You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think I've created a monster

Captain Turdseye

My step-son is nearly 12 and started secondary school in September. He's a boss kid, polite, funny, really clever and well behaved. A few on here have met him on TSOP outings. He told me last week that some kid keeps picking on him in his science class so I told him to snarl at this kid and gave him permission to tell him to fuck off. I didn't think he would but he came home on Monday, told me it worked and that the other kid had apologised. Job done. He's found the bottle to stick up for himself and he knows, or at least we thought he knew, that he could only behave that way when he's faced with a bully.

We've just had a phone call from the school. Today he's told a girl that he'll rape her in her sleep. He's been put into isolation and Mrs Turdseye is gonna go medieval on his arse when he gets home. I don't want her to punish him too much because it's completely out of character but I'm beginning to wonder where he's hearing shit like that. Obviously there's little bastards everywhere but how have those of you with teenagers managed to keep them on the straight and narrow without resorting to OTT discipline? Keeping in mind that I'm trying to calm the situation, he's not my boy (although we have a boss relationship) and I don't want to end up in a situation where we're constantly butting heads for the next few years.

I won't be advising him to tell anyone else to fuck off for a while anyway.

And breathe...

Has anyone heard his side of the story yet?

Nearly 12, you say. I can't imagine how he would have any adult understanding of the meaning of what he is supposed to have said.

Equally, we don't (you may, of course) know the context in which this was said.

I, too,have been on the receiving end of phone calls from the school, discovered things that challenge your view of your kid, and usually they turn out to be far less sinister than your first fears.

And Anubis is right, schools have very strict and unwieldy protocols for these kind of situations and will likely have had little choice in how they have responded.

He's been given swift justice at school and will no doubt have been told by school that they have informed you, so he will be expecting something to happen when he gets in. Let him get in and if he doesnt mention it, speak to him as soon as you reasonably can and just tell him the school has been in touch and ask him what happened. His response and your relationship with him will determine what you do then.

If this is as out of character as you suggest, a conversation, during which you put across your views about the inappropriateness of such language and that you dont expect it to happen again should suffice. And then make contact with the school in the morning to let them know how you dealt with it.

And fingers crossed that's an end to it.

And trust your judgement. By all accounts he's a great kid

• Upvote 1

My mum got called into school once when they found me bouncing the head of another into the ground. My excuse of "My Mum said if i didnt hit him back she'd hit me" didnt fly at school. Well until she came in and said good and he'll do it again if somebody bullies him anyway

I want to know is 'isolation' like the cooler in the Great Escape?

Yeah, me too. They had/have a cooler in Waterloo Road. What are they and do they have them in all English secondary schools? I don't think such things exist here; not by those names anyway

It's that youth club he goes to. A breeding ground for sleep rapers.

Or so Donald Trump says.

Back the missus, but make sure you get on the same page with her beforehand. Any sign of weakness or non-unity on the issue he will sense and then you will be in trouble later on. He is entering the teen years. In other words- constant boundary pushing, fibbing, alcohol nicking, testing the limits of how far girls will let him get (sleep raping is really going pretty far, should really just start with trying to cop a feel). The rotten teenagers love nothing more than playing off parents to achieve thier devious wants.

• Upvote 1

I think you need him to empathize with the girl and try to get him to see why saying something like that is inappropriate.

He needs to understand that words like that can cause feelings of fear and insecurity.

Basically, just tell him that you are going to rape him in his sleep.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

I think you need him to empathize with the girl and try to get him to see why saying something like that is inappropriate.

He needs to understand that words like that can cause feelings of fear and insecurity.

Basically, just tell him that you are going to rape him in his sleep.

Sorry, negged this by accident. Can somebody correct it for me.

He's been given down the banks and had all his privileges taken away after explaining himself. Turns out he said it in anger after some girls were winding him up. It's safe to say that he won't fancy being told off by his mum like that again. When I said I wouldn't be surprised if the police knocked on the door I think a little poo came out. He shit himself as well. 

He's going to be writing letters to the girl and the teacher explaining why he felt the need to do it, how sorry he is and the steps he's gonna take to make sure something like this doesn't happen again. Nice one to whoever came up with that one.

I reckon he might just be regretting it. Hopefully it's lesson learned.

• Upvote 7

Here's some suggested text;

I'm hoping that you'll realise this is completely out of character for me. I'm

Going to have to make it up to you, my parents and my peers at school.

To be honest I'm ashamed of myself, even though I was angry there is no excuse.

Rape is a horrific crime - to threaten someone like that is inexcusable.

You will hopefully be able to find it in your heart to forgive me.

• Upvote 9