You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watford Away - Sunday 20th Dec 1.30pm

Paco

My biggest concern with Firmino is actually the one game that he did turn it on for.

After the City game I was thinking 'OK so he's needed some time to settle but it looks like we've got ourselves a player here after all.'  Now I find myself wondering if we've got the sterotypical foreign player who turns it on for the big games but can't be arsed on the proverbial wet Tuesday night in Scunthorpe.  If it's the latter you'd have to hope Klopp won't be having any of it but then he apparently rates the lad highly based on his time in Germany; I can only assume that he didn't spend much of it looking as disinterested and borderline clueless as he has for much of his time here so far.

This goes back to Rafa, and probably well beyond that. Something in the back of the collective head just throws a switch. Today is not a new thing for this club.

• Upvote 1

Frankly, I don't think mauling Chelsea and City mean's a damn thing. Anybody can beat anybody in football. Borussia Monchengladbach beat Bayern 3-1 2 weeks ago and lost 5-0 to Leverkusen a week later. My point is average teams (like us and Monchengladbach) will occasionally get shock results, then they fall back down to earth.

The good teams beat the teams they are supposed to beat and we don't.

If anybody can beat anybody that just means our losses to Newcastle and Watford are just par for the course then? Using your logic at least.

We are holding ourselves to a much higher standard than we deserve considering our recent form so its very unfair to blame the manager for all the ills when we were even worse last season. I am pretty certain that most of our recent acquisitions would NOT have been chosen by Klopp. He is not blameless by any standards and omitting a striker from the starting line up and not taking Watford seriously enough were a massive cock up today but he certainly deserves some more time given his previous managerial roles both lasted 7 years and he hasnt been here 7 months yet!

I am not sure that the greatest manager in the world could do much with our shower.

When you have players lacking the very things needed to be a good side you are gonna struggle whoever you are/however good you are tactically and at motivating/ getting performances.

Our problems run deep, deep into the kind of men we have in our team. Swap most of these with men of similar ability or even slightly less ability but with stronger minds and better physicallity and you would see better stuff.

They are weak in the main, very weak.

• Upvote 1

^^^^constant transition.

That said this time with a manager of this calibre it is time to just bite the bullet one more time and clear out all the malingering shite from previous eras and start a brand new one with a new culture, a new mentality and a better plan.

We can't expect most of the mediocre shite we have assmebled to get us to where we want to be.

Let the new man build it again in his image.

Good post and I agree but I don't think it tells the full story.

I just don't believe some players are really that bad, especially Firmino. It just doesn't make any sense that he could come here from Germany as a world beater and turn into Carlton Cole overnight. I literally did not see a single person unhappy with that signing and yet he is now being slated, and rightly so.

He has struck me however as a bit of a ponce who only plays well when those around him are also doing their job. That's fine, it's not pleasant but unfortunately it's the mentality of a lot of the world's best players these days, (just look at Hazard and Costa at Chelsea) and that's just the way it is. The problem is we have too many of these players who just don't cut it when they don't like something or can't be arsed. It's not time to ship them out as I still have every confidence he'd be brilliant if we had a few players with a bit of a spine to play in the team with him, problem is we don't.

Yeah, it's right to be pissed off and on form very few of these players deserve to be here, but once we get a few real leaders and change the mentality I think some of the under performers could finally start earning their keep.

Start at the back and go forward down the spine

New Keeper , Better CB , These should be achievable

DM . Lucas has reverted to shite since his brief resurgence

Strikers will be the hardest element but we have to get better than Benteke and we can write sicknote Sturridge off. 

4 or 5 first team starters by the start of next season is the min required and a clear out of the shite

Strikers will be the hardest element but we have to get better than Benteke and we can write sicknote Sturridge off. 

4 or 5 first team starters by the start of next season is the min required and a clear out of the shite

I would start at the front.

Get a good striker. Convert a few chances and the pressure relieves from the back.

• Upvote 1

The talk when Klopp arrived was that the days of 8-9 signings every summer were over and the club were planning on buying only 3 big signings each year.

The talk when Klopp arrived was that the days of 8-9 signings every summer were over and the club were planning on buying only 3 big signings each year.

3 big signings would transform this team.

Proper rock at the back, proper dominating midfielder and proper striker who stays fit. We'd be miles ahead of where we are now.

Football's just nuts.

Leicester are proof of that.

We sit here going on about overhauls and money spent.

The only player at Leicester I wanted from last season was Cambiasso- and he left in the summer.

Sometimes team spirit and desire can build momentum and take you places.

There's no quick fix but I always think a new manager should get at least 2 players in as quick as possible to start shaping the team.

In our case, a goalkeeper and a centre forward in Jan. Two truly decent players in those positions and we suddenly look half threatening again.

The rest can wait until summer

People saying we need to scrap the whole team all the time is wide of the mark and a bit tedious.

We need to reshape the team, yes, but we don't need 11 new players and it needn't take 3 years to assemble.

It isn't the whole team...but it is a lot of it.

For me we need:

A new keeper- who does not frighten his defence and who can deal with alehouse shite

A dominant centre half who can organise

A left back - who can defend and attack

A DM - energy, grit, ball winner and power

A CM - energy, power and ball player

A striker - genuine pace and intelligent movement with finishing

That is 6 new first team ready starters.

And for fucks sake make sure they aren't timid weak men like we have a load of.

The squad then needs padding out with adequate cover in a few areas.

It isn't the whole team...but it is a lot of it.

For me we need:

A new keeper- who does not frighten his defence and who can deal with alehouse shite

A dominant centre half who can organise

A left back - who can defend and attack

A DM - energy, grit, ball winner and power

A CM - energy, power and ball player

A striker - genuine pace and intelligent movement with finishing

That is 6 new first team ready starters.

The squad then needs padding out with adequate cover in a few areas.

That would leave us as title contenders but I think just getting even a couple of those would give other players already here the necessary poker up the arse to give a shit again and recapture their previous form. If you're to believe those who say Rodgers' good season was entirely down to Suarez even one might do it!

Saying we need to completely scrap everything is a bit sensationalist for me, but the club has obviously shared this mentality if previous transfer windows are anything to go by. This January we need to buy smart, not in bulk.

That would leave us as title contenders but I think just getting even a couple of those would give other players already here the necessary poker up the arse to give a shit again and recapture their previous form. If you're to believe those who say Rodgers' good season was entirely down to Suarez even one might do it!

Saying we need to completely scrap everything is a bit sensationalist for me, but the club has obviously shared this mentality if previous transfer windows are anything to go by. This January we need to buy smart, not in bulk.

For me do it in Jan - as much as can get (as long as it is the right sort) let them bed in and get used to here for rest of season and then be ready to go big time next season....

Even 4 new players settling in wouldn't do much worse than this shower...can we really watch Lucas get outpaced and outmuscled week in week out for rest of season or if it isn't him Allen...or watch our centre halves get smashed, outpaced and outfought...can we wait for sturridge's vagina to heal....etc.

Plus i honestly believe the summer is a bad time to buy as the euros will fuck up pre season and we will be left yet again with new lads settling in without a proper pre season and no pl experience.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes team spirit and desire can build momentum and take you places.

Sometimes? How about all the time - and if you couple that with quality you win trophies.

We've got quality but we seriously lack players who are interested, let alone determined, in winning trophies. Our scouts/manager have to see inside players a little better and identify those desperate to win. To do that, they have to be like that.

That was Rodgers' problem. He never won anything as a player or a manager so couldn't very recognise qualities he didn't have. Klopp has won, and is clearly desperate to win more. I trust him to find not necessarily the most technically gifted but the most testicularly gifted. Until then, it's going be a slog.

• Upvote 2

For me do it in Jan - as much as can get (as long as it is the right sort) let them bed in and get used to here for rest of season and then be ready to go big time next season....

Even 4 new players settling in wouldn't do much worse than this shower...can we really watch Lucas get outpaced and outmuscled week in week out for rest of season or if it isn't him Allen...or watch our centre halves get smashed, outpaced and outfought...can we wait for sturridge's vagina to heal....etc.

Plus i honestly believe the summer is a bad time to buy as the euros will fuck up pre season and we will be left yet again with new lads settling in without a proper pre season and no pl experience.

Some of our dealings have been strange to say the least... putting Lucas up for sale and then changing our minds when Henderson gets an injury, or sending Carroll out on loan leaving us with one striker, or offering Henderson as a makeweight for Clint Dempsey. Baffling. I just hope and pray that they will let Klopp do his job this time, and don't leave it too late.