You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think I've created a monster

Captain Turdseye

My word. Tough justice in your house, mate. I'm a bit taken aback, to be honest

Taken aback? Proper parenting isn't that rare, surely?

Yes, I was taken aback by the severity of the punishment for, in CT's words, something said in anger.

And, no, I don't think proper parenting is rare. I think that is what most people are doing day in and day out to the best of the abilities and as with so many things in life it was the few who skew the bigger picture

He had already been punished at school by the time he got home. To my mind, some well chosen words, backing up the point, hopefully made by the school about the inappropriateness of what he had just said would probably have sufficed.

I have had 2 teens. I've never punished either of them, beyond letting them hear my views. There has never seemed any need. I trust anyone who has met my boy would support this

The school shouldn't be 100% responsible for the childs discipline. Its thinking like that that leads to the shirking of parental responsibility, which is unfortunately so common these days.

Absolutely, schools shouldn't be 100% responsible for discipline of children. I see it as one of the main tasks of parenting to bring children up to understand right from wrong and become decent, contributing citizens but that's not what I was saying. And for my own part, I see my job as a parent to teach/show my own children how to behave so that others don't have to.

You are aware his boy isn't yours aren't you? Just because you have never punished your kids (seriously? Not even a naughty step or a Telly ban?) doesn't make someone else doing it worthy of criticism.

It's not like the lad got the buckle end, either. He got a bollocking and had to write some letters. Is fucking right, in my view. Kids should face up to what they've done and make amends. What possible harm is there in that?

And, yes, I am aware that CT's boy isn't mine and what I said was that I was taken aback/surprised by the extent of the punishment he got at home. I wasnt criticising; I dont know that full story. I said I was taken aback. You will see that I had already said that, if I'd been faced with a similar situation, after giving my child the chance to say what had happened I would have let it be known that saying what he had said was completely unacceptable, that s/he needed to understand why that was the case and then to say that you support the school's action and that I wouldnt expect such behaviour to be repeated.

And seriously, I dont think I have ever punished my kids, beyond firm words. No naughty step, no banning anything, no grounding. I've just never had to  

Yes, I was taken aback by the severity of the punishment for, in CT's words, something said in anger.

I don't think it's severe at all for what he actually said. He's essentially lost his gadgets, this weeks pocket money and he won't be doing the stuff he normally does at the weekend. Youth club, cinema, sleepovers. That's his punishment, he'll get no more grief for it. It's Christmas next week, by which time he'll have it all back and more.

Go on, what was the second one?

There's no way to say this without it sounding mental, but I was forced to eat a salad.

I was a healthy kid, but I had an abnormal hatred of cold food like that, and still do. It showed how tailoring the punishment was more important than the perceived severity though; I would've preferred a smack and loss of privileges for a week. Fucking slimy lettuce that even the dog wouldn't take.

• Upvote 2

Buy a pair of crocs from Primark. Put them on the table and say that the next complaint from school you are taking his smart shoes off him and he is wearing them to school. My mate used it on his lad and the kid's gone from cunt to super swot

Just lend him yours you arl arse.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it's severe at all for what he actually said. He's essentially lost his gadgets, this weeks pocket money and he won't be doing the stuff he normally does at the weekend. Youth club, cinema, sleepovers. That's his punishment, he'll get no more grief for it. It's Christmas next week, by which time he'll have it all back and more.

Did you ever find out where he got the expression from? Or is it just something that gets thrown around between kids without any thought given to the brutality of the meaning of the words? Genuine question as I hope we are just agreeing to differ on our response to what happened

Did you ever find out where he got the expression from? Or is it just something that gets thrown around between kids without any thought given to the brutality of the meaning of the words? Genuine question as I hope we are just agreeing to differ on our response to what happened

I know ... You have been letting him play Grand Theft Auto, haven't you?   ...Rape you in your sleep, shoot your baby in the head, hoe type shit

Yeah, that was the first thing she asked him. He knows exactly what it means and he's heard it from boys in the schoolyard. He told us their names but we don't know them, they're different to the kids he knocks about with normally. His usual mates are pretty similar to him. Polite, funny, etc, and we have them round here for sleepovers all the time.

A couple of the parents have asked that the sleepovers stop, of course. Once they realised that I'm a monster that rules his house with an iron fist and excessively punishes children for the slightest infringement, they decided that they'd rather not have them round here.

Yeah, that was the first thing she asked him. He knows exactly what it means and he's heard it from boys in the schoolyard. He told us their names but we don't know them, they're different to the kids he knocks about with normally. His usual mates are pretty similar to him. Polite, funny, etc, and we have them round here for sleepovers all the time.

A couple of the parents have asked that the sleepovers stop, of course. Once they realised that I'm a monster that rules his house with an iron fist and excessively punishes children for the slightest infringement, they decided that they'd rather not have them round here.

Behave yourself!

They'll be delighted as it'll reflect well on them to their kids!

• Upvote 1

If some kid said that to my daughter, it's fair to say I'd be beyond furious - and I've got a short temper as it is.

Totally agree, I'd be the same. If I caught sight of the dad and he turned out to be much, much smaller than I am, I wouldn't hesitate to kick his head in.

Seriously though, I'm pretty confident it won't happen again. He's a smart kid, he's sorry for all the right reasons and Mrs Turdseye has made it clear that falling in with a bad crowd and turning mouthy won't be tolerated.

The boy's got skills and could go far. When he was in primary school he was one of only a handful of kids in this town that were invited up to the secondary school one afternoon a week for advanced maths lessons. We all know how easy it is to get into the wrong crowd, just don't want him falling into the same trap.

• Upvote 2

Totally agree, I'd be the same. If I caught sight of the dad and he turned out to be much, much smaller than I am, I wouldn't hesitate to kick his head in.

and he turned out to be much, much smaller than I am, I wouldn't hesitate to kick his head in.

This should always be inserted when any bloke plays the hardman and goes on about hitting someone they havent seen or know what they are like

Seriously though, I'm pretty confident it won't happen again. He's a smart kid, he's sorry for all the right reasons and Mrs Turdseye has made it clear that falling in with a bad crowd and turning mouthy won't be tolerated.

The boy's got skills and could go far. When he was in primary school he was one of only a handful of kids in this town that were invited up to the secondary school one afternoon a week for advanced maths lessons. We all know how easy it is to get into the wrong crowd, just don't want him falling into the same trap.

Everyone's allowed to step out of line once in a while, especially when youre a kid. He's got a good home. Have faith in yourselves

• Upvote 1