to rental, council properties or poorer people. Some people are just scruffy lazy bastards and we dont need to make excuses for them. 

I watched a YouTube video years ago about a woman who created a charity to improve impoverished black areas in America with green spaces and putting flowers and trees in areas that traditionally didn't have any and it made a difference to the areas to peoples sense of pride and respect. The government should have programmes to elevate areas introduce something beautiful to make people proud of their area. Theres probably a million subtle things that can gently nudge people towards respect again.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I agree on people keeping their properties tidy if they're capable. Even with valid reasons in a council property you can use public services to make sure your property is kept to a certain standard. In some cases it may be the council or housing development themselves who are letting the tenants down but I grew up on a council estate and most of the messiest shitholes the people in them had no excuse beyond not caring. It doesn't just apply to rental, council properties or poorer people. Some people are just scruffy lazy bastards and we dont need to make excuses for them. 

I watched a YouTube video years ago about a woman who created a charity to improve impoverished black areas in America with green spaces and putting flowers and trees in areas that traditionally didn't have any and it made a difference to the areas to peoples sense of pride and respect. The government should have programmes to elevate areas introduce something beautiful to make people proud of their area. Theres probably a million subtle things that can gently nudge people towards respect again.

The easiest thing would be to create jobs,put money in their pockets and their taxes could fund public services such as landscaping and rented property repairs.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It was illegal for everyone else to attend but Kate who turned up without a mask was working so it's fine but it wasn't a publicity stunt... but oh but.... Meghan stole Harry! 

16 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

You wouldn't believe it. "The Day Kate & Wills Got Married" is on ITV Next week at 9. 

On 31/03/2021 at 19:48, Colonel Kurtz said:

This must be an old reference but did somebody really suggest that voting in a way they didn't like (I'm guessing Tory) should exclude you from welfare and hence you should starve ? 

It seems to be the way Tory governments feel about many people who vote Labour. Particularly on Merseyside.

On 31/03/2021 at 19:48, Colonel Kurtz said:

This must be an old reference but did somebody really suggest that voting in a way they didn't like (I'm guessing Tory) should exclude you from welfare and hence you should starve ? 

Not much of a reference if you're not sure if anyone actually said it.

Can people please stop trying to denigrate our fragrant English rose, Miss Middleton-Windsor....

If she does give a shit about violence against women she should come out and say that she attended the vigil in a personal capacity, not as official business, and leave Cressida holding her dick.